The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Smile I know I'm going to regret this but...ABE video

I'm not sure why, and considering what we've been through you'd think I would have tons, but this is my first decent video of me riding Abe. I know I look like a flabby cow flopping around on him, but considering I haven't given him any bute in months and he's overdue for his Adequan, he was incredibly springy yesterday! So I asked DH to come out and take some video of us. Of course he ends up spooking at the scary guy with the camera, but all in all, I was really happy with him.

For those of you who don't know the story of Abe, I rescued him with CANTER's help back in 2004 (has it been that long!) after he had blown out his knee at the track in Northampton. He'd been injected twice and run again twice before the trainer finally quit on him. So with the help of several dozen COTHers, I took him home and got him the surgery he needed to remove several chips from his knee. Long story short, I would have been happy with him just being a pasture pet, but as you can see, he turned out to be much more. If you didn't know his story, you may not even notice that there's anything wrong with him.

So anyway, please don't be too mean to me, or my DH's, shall we say, "distracted" video technique (OOooo, look! What's the cute doggy doing?") and join me in my joy over seeing how Abe has made an almost complete recovery. He's not too bad a mover is he?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y30Ec...layer_embedded
    RIP Full Metal Jacket "Jack" 1998 -2/27/09
    RIP Salisbury Hill "Ted" 1979-4/2/10
    "God have mercy on the man who doubts what he's sure of" -Springsteen

Abe! He looks great!
    And so do you. A very happpy team together even if you are torturing him with scary guys on cars.

BTW, love the nice oversized deep run in! Looks nice and shady!
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

What a cutie Abe is! He looks like he's enjoying himself, and you give him a nice, quiet ride. By the way, you do *not* look like a "flabby cow flopping around on him." You are way too hard on yourself!

Hats off to you for being this guy's hero. It's clear that he is well-loved, and he seems like a sweetheart. The fact that you can enjoy him as more than a pasture-puff is icing on the cake for you
    Please consider adopting a horse from NY Sunshine Horses!

You guys look great! Keep up the good work. He is adorable.

He looks great.
    So do you.
    I'm happy for you!
    "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

...just settin' on the Group W bench.

"Mom, there's a scary. Do you see it?....Ok, still there. Scary......Hey Mom? You up there? Scary?.....Seriously? If you're not going to listen to me I'm just going to have to show you! *slams on breaks* Follow where I'm looking. Scary. See it now? That big thing that's trying to talk to me and sounds like Dad? Well I'm not buying it. That monster can't fool me-that's how ponies get eaten!"

Cute! You two are a great team and I love how expressive he is Also, your dogs are cute and Gimli is the most perfect Pomm name I've ever heard-loff it!
    the "I'm In My 20's and Hope to Be a Good Rider Someday" clique

Abe is a cutie!! He looks great! and let me say, my greenie goofball would have freaked out at the little puff of fur in the middle of the ring rather than someone videotaping.

You both look awesome!

He's a very cute horse, and he looks to have turned out to be a nice pleasure horse for you.

It's wonderful to hear stories where all a rescue needed was someone to care enough to give him a chance.

Thanks for sharing.

P.S. Hubby did a fine job except horse people want to see all the transitions... He needs to be told how important transitions are to horse people.
    Copyright ©2007-2012, Percheron X
    My creative work may be used on the COTH forum only.

Default Wow!

Abe looks great! Can you believe how far he's been able to come? I remember well when you took him from the fair (I helped get another horse from NH that year) and all you went through to make him well, congratulations you've been successful!!!! Enjoy your reward

P.S. You have the cutest group of dogs too.

Aw, you guys are too nice!

MB - thanks! That shed is the best improvement we made to the property!

Runin and bf1 - thank you!

Ghazzu - thanks for checking in! You've been such a help with him over the years - thank you!

sparky - And I can't tell you how many times we've had Gimli say "Don't toss me!"

heather - nah, usually Abe and Dixie are trying to stomp him!

Percheron - of course that was the FIRST thing I noticed when I watched it the first time - you missed all the canter transitions!

Tux - aw, thanks for remembering us. And those dogs are the WORST group of horse dogs you have ever come across! But I love them!

Heyyy be nice to yourself! You look great on him and he looks like a real great (if a bit cautious ) guy. Major kudos for being a wonderful mommy to him

He looks fabulous and happy and you don't look bad either. Ya done good by him!

He looks great! Such a lucky horse to have a good home.

He looks amazing! So happy and content too! (COTH should have a little smiley with hearts on it or something.) Wow. You must be pleased. He really is moving well. He's just so lovely. I'll never understand how he got that name!

Tell DH he did just fine. The video was really cute.

Abe is cute! I love his expressive face!!! That bull terrier is very cute too! Love the squiggley wiggley hiney!

WOW! What a long road and what a great place to end up! I am so thrilled for you two. I remember when you got him all those years ago. I am so proud of you! Thank you so much for the update!

SCFarm
    The above post is an opinion, just an opinion. If it were a real live fact it would include supporting links to websites full of people who already agreed with me.

www.southern-cross-farm.com

Thank you for posting this! Abe looks great! So shiny!

You look pretty good too! You have such nice soft hands.

You forgot to mention what a sweet husband you have, and that when you got Abe and found out he'd need surgery for knee chips, he offered to sell his beloved boat/trailer to pay for the surgery, without even knowing if the surgery would help. (I loved that he calls him "Abraham" in the video.)
    Hillary Clinton - proven liar, cheat, traitor and defender of rapists! Anyone but Hillary 2016! https://www.facebook.com/AntiHillary2016

jumper, Basque, aucowwy - Thanks you guys.

Seven - thanks! He yelled at me last night - "Why didn't you tell me you were going to post it? I would have been more serious about it!" LOL!

maunder - that's Ozzie, and he's a total fool! LOL!

LLDM - thanks for remembering us!

jetsmom - one of Abe's Aunties! So glad you got to see this.

Default No youtube at work for CM

But I don't have to see it cuz my fellow COTHers have described it so well! Bless you FM for being a great mom to a special guy.

Of course Abe is wonderful, that is why you had to take him home! Give him some smooches from me!!
    HaHA! Made-est Thou Look!

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

Abe is lovely!
    And quite a nice mover

And puh-leeeze! I can show you "fat cow" - stop by 2 Dogs Farm...no, on 2nd thought, nevermind...

May you both enjoy many rides.
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009, Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009
    Sam(Jaybee Altair) 1994-2015