The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default .

Last edited by c5rose; Jul. 16, 2010 at 08:02 AM.

COTH needs a "like" button
    If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude.
    ~ Maya Angelou

1 members found this post helpful.

wait the the author(ess) finds this. You'll know what bear bait feels like.

Quote Originally Posted by Tif_Ann View Post
    COTH needs a "like" button

I use similar rationale myself. Whether you own horses or simply manage a way to provide lessons and experience, or really get your kids interested in any activity that requires you to be that deeply involved is going to be worth every penny you invest.

I saw this on another BB recently. This really hit home since my daughter is 13 and doesn't remember life before horses - she was 3 1/2 when I got my first horse. It reminded me why I work so hard and why my husband and I have given up things so she can be involved in the horse world.

I like it!

However, I always wonder why people say "author unknown" in the age of Google. A couple of clicks of the mouse turned up that the author is Tracy Meisenbach of Trinity Appaloosa Farms http://www.trinityapp.com/ She has a pretty stern warning on her website about reprinting the piece without permission.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine View Post
    wait the the author(ess) finds this. You'll know what bear bait feels like.
    Quote Originally Posted by fargaloo View Post
    I like it!

However, I always wonder why people say "author unknown" in the age of Google. A couple of clicks of the mouse turned up that the author is Tracy Meisenbach of Trinity Appaloosa Farms http://www.trinityapp.com/ She has a pretty stern warning on her website about reprinting the piece without permission.
    Irony, much?
    "One person's cowboy is another person's blooming idiot" -- katarine

Spay and neuter. Please.

That brought tears to my eyes. My dad died when I was 16, but a lot of what was said in the passage he had expressed to me. He always wanted me to keep riding and being the best horsewoman I could, because he knew how good they were for me.
    Katie

Sent it to my dad

Lol I should send this to my dad... I am 31 years old, married with children, and only last weekend he was complaining loudly about my choice to train for a living. I showed him my tax return for 2009 (I made a good living training!) thinking it would impress him-- I assumed his objection was financial. Nope. I got a lecture on how "it's great that you can do something you love and get paid for it", but that he just HATES horses so can't understand how I would be so IRRESPONSIBLE.

Sigh... you can never please family, I guess, lol
    Vancouver Equine
    www.vaneq.com

Default Comic relief

My dad always summed up his reason why we spent so much on my horse habit when we were 4 people living on a single (teacher's) income with....

"it's cheaper than rehab"

^ the lady who wrote this does NOT like it being reprinted and has said/done some pretty bizarre things. I'd edit your post to take it down, if I were you.
    Lifestyle coordinator for Zora, Spooky, Wolfgang and Warrior

It says on her website that she will even charge a 'use' fee for emailing it. Which she can't do by the way.

It also vehemently says on her website, right up at the top, that she has fired her vet service and names them. I'll add that one off my list of horse people not to do business with. Yikes.

Oh, just wait until Tracy Meisenbach (or her webcrawler) gets a hold of this thread! She's going to slap you around until you don't know which day of the week it is! Turns out you don't have to be a good person to have a moment of literary clarity...

"bear bait" HAHAHAHA
    ayrabz
    "Indecision may or may not be my problem"
    --Jimmy Buffett

I used to like that piece. I don't feel that way anymore. Cha - ching.
    ayrabz
    "Indecision may or may not be my problem"
    --Jimmy Buffett

Quote Originally Posted by rugbygirl View Post
    ^ the lady who wrote this does NOT like it being reprinted and has said/done some pretty bizarre things. I'd edit your post to take it down, if I were you.
    Quote Originally Posted by cowboymom View Post
    Oh, just wait until Tracy Meisenbach (or her webcrawler) gets a hold of this thread! She's going to slap you around until you don't know which day of the week it is! Turns out you don't have to be a good person to have a moment of literary clarity...
    She ATTACKED another board where somebody posted it. Bizzare is a good description! Wow!!! Yes there are copyright laws and we need then and their a good thing and people should not have their work stolen, but her matter of handling it was .... um... I really think the word bizzare really handles it....

Picture this....

-happy board
    -somebody says check out this sweet cute thing about a dad, their daughter, & horses... anybody know who to credit
    -a few people post... cute... one person says something to the effect of why down people w/ tattoos/piercings... doesn't make somebody a bad person...

-& THEN... In swoops Tracy & her webcrawler in a whirlwind... more like a F5 tornado...

-there is a period of... WHAT THE FRUITBAT???? Is this for real??? Ummm... BIZARRE!!!!

-Post is deleted a few days later (this isn't a board that you can just hit a delete key)... meanwhile all sorts of threats are made... posters are like you have got to be kidding me...

-Tracy & her webcrawler fly out of town never to be seen again...

-Posters kind of shake their heads like... WHOA... was that for real? What the fruitbat? Bizarre...

-Return to happy board

For some entertainment google her name... apparently she had a rabid horse, too...

Meisenbach added that a colt has 45-60 days to get off immunity provided through the mother's milk. She said that the colt had gotten his rabies shot between that time, but when the milk flushed out, it must have flushed out shot. He would have received his first adult shot in spring.

http://www.wpcva.com/articles/2008/0...ews/news01.txt
    Grant it, we know newspapers often screw things up a bit when it comes to quotes, but... WHAT???? I can't see how they would have misconstrued that...

maybe her next work will be about vaccinating...

And honestly...it's cute... it's sweet, but it's not written that well and has some stereotypes in it (of course I don't have it there in front of me but it gave the illusion that having tattoos or piercings made somebody an undesirable person) and there are tons of cute , sweet, and better written works out there that people actually like to have shared.... If I understood correctly, she's writing a book... oh and she has stuff for sale on cafe press... after her way of handling the situation, I know I won't be buying it... in fact don't think I'd have any interest in doing ANY sort of business with her.. EVER...
    http://www.leakycreek.com/
    http://leakycreek.wordpress.com/ Rainbows & Mourning Doves Blog
    John P. Smith II 1973-2009 Love Always
    Father, Husband, Friend, Firefighter- Cancer Sucks- Cure Melanoma

A quick google search turned up a TON of very weird reactions from the author.

Strange, to say the least. What I was thinking was exactly what another poster said; it wasn't that well written, and has some stereotypes in it that I don't agree with.

Granted it is her work, but really? Come on, now, no one is trying to steal your work.
    "Look, I'm trying not to test the durability of the arena with my face!" (Because only GM can do that.)

Best entertainment I've had all week was the Google search of Tracy.