The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Favorite summer (or winter) schooling breeches?

Hi,

Does anyone have a favorite brand or style of schooling breeches for hot, HUMID summer riding? I've been riding in jeans but think I should go back (and its been a long time) to tights or breeches. BTW, what is the diff between breeches and tights? No knee patches? Thats the only diff I see. Also any reccomendations on winter breeches? Thanks!

In the summer, I swear by the Devon-Aire Versailles breeches. They're a little pricey but last for a while & are so thin for riding in!
    Last edited by iEquitate; Jul. 19, 2010 at 09:23 PM. Reason: taking out unnecessary italics

Talking

I swear by my Irideon summer and winter stuff. not sure what the styles are called, one type is stretchy and corded, one style is maybe cool max...it's super thin, kinda lycra like. In hot, muggy, humid, and this year, gross, Virginia, they have both been wonderful. And, they dry so fast I love getting wet when I give the horse his shower!

The winter ones have a polar fleece lining and a wind blocking outer. Hay sticks to em, but they are toasty!

I just got a pair of Devon-Aire Hipster X-wear tights, because I liked my other Devon-Aire ribbed tights so well and they were so cool. Absolutely love the X-wear ones--they're a little thicker than the ribbed ones, but the material is wicking and they feel amazingly light and cool. Actually felt a little indecent for a moment when I first started walking in them--doesn't feel like you're actually wearing pants. (:

Winter Breeches - Goode Rider, full seat dressage breeches. Have totally fallen in love with the fit and the material is nice and thick.

For summer riding tights( pull on no zipper-main difference in breeches/tights) I have been wearing Tropical Rider brand tights. I have two types the Tropix rider which is a stretchy cotton, and Endurocool which is more of a lycra shiny material. Both of these have extended patches which come up into the crotch. I have another pair of tights that are stretchy cotton can't remember what brand think they may be Devonaire. Most tights come with knee patches at the very least. Tropical Rider has knee patches, extended patches and full seat. For winter I wear Tropical Rider Toasties. Love them.

Just started wearing Tropical Rider Extreme Breeches with knee patches that are very comfortable. Found a pair, inexpensive, on Ebay. I'm not a fan of riding tights because they just don't fit me properly (always sagging and having to pull them up). In the winter I wear Tropical Rider Toasties, which are very stretchy so don't buy them too big. . Like the fullseats which seem to keep my butt warmer. Look through TR's inventory clearance page for some great deals.
    1. Bozone (n.): The substance surrounding stupid people that stops bright ideas from penetrating. The bozone layer, unfortunately, shows little sign of breaking down in the near future.

I love the Kerrits breathe tight II for summer and winters down here don't get that cold so I wear anything!!
    No Worries!

I don't wear anything special in summer, usually my TS schooling breeches. But for winter I swear by Smartpak's winter breeches, can't remember what they are called. They are awesome!

Tights can have knee patches, but they are pull-ons, generally have elastic waist or a drawstring instead of a zipper. I don't like them.

For summer, I always love my Tuff Rider ribbed breeches. They're light enough weight to be cool, but have a nice, forgiving material that doesn't show all lumps and bumps! Since it doesn't get that cold here in winter (Sacramento) I don't need any type of special breech. I'm actually usually trying to peel off layers in the winter, wishing I was wearing just a t-shirt, by the time my lesson is done!

I like my Kerrits f-Low rise tights for most of the year, and I have fuzzy polartec Irideons for winter. In the really hot weather, I have a pair of Irideon Freestride pants...they are slightly boot cut, look like regular pants (no knee patches) and fit like jeans, but they're lightweight and don't have thick inner seams to scar your saddle the way jeans do. I was lucky enough to get a pair cheaply off eBay, they're more than I would usually spend on schooling clothes at regular price.

For the price these breeches can't be beat for hot summer Florida humid riding: http://www.doversaddlery.com/product...&ids=735497186

Super lightweight and easy to keep clean, stretchy and the material conceals any possible sweat stains that other materials don't! The cotton riding pants get soaked with sweat and attract dirt, these seem to repel it. They're cheap, come in flattering colors, and last forever. I think they look more expensive than they are.

Quote Originally Posted by equidae View Post
    For the price these breeches can't be beat for hot summer Florida humid riding: http://www.doversaddlery.com/product...&ids=735497186

Super lightweight and easy to keep clean, stretchy and the material conceals any possible sweat stains that other materials don't! The cotton riding pants get soaked with sweat and attract dirt, these seem to repel it. They're cheap, come in flattering colors, and last forever. I think they look more expensive than they are.
    PS: They're also very slimming! I like the darker to color options so I don't worry as much about what my butt is doing when I'm sitting the trot.. lol.

I like tuffrider in general. But I especially like the Tuffrider aerocool. They don't seem to stick to me quite as much as my other tuffriders in summer.
    They are a bit more expensive, but Adams' has a decent price:
    http://www.adamshorsesupply.com/browse.cfm/4,1284.html

This is my first summer with the Tropical Rider breeches, and I wish I had found them years ago! I have both the Tropix and Enduracool and I don't care to wear anything else. They are fabulous!

For winter, I really like my Equissentials winter breeches.

Happy shopping!
    "We need a pinned ears icon." -MysticOakRanch

Thank you for all your replies!! Huge help!!

Another vote for the Devon-aire Versailles. I just got a pair, and I'm in love with how comfortable they are in the hideous heat we have here.

Are there any that don't show sweat as much? Maybe that distribute the sweat to the whole thing? I, um, look a little suspect when I get done riding because of where I sweat.
    A proud friend of bar.ka.

Quote Originally Posted by chaser74 View Post
    I swear by my Irideon summer and winter stuff. not sure what the styles are called, one type is stretchy and corded, one style is maybe cool max...it's super thin, kinda lycra like. In hot, muggy, humid, and this year, gross, Virginia, they have both been wonderful. And, they dry so fast I love getting wet when I give the horse his shower!

The winter ones have a polar fleece lining and a wind blocking outer. Hay sticks to em, but they are toasty!
    Love the Irideon Cadance tights for summer...much cooler than breeches.

Now for winter, I prefer my Equissentials Artics to anything else (I do have the Irideon winter breeches, but dont' like them as much)