The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Cost of shipping a horse 50 miles one way

Just wondering what you would charge/expect to be charged to ship a horse one way, 50 miles. I'm helping out a friend by shipping her horse to another farm, and then going back the next day to bring him home. Tolls per trip will be $25. I want to make sure I'm being fair, as well as making it worth my time.

TIA!

I've been charging $1.25/mile round trip. So that would be $125 round trip (100 miles) plus the tolls.

Then factor in your time plus gas, oil, lubricants, wear and tear, insurance, etc. If you're happy with the answer, then do it. If you're not, don't.
    Laurie Higgins
    www.coreconnexxions.com

I wouldn't do it for less than $100 +tolls each trip. And holy crap that's a lot for tolls for 50 miles! That said I don't ever haul commercially, and the only horses that ride in my trailer other than my own belong to my trainer or close friends.

If you receive payment for trailering your friends horse, you are technically a "commercial shipper" and you insurance wont cover you in case of an accident.

Have her pay the tolls, buy you gas and lunch, etc., to reimburse your expenses.
    I drove a friends horse in for surgery and picked him up 2 days later, about 40 miles each way. She bought a tank of gas and took me to dinner.
    You're entitled to your own opinion, not your own facts!

Quote Originally Posted by shakeytails View Post
    I wouldn't do it for less than $100 +tolls each trip. And holy crap that's a lot for tolls for 50 miles! That said I don't ever haul commercially, and the only horses that ride in my trailer other than my own belong to my trainer or close friends.
    Tappan Zee Bridge. I forget the exact amount, but I know it's between $20-25. Crazy.

If I were "helping out a friend" I would ask for expenses (gas, tolls) and be prepared to do it for nothing else. If she wanted to give me more, I'd graciously thank her.
    "We need a pinned ears icon." -MysticOakRanch