The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Five horses die of thirst in waterless pasture

Not only no water, but I don't see any shelter either:
    http://www.kcra.com/news/24272786/detail.html

This was a preventable tragedy. Those horses died a horrible, agonizing death.

Not only do I check my water troughs every day, like any responsible horseowner does, I make sure the water is cool, or at least not warm. On these hot 95-100 degree days, I dump and fill my black Rubbermaid tub in the middle of the day, every day, to ensure the water stays at a drinkable temp. I also have another, smaller one that is up under my barn overhang in the shade.

I hope the owner of those horses get the book thrown at him/her, and I hope the two surviving horses can recover.
    Equus Keepus Brokus

There is simply no excuse for this ~ Jingles for the owner to be thrown in jail without water ~
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"

There is a discussion about this on our local horse forum. The owners claim that someone closed and locked a gate to the part of the pasture where there was an overflowing water trough.

So sad that no one checked on the horses on a regular basis.

Link to BAEN discussion:

http://members5.boardhost.com/chatbo...279222416.html

http://members5.boardhost.com/chatbo...279238980.html
    Proud owner of a Slaughter-Bound TB from a feedlot, and her surprise baby...!
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Jen4USC/fave.jpg
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...SC/running.jpg

That happened to someone in NM, that had several cows on a windmill and thought someone else was checking on them, that thought he was checking.
    The windmill broke, it was 100F for several days and when they found the cows some days later, some were already dead, the others in terrible shape.

What a terrible thing to happen.

Completely preventable. I don't care if 'someone else closed and locked a gate' - man up and take responsibility for the animals who rely on you for their needs. What a terrible way for them to die.

They should lock up those owner(s) in the heat with no shelter/AC for 5 days without water. What punks.
    Corgigirl14

That doesn't seem sad.

That seems negligent.

Is that considered normal management in your neck of the woods?

Because it isn't here. Not for livestock, kennels, or pets.

[quote=jenm;4983174]
    So sad that no one checked on the horses on a regular basis.

OMG thi is just terrible and should not have happened. The poor things.

IMHO ~ Water sources EVERYWHERE have to be checked at the minimum twice a day every day of the entire year !
    Last edited by Zu Zu; Jul. 16, 2010 at 11:14 PM. Reason: addition

JSwan, you know its not!!! Negligence is everywhere...unfortunately. Its true, some geographical locations are worse than others, some worse by species, ie dogs running loose and not neutered or spayed, etc, etc.

Regardless, this is totally avoidable and as one BAEN member said, if horses were relying on the water source on the opposite side of the gate, then they should lock the gate open. Agreed.

Plus, who doesn't check on their livestock at least once a day???

I was talking with a girl a couple of years back who was going on and on about how important her horse was because it was the last of their breeding program. I asked what happened to the other horses...same story...the automatic waterer got shut off somehow and all of the horses except the one she had died. The one she had survived as a foal. I was so upset but she sort of shrugged it off as the neighbours fault (I guess they were doing some development that caused the water line to be interrupted). Regardless of who shut the water off, I can't imagine not checking up on your horses at least once a day. Heck, I pay full board and am there once a day to make sure their feed and water are adequate and no one has gotten hurt. These stories make me extra mad because even in the middle of summer, you know it took a few days for the horses to die...so obviously it wasn't just a matter of someone missing a check in or two.

How sad. Every time I read a story like this I just want to go hug my horse.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Horse H/J View Post
    How sad. Every time I read a story like this I just want to go hug my horse.
    Really? Every time I hear a story like this, it makes me want to smack the person responsible .....Although this could be because I'm currently horseless with no horse to hug or perhaps I'm violent by nature, regardless, this owner deserves far more than he/she'll get from a judge

Simply appalling.
    www.specialhorses.org
    a 501(c)3 organization helping 501(c)3 equine rescues

Tragic, excruciating and totally preventable way to kill your animals, Heinous.
    One has to wonder how long they were without water to have died.

However, must point out not all states require shelters for animals, NY does not.
    Quote Originally Posted by Liberty View Post
    Not only no water, but I don't see any shelter either:
    http://www.kcra.com/news/24272786/detail.html

Quote Originally Posted by Angela Freda View Post
    Tragic, excruciating and totally preventable way to kill your animals, Heinous.
    One has to wonder how long they were without water to have died.

However, must point out not all states require shelters for animals, NY does not.
    I'm thinking those horses were without water for at least 5 days, but that's based upon what I've heard that humans can only last 3 days without water, and the vet estimated those horses had been dead for at least 2 days.

As far as shelter requirements, do the states that don't require shelters also not take into consideration properties like the one in the video that have absolutely NOTHING such as trees, etc.? I was always under the impression that shelter had to be provided, even if it was solely natural shelter.
    Equus Keepus Brokus

Default Water is Essential 24/7 and a back up water system also

I believe it is important to / rather essential to have a back up watertank for secondary coverage for automatic waters ~ in case of freeze up or valve shut off due to water pressure... Murphy's Law ~ if one has livestock = one has to provide water 24/7 ...please be careful in this extreme heat and also in extreme cold....IMHO ~~I have had a crazy neighbor once not only tear the Nelson waterer to pieces she also dumped the water tanks BUT we monitor at least twice a day so we know they drank with their am feeding and then the water incident was fixed at afternoon feeding and a police report was made ... she did other alarming things -- = she is now a convicted felon for ARSON ~ yes, on our horse property !

Quote Originally Posted by fivehorses View Post
    JSwan, you know its not!!!
    I think you misunderstood me.

Livestock management practices vary in the US. Where there is vast acreage or sparse populations, it may not be feasible to check on livestock daily.

Dry lots and pipe corrals may be customary in some areas, barbed wire in others, and beautiful 3 board fencing in others.

There are lots of ways to keep animals - and just because I manage my animals a certain way, does not mean that is the ONLY way to manage livestock.

I'm NOT making excuses for negligence or cruelty. I was asking for more information; information that does not appear in the article. Placing the incident in context, if you will.

Where I live, it's unheard of not to check water daily. For any species.

Quote Originally Posted by JSwan View Post
    Where I live, it's unheard of not to check water daily. For any species.
    well maybe people in your area should start making it a point to check up on water supplies daily or every 2 days. In 90-100F heat and humidty...animals consume more water than ever. they need it to cool themselves internally and to keep their bodies functioning. even after 1 day without a water supply; horses can begin to have issues related to dehydration.....especially when there is no shelter to rid themseleves of the sun and its' heat. Whether it be cattle or horses, etc...water should be check on daily if not every 2 days if you cant make it to the water supply every day. its a matter of life and death for animals...especially if you dont want to pay for medical expences associated with dehydration

there is no excuse for being negligent and there is no excuse for stupidity....just check your water and make sure it is cool, fresh, and clean as much as possible PLEASE...especially when its this hot out

Excuse me, but were you dropped on your head as a child? Or are you illiterate?

I wrote that it is unheard of to NOT check water daily.

Meaning - it is normal and customary practice to check water daily.

Go lecture someone who needs it.