The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default horse dies of Potomac horse fever - Lancaster County

I just saw a heading stating that a horse died in Washington Boro, Lancaster County from Potomac horse fever on WGAL news website. Unfortunately I'm unable to open the video to actually get the details. Has anyone else heard anything about this, just curious.

What a terrible disease. Saw a case in a local equine clinic...the hooves had sloughed off. We vaccinate for it now, even in Kentucky. The only thing I can find is the video.

It is, for sure, in eastern PA. We had a horse come down with it last fall (which is an odd time of the year). He survived and is doing fine and now we vaccinate for it.

One of mine got it in the fall. Not unusual at all. He had been vaccinated and boostered for PHF for years.

Didn't die but was critically ill for 6 days and very lethargic for months. All 4 feet grew out with deep rings. Must have had severe laminitis but I was ignorant at the time, the vets never said a thing, and the internet wasn't what it is now.

The vaccine is worthless, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by rcloisonne View Post
    The vaccine is worthless, IMO.
    NOT Worthless! Your horse didn't die after all. It just does not (by a long shot) have 100% efficacy. Still it beats the pants off the the Strangles vaccine. But healthy and medically treated horses don't generally die from Strangles.

I am not trying to pick on you - just encourage people to vaccinate for PHF anyway, even if it isn't the greatest vaccine. It DOES help.

All but a few of our equine vaccines approach 100% efficacy - but they are much MUCH better than nothing! They do offer at least significant protections if not a complete preventative.

So sorry about the horse and it's people. It's a rough way to go.

SCFarm
    The above post is an opinion, just an opinion. If it were a real live fact it would include supporting links to websites full of people who already agreed with me.

www.southern-cross-farm.com

Quote Originally Posted by LLDM View Post
    NOT Worthless! Your horse didn't die after all. It just does not (by a long shot) have 100% efficacy. Still it beats the pants off the the Strangles vaccine. But healthy and medically treated horses don't generally die from Strangles.
    My horse didn't die because treatment with antibiotics and fluids was started immediately. I don't hesitate to call vets for a sick horse.

The PHF vaccine hasn't been updated since the 80's and the strains seen today are quite different. It is an ineffective vaccine. Many vets don't even suggest it anymore.

And don't kid yourself that medically treated horses don't die from Strangles. They can and do, often from the many complications associated with the disease. Ask me how I know.

Quote Originally Posted by rcloisonne View Post
    My horse didn't die because treatment with antibiotics and fluids was started immediately. I don't hesitate to call vets for a sick horse.
    With all due respect, even healthy horses treated aggressively and immediately can and do die of PTF.

snip - And don't kid yourself that medically treated horses don't die from Strangles. They can and do, often from the many complications associated with the disease. Ask me how I know.
    Yes, there are several nasty things that can happen from complications of strangles. But it is the exception rather than the rule. I am very sorry for your loss.

If you chose not to vaccinate for PTF in an endemic area, that is up to you. But please don't advise others that the vaccine is worthless. That's a decision for them to make with their vets. My vets believe there is some benefit. And mine still recommend PTF over strangles. The other consideration is side effects from the vaccines themselves. Personally, I've never had or heard of a bad reaction to a PTF vaccine.

SCFarm
    The above post is an opinion, just an opinion. If it were a real live fact it would include supporting links to websites full of people who already agreed with me.

www.southern-cross-farm.com