The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question Best wound ointment that won't melt/sweat off?

My mare has a small wound on her neck I'm desperately trying to keep the flies off, and get it to scab over and start healing. Tea Tree oil doesn't keep the flies off. SWAT melts off really fast. Corona is even melting off in this awful weather (low 90s, heat indexes in the mid 90s up to 100F). Vaseline also melted off, and doesn't have any "healing" ingredients.

Any suggestions for a good ointment that will keep the bugs off, get the wound to close up and heal, AND that won't melt off in a few minutes?!
    Tell a Gelding. Ask a Stallion. Discuss it with a Mare... Pray if it's a Pony!

Nolvasan ointment is the best I've found that won't run and disappear. I've put it on in the morning in the summer time, gone back that afternoon and it's still there on horses that are out 24/7. You could do Swat right around the edge. I just apply Nolvasan and spray fly spray right on it personally.

I am a blu-kote believer. I spray that stuff on everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurierace View Post
    I am a blu-kote believer. I spray that stuff on everything.
    I've never used Blu Kote, does it stay on all day?

As long as the wound isn't really weepy it will stay on most of the day. I usually apply morning and evening. It doesn't do anything to repel the flies though.
    I had a horse get loose from the pony and smash into a brick barn. His worst injury was a hole in the elbow area that was about the size of a softball. Every time he took a step the bone stuck out. I sprayed the crap out of it several times per day because the vet said it could not be stitched and you obviously can't wrap there. I couldn't believe how fast it healed. It was more or less gone in a month.

Quote Originally Posted by sublimequine View Post
    I've never used Blu Kote, does it stay on all day?
    Yes it does. You spray, it dries. I think you can find it in a dauber bottle too. It's faded out fairly well by the next day though. Equaide of course would work wonders. It definitely doesn't sweat off since it dries and hardens. Best thing to heal wounds and FAST. But I don't use it on little piddly wounds. The stuff is too expensive for that!

Blue-Kote or Red-Kote. Used them for years.

West of insanity, east of apathy, deep in the heart of Texas.

Ask your vet for that aerosol aluminum wound spray that dries on contact. Looks like spray-on tin foil, but it seals and heals like nothing else I've ever used.
    In loving memory of Laura Jahnke.
    A life lived by example, done too soon.
    www.caringbridge.org/page/laurajahnke/

Quote Originally Posted by ESG View Post
    Ask your vet for that aerosol aluminum wound spray that dries on contact. Looks like spray-on tin foil, but it seals and heals like nothing else I've ever used.
    You can get that at tack stores too. It's called AluShield.

We're 100+ degrees out here and the flies are horrendous on wounds, so I totally feel your pain. I do use AluShield also, but if the wound is weepy, or you're putting another ointment below it, it tends to rub off and the flies get right back in.

I found out about something really great recently though! It's called green french clay and you can get it at a lot of natural foods stores or order it online. Clean up the wound, then mix up some of this (it's a powder that you mix with water to make the clay, then it dries on the horse) and put it on. It will dry up as a thick barrier over the wound, it won't melt off like liquid ointments, the wound heals below it, and it also draws out impurities as a bonus.

My vet told me about it because he has clients who had hock sores they simply could not heal, and this worked. There's also a barn near here that rescues the pack horses that are used to haul drugs across the border from Mexico, and they come covered in wounds. This stuff heals them right up while keeping the flies away! Funny about the AluShield comment, because the lady who helps these pack horses told me that on the tough areas, she sometimes sprays a layer of the AluShield first, then tops it with the green french clay.

Searched the natural grocery store's database for the clay.. no go.

BUT, the local Tractor Supply has Alushield!

Try Wonder-Dust.

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Pony View Post
    Try Wonder-Dust.
    Wouldn't a dust/powder sweat off?

I am using Leovet Skin Balm. It is sticky without being slimy so it adheres well but so far does not seem to be melting.

I second AluShield, works great for that type of thing, and I always have really fast healing with it. Although I'm wanting to check out that green french clay thing, sounds pretty neat!

A third for Alushield here.

Love Alushield, and any kind of cream with zinc oxide sticks like glue too.
    Jonah 4:4: And the Lord said, "Do you do well to be angry?"

College football season is HERE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ESG View Post

Alushield...and you can purchase it online/tack stores.

I am using Blue lotion (the blu kote with the dabber) now on my beloved old fart who scraped both front fetlocks rolling on our sand paper dirt (it is finally raining this AM!). It seems to be working really well.
    I Loff My Quarter Horse & I love Fenway Bartholomule cliques

Just somebody with a positive outlook on life...go ahead...hate me for that.

Another vote for both AluShield and Nolvasan ointment. We had a mare at our barn smack her face on her stall door sill and laid her face open to the bone. She took off every fly mask we put on her, so we gobbed a bunch of Nolvasan on the wound, and it kind of dried out and packed in the cut.

I used AluShield on a nasty-looking bite my horse got on his shoulder, and I was very happy with how well it stayed on and ended up healing.
    Why do I work two jobs to support a horse I don't have time to ride?

I've mixed triple antibiotic, povidone iodine ointment, and nolvasan ointment with 40% zinc oxide paste to give it an antiseptic quality, and still had good "stick" results. The consistency of the triple-ab makes more of cream once mixed in, where as the povidone and nolvasan turn out more like a paste (similar to vaseline).

Sounds like AluShield might be a better bet though.