The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Cleaning the green goo on tack! Cleaning buckles.

How do you do it? I recently acquired an old Pessoa martingale for a great price.. leather is super soft and over all the martingale is in great show condition except for around the buckles. There is green gunky tarnished 'residue' around the metal, I've been able to pick some of it off but there is still quite a bit left. It's hard to get to it with a sponge and I've used a toothbrush too but it's still there. The metal appears to be stained.

What do I use to get rid of that crap? Also, what you recommend for shining up the metal buckles on tack and bits and other metal pieces in general to make it nice for showing?

TIA!

I use toothpaste on bits because it's nontoxic to horses and they like the taste. Cheap store brand paste, not gel. For other metal, I use Nevr-Dull, which is usually cheaper at somewhere like Farm & Fleet or TSC.

Kim
    I loff my Quarter horse clique

I kill threads dead!

Oh wow! Does the toothpaste get the bit to shine? I've heard of that before.. but always kind of pictured it making the metal dull, but I was I wrong!

Quote Originally Posted by tikihorse2 View Post
    I use toothpaste on bits because it's nontoxic to horses and they like the taste. Cheap store brand paste, not gel. For other metal, I use Nevr-Dull, which is usually cheaper at somewhere like Farm & Fleet or TSC.

Kim
    Sorry, one more question. Is never dull OK to use near leather? Like, can you use it on the tiny buckles on bridles and martingales? The buckles in question are right next to the leather straps and are full of gunk right down to the leather.

I don't know how thick the gunk is but you could try a hoof pick. It usually works pretty well.

Quote Originally Posted by rwh View Post
    I don't know how thick the gunk is but you could try a hoof pick. It usually works pretty well.
    The area is quite small (it's on a martingale), but the gunk has actually stained the metal too. (Tarnish).

Quote Originally Posted by equidae View Post
    Oh wow! Does the toothpaste get the bit to shine? I've heard of that before.. but always kind of pictured it making the metal dull, but I was I wrong!
    Throw your bits in the dishwasher. They come out sparkling.

I think I read somewhere that you get the green gook on the metal because they use nickle alloy, not stainless (what they use to make flatware). High quality leather goods will use the stainless for the buckles, hence no green gook.

Maybe google nickle alloy and see what cleans it? I can't remember, now. Do they make nickle cleaner?

Mag's aluminum polish - can be found in the car section - I use a nail brush with a little bit of water to scrub on the buckles to get any "goobers" off and then use a rag with the Mag's on it - the rag will actually turn black from pulling the tarnish off. I've used this on bits/buckles and never had an issue.

You can buy dental picks at a hardware store. They are great for getting into corners of buckles and things.
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

Toothpaste will get the mouthpiece of the bit to shine, yes, and you don't have to worry about getting the rest of it off.

And Nevr Dull is fine to use near leather--it's a kind of cotton that's been treated in polish, not a liquid or anything, so it won't drip on your leather. At least, I haven't had any trouble with it--I just wipe any off with a towel.

Sorry it took so long to reply.

Kim
    I loff my Quarter horse clique

I kill threads dead!