The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Keurings and the young foal....

Would you all take a mare and two month old foal to a keuring that required a haul of seven hours? They would have a big, deeply bedded box in the trailer.

It just seems like too much for such a wee one. Am I being too cautious?
    Kanoe Godby
    www.dyrkgodby.com
    See, I was raised by wolves and am really behind the 8-ball on diplomatic issue resolution.

My answer: NO!

Right now it is 94 degrees outside, I can't imagine trailer in the kind of heat for 7 hours, a keuring and another 7 hours back.

Must be better opinions.
    http://www.herselffarm.com
    Proud of my Hunter Breeding Princesses
    "Grief is the price we all pay for love," Gretchen Jackson (1/29/07) In Memory of Barbaro

You could travel by night if it is two warm but I suspect that the keuring you are talking about will be in September? I find that a two months old competing against older foals stand less chances but if you go to have the opinion of the judges on your breeding choice it doesn't really matter.

I brought my broodmare and her 2 months and a half filly two weeks ago to a vet clinic 7 hours away and it was HOT. We decided to travel by night so we left at midnight to arrive at 7 in the morning and they were cool and fresh as roses upon arrival.
    Last edited by bloomingtonfarm; Jul. 19, 2010 at 02:56 PM. Reason: to add
    Suzanne
    bloomingtonfarm.com
    Breeder of Royal Dutch Sport Horse

We hauled 10 hours each way to last years. 2 foals with moms and a 3 year old. Colt was perfect. Filly was a little tired, but everybody was great. It was in Sept so not that hot. Big box stalls and a stock trailer, so air flow too. We arrived the day before and settled in too.
    Holly
    www.ironhorsefrm.com
    Oldenburg foals and young prospects
    LIKE us on Facebook!

No.

I would not do it. It isn't worth the risk.

I guess since they ship 4 month olds from EUROPE that 7 hours in a big bedded box didn't seem like a big deal.
    Holly
    www.ironhorsefrm.com
    LIKE us on Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Horse Farm View Post
    I guess since they ship 4 month olds from EUROPE that 7 hours in a big bedded box didn't seem like a big deal.
    But would you want to have them inspected by their registry the day or day after they arrived from Europe? I don't think so. Some foals do better than others with long trips - a lot depends on the type of road (how smooth the trailer ride), the dam, weather conditions, etc., etc.. It is a risk that I'm not willing to take in most cases.
    Martha Haley - NeverSayNever Farm
    2009 KWN-NA Breeder of the Year/Silver Level Breeder
    www.angelfire.com/ns2/our_horses/
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Never...01844536521951

Not something I would do either -- too stressful and tiring, plus if the mare is newly in foal, I like to keep their environment as low key as possible. We're taking one 2 1/2 hours this year, and I'm still not really comfortable about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Horse Farm View Post
    I have purchased foals in Europe and pay to board them over there until they are an appropriate age to ship, in my opinion. I would not wean or ship a foal at 4 months old absent extenuating circumstances.

Also, consider the (ac'd?) ride on a relatively smooth (ride-wise) plane box stall, compared to a hot, noisy, vibrating ride in a trailer on the road. Not very comparable in that aspect.

Wow, I guess I'm the odd one out. We really don't think much about travel since we are kinda far from everything. You have to travel to get anywhere. 1.5 hours each way to get to the repro vet - foals will make this trip for the first time at 9 days so mom can be rebred. This is why we got a BIG stock trailer (aluminum - doesn't get as hot) with box stalls.

Also, unless you pay through the nose, foals on airplanes are shipped aprox 4 to a pallet - NOT in a box.

We got our last one from Germany at 6 months and she was the oldest one on the pallet.

Guess it is all in the perspective. We started our breeding program years ago with TB mares - they were so used to travel to train, race and breed that we don't give it a whole lot of thought. I have sooooo many other things to worry about having horses!
    Holly
    www.ironhorsefrm.com
    LIKE us on Facebook!

Default What about overnighting somewhere at the half way point?

Have you considered stopping half way to overnight somewhere? Maybe you could find someone with a foaling stall and paddock for them to sleep in for the night? :-)