The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Area IV Peeps: Dunnabeck Horse Trials Beginner Novice Course?

I am thinking of going to Dunnabeck Horse Trials with my 5 year old mare and was wondering how difficult the beginner novice course is? I did a search on it but nothing came up.

I know the Area IV Championships will be held there this fall but I assume there will be a different (easier) cross country track for the regular divisions.

My mare is green but I have taken her to a lot of schooling horse trials, XC schoolings, hunter shows and jumping lessons off site in the past 6 months. She seems to get more brave with each outing and I have several more shows/schoolings planned before September. I just don't want to set her up to fail if the course is too hard.

Thanks for any insight you all are willing to give!
    Corgigirl14

check out their website: http://www.dunnabeckhorsetrials.org/index.htm

In my experience, they have gorgeous XC fences but there are definitely some big hills on the course. The SJ has some bright and interesting fences as well.

Good Luck!
    No Trouble
    2/2/05 - 7/29/13
    Rest In Peace my quirky brave boy, I will love you forever.

I haven't been there yet either (hopefully this year) but have heard it is pretty hilly and the courses are good championship-level courses. I would expect to have to answer championship level questions no matter what division you are in, I was in the non-championship division @ Hunter Oaks last year and would have ran the same course as the championship group (if it wasn't all called off due to torrential rain!)
    Sounds like you are already planning on it, but you should definitely go to the Cedar Lane mini (Aug 8th) and the Queeny Park mini (Aug 28th) events and see how your mare handles those, from what I have heard we can expect Dunnabeck to be a step up in difficulty from both. Good luck!