The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default need electric fence help please!

Our neighbors are letting us rent a portion of an unused field they have. It is fenced in ancient wire, but adjoins one side of our wood fence. My husband and I spent nearly $1000 on good electric fence supplies, we figured it didn't make sense to invest in wood fencing around property that isn't ours.

So we used wood posts every 50' with 2-3 pvc posts in between and used the 2" poly tape on top and a poly rope beneath. We bought a good solar charger that is supposed to power 3 miles, our fencing goes 1500 ft. I bought new metal clamps to hook to tape and rope (asa per suggestion of manager at local TSC), we used plastic holders to attach to wood posts and it is grounded well. The fence looks good! And it works to keep the horses in, BUT IT'S NOT HOT !!!

I get a charge off the battery but not when I hook it to the tape. I tried switching batteries to one I know works, no charge. I've tried switching the clamping device. I've inspected the fence inch by inch, it is not grounded out anywhere. I find this really frustrating b/c we use another solar battery to make the ponies's field smaller and I just throw it up w/ a few pvc posts and a twisted old tape that has been cut and tied a million times and it has a beautiful charge.

Any help?!!
    Riot Farm

OK, so the charger produces juice. That's your first step. Does it send any to the fence?

Take smaller bites. Do you get any electricity to the very first section of fence?

I would make a mini fence and see if you can make that hot. It's possible you have a faulty charger and it's not sending the electricity to the fence at all.

If you can make a small section hot, restring the bigger fence, testing as you go, one section at a time.

They make a really cool electrictity sensor - usually used to see if outlets are hot in a house but it is a perfect fence charge sensor! They look like a fat pen with a clear/white tip which lights up and beeps when it senses electricity.

Downlaod this manual and read the section on grounding.

Many parts of VA have notoriously poor soil conductivity, and it can vary widely, even on one piece of property, so you may need a more elaborate grounding system.

The definite test would be to swap with the charger/fence combination you know is working and see what happens.
    “There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams

Pour 5 gallons of water on the ground rod. Does it work?

I've tried switching charger I know works, no help. Grounding works fine on temp fence for ponies. I suspect I will have to do small fence test.
    thank you!
    Riot Farm