The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Ireland or Germany for a Vacation?

Trying to decide where to go for vacation and I have it between going to Ireland or Germany. Ireland would definitely be more horsey as I'd like to find a trek in Connemara and also maybe Killarney. Germany the only horses might be at the castles near Fussen that pull the carriages up the hill, which I'm ok with.

Husband can walk and 'maybe' trot a little English but that's it so can't just do a riding vacation so concentrating on castles, neat old towns and places to stay.

Any thoughts of which way to go, where to stay in either country, things to do etc appreciated.

LetItBe
    Crayola Posse: Violet Blue

My vote would be Germany, but I'm biased.

As for horses, my parents aren't horse people at all. When I was last there, I rode twice a week, and none of it was planned. We'd be traveling around in these little towns visiting a castle and find these nice riding places, so they'd drop me off for a couple hours and go do something they wanted to do while I rode. It worked out really well for us; I got my horse fix and they did their thing, and these random barns we found have been some of my favorite rides ever.

I have been to both places in the last few years. Ireland is probably the most beautiful place on earth..so green, lush, tonnes of castles. But it's not as horsey as I would have thought.

Germany was beautiful as well and SO horsey. I was in northern/western Germany and I think it's the best place on earth. Seriously, if you love to ride, Germany is hard to beat.
    www.svhanoverians.com

"Simple: Breeding,Training, Riding". Wolfram Wittig.

West of insanity, east of apathy, deep in the heart of Texas.

My vote would be Ireland. Hands down.
    In loving memory of Laura Jahnke.
    A life lived by example, done too soon.
    www.caringbridge.org/page/laurajahnke/

It depends on what kind of horse you want to ride, connemara or warmblood.
    Last edited by TheHorseProblem; Jul. 18, 2010 at 02:25 PM.
    2012 goal: learn to ride like a Barn Rat

A helmet saved my life.

Ireland no questions my favorite place on earth.

My non-horsey husband went grudginly and fell madly in love with the culture, food, beer and country

Germany; the bier is better!!!

Better yet: Spain. Good beer served cold (mostly from Germany); lovely climate; Iberian horses.

G.

P.S. Portugal or Brazil are high on the list, too.

I did this ride several years ago
    http://www.irishhorseriding.com/page...il%20Itinerary
    It's mostly walk trot with one or two canters on Irish Cobs. The scenery just keeps getting better as the ride goes on.

Mr P came along, rented a car and played golf. We met in the evenings.

From what I have been told the Connemara trail is more active
    http://www.aille-cross.com/index.htm
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

I'm partial to Northern Ireland, but the south is more popular for horsey stuff.
    Be aware - in the north you use British pounds, and in the south - the Euro.
    Are you ready to drive on the left? ;-)

That island is magical! Truly.

How about a little of both?
    From the USA, Ireland is kind of on the way to Germany...

I have a Dutch Warmblood and plan to get a Connemara when I retire my guy, so that's no help. I'm trying hard to not make it a riding vacation for me, so looking for other things we can do together like site seeing then making him pony trek or trailride.

Someone threw Canada into the mix at the barn today. I'm so indecisive, they do have trail riding at Lake Loiuse!

LetItBe

Will you be doing an itineried (is that a word?) trip, or going around on your own and planning/hoping to do horsey things along the way?

Itineries/group outings are nice because the pressure (and map-reading and reservation-making for each night = stress) are done for you. However, I would look into each program/holiday thoroughly. If they talk about a hotel/facilities in the description, look those up and see if they fit your expectations.

If you can't find a whole holiday itinerary that grabs you, do something on your own but include the segment or two (a certain trail/landmark or Eq Center) that caught your attention. More research to book parts of it on your own, but also a lot more control.

Especially if you're with your sig. other you may want to have some more flexibility to be spontaneous. This may prove to be rather important if his love for horses wanes as his seat bones bruise up

I'm tempted to say that Ireland may be easier to navigate if you're looking for day trips/excursions on horseback. No language barrier (accent barrier, yes!) and a smaller country. BUT Germany is one of the easiest countries to find yourself in if you're only outfitted with the English language

I've been to both, but have only ridden in Ireland (Clare Eq Centre and Clonshire Eq Centre). To me, there's something very special about the countryside of Ireland- it begs to be galloped across. Plus, the weather is excellent for riding in the summer!

Why don't you PM the poster Thomas1.
    He lives in Scotland and I am sure is familiar with both countries.
    He can advise you best of anyone here.

I loved Ireland - have not been to Germany. But I was spoiled - I rode on the manager's of U2's estate. (My trainer had gone to Ireland to manage horses for him.) If you go to Ireland, you can go to Bed's and Breakfasts and just kind of meander around the country. If you get to Dingle go to the pub The White Bridge - they had the best music of any pub we went to. If you go the B and B route the owner may be able to arrange a ride for you. Also, if you don't want to drive over there but don't want a bus tour, check with a group called Adventure Travel. They tour in a van that seats about 12 and go to more out of the way places than the bus tours go to. They, too, may be able to arrange some riding for you.

I love Ireland. We stayed at the Dunraven Arms in Adare and rode at Clonshire years ago. My then 82 year old mother in law and her friend came with us. They loved to do things in town in the ams while we rode. Then we all went sight seeing together every afternoon. We went to the Burren, had lunch in Galway, shopped in Limerick, and went to old historic sights. It was wonderful. Everyone was so nice to our kids and to the older folks.

We went to Germany a couple of years later, hoping to again have a wonderful vacation. Germany was much more difficult for our group. We had to do more driving to see things and had trouble getting organized to see the things we wanted to see. It was a frustrating vacation.

Just wanted to update everyone. We're going to Germany and Austria ending in Vienna and going to the Spanish Riding School for a tour and performance.

LetItBe

Quote Originally Posted by LetItBe View Post
    Just wanted to update everyone. We're going to Germany and Austria ending in Vienna and going to the Spanish Riding School for a tour and performance.

LetItBe
    That sounds great.
    I had wondered why anyone would think Germany and not hop over to Austria, especially the SRS.

Vienna is a wonderful city, alone worth a trip all it's own.