The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Another braiding question thread - sorry

The other braiding threads have inspired me to ask for help. So please, any advice and help will be much appreciated.

Like so many other non-pro braiders, I braid the DD's pony to same some $$ where I can. I have a hard time paying for something that with a reasononable effort I can do myself - (sorry to take money from pro-braiders, i do use one every once in a while). I have done this for quite a few years now, so I have the practice thing down pretty well, however, there is always something to learn.

My problem is that I can never get the braids tied down well enough. I don't feel like they are tight enough to the neck. My braids after I braid down are nice, straight, even and tight. They look really nice until i start to tie-up. After i pull-through, I make a single knot at the crest and now have sort of a loop with the braid, make sense? Then I wrap the yarn around the front of the braid and tie with a surgeon's knot. Then back under again with another surgeon's knot and clip the ends. This sounds to me like what everyone else does, but no matter how tight I pull for the knot on top, I just can't get it tight to the crest and the braid just sits there. Any ideas, please??? Any tricks that I am missing??

Thanks.

I don't really understand what you are doing, but here's what i do (and I am no pro braider) -

1. Pull through. 2. criss cross the yarn under the braided loop then bring it back to the top of the neck. Pull tight upwards and straighten the braid as needed. 3. Knot. 4. Knot underneath the braid 5. clip the ends.

Is that different from how you do it? Mine are usually really tight.

I haven't braided in 30 years but I do remember on the Lucky Braids video, that RuthAnn says to pull the braid up through the top of the mane before knotting and tying. I am describing it very poorly, but if you have access to her video or DVD, perhaps it would help you? RuthAnn does claim that this helps keep the braid lying down nicely.

Hopefully someone else can offer more help.

Thanks. That was quick. It is hard to understand just typing it out isn't it? I have the Lucky Braids video and still can't get it right - think I am hopeless. Myalter - that is similar to what I do, except I knot 1st underneath instead of just criss-crossing the yarn.

Default try viewing this

Quote Originally Posted by MDPONYMOM View Post
    My problem is that I can never get the braids tied down well enough. I don't feel like they are tight enough to the neck. My braids after I braid down are nice, straight, even and tight. They look really nice until i start to tie-up. After i pull-through, I make a single knot at the crest and now have sort of a loop with the braid, make sense? Then I wrap the yarn around the front of the braid and tie with a surgeon's knot. Then back under again with another surgeon's knot and clip the ends. This sounds to me like what everyone else does, but no matter how tight I pull for the knot on top, I just can't get it tight to the crest and the braid just sits there. Any ideas, please??? Any tricks that I am missing??

Thanks.
    Your description is good - I get what you're doing. I'm another amateur braider (okay, I'll fill in for a pro if they get in the weeds, but my tails are better than my manes), and have a couple of hints.

First, try to do some braids where you DONT put the initial knot after you pull through. Instead, pull through, and then cross the yarn under the braid for the first surgeon knot on top of the braid. If you do this really tight and press the braid into the neck when you do this, you can create more leverage with the yarn to hold the braid against the neck. The key here is to have short tight braids.

I've done the method you describe, and I find it harder to get the braid to lay into the neck.

Second, make sure you make the first knot that is on top of the braid low enough so that you're creating some leverage on the braid - this is hard to describe. But if you make that knot too high on the braid, it's not holding down as much braid. Again, short tight braids when you braid down are key.

And third, when you make the surgeon's knot under the braid, try to make that knot as high as you can - it won't go very high because of the first knot you made, but you definitely don't want it to be below the first knot. Again, you're trying to create that leverage that pulls the braid down onto the neck. Make sense?

My braids get a little long and bumpy sometimes, but since I'm the braider, I don't complain . . . much.

LH, your description is almost exactly what RuthAnn says IIRC. I'm sure if the OP can do it your way it will solve her problem.

Also an ammy braider. My braids and knots were always tight but I couldn't figure out why they wouldn't stay flat against the neck after a few hours. Then a pro braider told me that my braids were a little too tight at the very top, which was causing my braids to "hover" off the neck. She said you know they're too tight at the top if it's difficult to get the knot to "pop" through the base of the braid as you pull through (hopefully you know what I mean?). So now I try not to pull too tight when I am gathering the first three pieces of hair/starting the braid, and then once the braid is started I braid it as tight as I can. That seems to be helping. Sounds like RuthAnn's video is worth it -- I think I need to get it!

MoonRiver -

You said pretty much exactly what I was going to try to describe.

You have to pull the knot until you feel a sort of "pop", but not so it comes the whole way through the top.
    http://www.tbhsa.com/index.html

Originally Posted by JSwan
    I love feral children. They taste like chicken.

If any no longer needs/wants their Lucky Braids video I'd be happy to strike a deal with you....PM me!