The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default To much Donnerhall?

I have a de noir daughter out of a hohenstein dam. Lovely filly. So picking her first date is tough. Lol

I am thinking WAY in the future here, but am curious how close it too close, and at what "concentrations"

I really like Don Frederico. Powerhouse

that would be a donnerhall son to a donnerhall greatgrand daughter. Is that too much, or no?

TIA!
    "Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." *Thomas Edison
    A champion is a dreamer that refused to give up!!

At first glance, I would say not a problem, but I like linebreeding. The stallion Fuerstenball has Donnerhall 3x2, closer than what you're proposing, and I love his movement. But the Donnerhall dam apparently isn't heavy at all, and I think there is some TB and other refining blood further back in the pedigree that makes him lighter than what you would expect when first looking at the pedigree.

So, I think a lot of it would depend on the rest of the pedigree and phenotype of the mare.

Caitlin
    Caitlin
    *OMGiH I Loff my Mare* and *My Saddlebred Can Do Anything Your Horse Can Do*
    http://community.webshots.com/user/redmare01

I have a lovely Don Frederico mare out of EM Radunja (Rosentau/Weltmeyer). The DF mare is great, but when she is ready to be a broodmare I will be looking for a refining stallion. Even though she came out of a very refined dam she is not. I would becareful.
    HiddenAcresFarm.Net
    Imported from Germany, Assembled in Michigan
    Rare damline of 7 direct generations of Elite/States Premium Mares.

I also love Fuerstenball. My girl is very modern and refined, I dont think I would want to lighten her up any, and a little more substance would be ok, but I would like to keep close to her type.

Were is it that DF adds his substance? bone, or just general size? (if that makes any sense, haha)

HiddenAcres. I love your mares. I hope to have a band of such gorgeous mares one day. I took a look at your DF filly, and she is lovely. Where is it that she would require some refining?

Now back to the linebreeding questions. Are there stallions out there that dont linebreed well, and others that do? When is too close?
    "Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." *Thomas Edison

Not quite as close as what you are thinking, but Sir Gregory has Donnerhall twice in the third generation.

http://www.allbreedpedigree.com/sir+gregory

Not sure what "Urgs" means. But for those of you on Facebook that want to see some VERY special foals, type in Furstenball and enjoy. Double D works really well in many circumstances. Just be careful you are breeding a typey, not long backed, flatter moving, D-line mare back.

Another example of Double D is the young Dimaggio/Donnerhall stallion Susan Pape has qualified for the Bundeschampionate. The same dam line as Fuerstenball.

Quote Originally Posted by Crosiadore Farm View Post
    Not sure what "Urgs" means. But for those of you on Facebook that want to see some VERY special foals, type in Furstenball and enjoy. Double D works really well in many circumstances. Just be careful you are breeding a typey, not long backed, flatter moving, D-line mare back.

Another example of Double D is the young Dimaggio/Donnerhall stallion Susan Pape has qualified for the Bundeschampionate. The same dam line as Fuerstenball.
    I love Fuerstenball's FB page. Lots of gorgeous foals and pics.

Caitlin
    Caitlin
    *OMGiH I Loff my Mare* and *My Saddlebred Can Do Anything Your Horse Can Do*
    http://community.webshots.com/user/redmare01

Another vote for Furstenball - I think he is lovely, and he seems to be producing well.
    I am jealous of your having a DeNoir daughter. DeNoir is such an elegant stallion, and I've never seen any offspring in the flesh.
    I think he is very popular at home, but doesn't access the larger European markets as much as some stallions.
    I remember seeing a DeNoir filly at a Hano auction - a little jewel.

Sarah, you are so funny. I can't laugh too hard though, I already know who I'll be breeding my yearlings to when they are 3

Kim,
    I know! I didnt want to say her age... but I did say "WAY in the future" lol!! With all these amazing stallions its hard enough to pick for most mares, but I want her first to be the best possible match, and if I start now, I may just be able to do that. lol

Sunnydays,
    Unless there were any born this year, shes the only De Noir in the country. She came from Washington state and she is special, my beautiful baby. I love De Noir, and think hes under utilized here, but this little fillies dam was why I chose her. Her motherline is all SPS. She scored a 8.39 on her MPT in germany, and scored a 9 on her jump, even though shes a dressage horse. All that and my girl is super sweet and smart. Shes perfect in my book. Haha

Quote Originally Posted by vita_impavida View Post
    I also love Fuerstenball. My girl is very modern and refined, I dont think I would want to lighten her up any, and a little more substance would be ok, but I would like to keep close to her type.

Were is it that DF adds his substance? bone, or just general size? (if that makes any sense, haha)

HiddenAcres. I love your mares. I hope to have a band of such gorgeous mares one day. I took a look at your DF filly, and she is lovely. Where is it that she would require some refining?

Now back to the linebreeding questions. Are there stallions out there that dont linebreed well, and others that do? When is too close?
    DF did add substance, bone & size. Our DF is a very nice filly but seems to have lost the "tb look" & typiness of her dam, sister Halleluja and brother Le Hot Shot. I don't have any recent pictures of her posted (and should... shame on me). She goes for training and MPT next year so maybe my theories will all be wrong as she finishes her growing this next year.

BTW.. thanks for the compliment about my "ladies". They are my dream come true.
    HiddenAcresFarm.Net
    Imported from Germany, Assembled in Michigan
    Rare damline of 7 direct generations of Elite/States Premium Mares.

Sarah, all going well, we should be having a Sir Gregory foal next spring. You should come over to see what we get to help in your decision making.
    www.trevelyanfarm.com
    Follow us: http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Tre...1609022?ref=ts
    Breeders of Sport Horses & New Forest Sport Ponies

Lesley, Hi! Dela is doing very well. She did spectacular for the farrier the other day, MUCH to my relief. But I think she is striving to be a buckskin! Shes getting so sun bleached.

Your Sir Gregory is out of the Royal Prince mare correct? I would LOVE to come see the foals when theyre born. Im also secretly hoping Sagnol gets into the Hano books. (I really dont know if he can, lol) but I just really really love your filly!

Ive got so much time before I actually breed her. I am just really trying to educate myself on the lines, and what each stallion has to offer, so I can make the best choice when the time comes. I was never really a fan of linebreeding, as my QH has a ton of it way back, and I think thats why shes not working with a "full happy meal" sometimes. Lol. but then in the WB world, it seems that it tends to work out for the better. So I am trying to learn about linebreeding and the pros and cons of it.

I hope your feeling well, and if you ever need any barn help, I am just a phone call away.