The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Unregistered QH PPE: test for HYPP and HERDA?

I am having a PPE done on an unregistered Quarter Horse mare that I'd like to buy. She hasn't been tested for HYPP yet and since she is unregistered we don't know if she's got Impressive lines, so I was going to have the vet do an HYPP test.

Should I also have the vet do a HERDA test, or is it obvious when a horse has HERDA? I don't want to waste money on a test that I don't need. I don't know too much about Quarter Horses or their genetic "idiosyncrasies" - is there anything else I should ask the vet to test for that is QH-related?

Thanks, everyone!

EDIT: Whoops, forgot to mention she is 7 years old.
    Last edited by jlc102482; Jul. 15, 2010 at 11:00 AM. Reason: Memory loss! ;)

I would think if she's a few years old it would be obvious, but not positive on that. Usually they don't last too long since their skin sloughs off so easily. Good on you for thinking of it though!

how old is she? If she's older than 3/4, it will be obvious if HERDA is present. If she can be ridden and worked with a saddle, and there are no issues with her skin, she doesn't have it.

HYPP though is well worth the test.

That's really all you need to worry about.

Duh, I meant to post her age - I just updated my original message. She is 7 years old.

Then absolutely no HERDA worries if she's been ridden at all.

Just the HYPP test should be good enough along with the normal PPE. Hopeful grats on your new purchase.
    Adoring fan of A Fine Romance
    Originally Posted by alicen:
    What serious breeder would think that a horse at that performance level is push button? Even so, that's still a lot of buttons to push.

In testing for HYPP, every horse I've known that had the disease looked extremely muscular, even if they were not in work. The test isn't all that expensive (I think it's only $50) so I think it would be worthwhile.

And I agree with what everyone else has said about HERDA.

If she doesn't look like a typical halter horse, I wouldn't worry so much about the HYPP. But you can't go wrong by having the test done since it's pretty cheap. HERDA, no worries there at her age.

If you're planning on breeding this mare, then you should still consider the HERDA test. Since HERDA is a recessive trait, even though she may not be "affected", she may still be a "carrier"; that is something you would want to know prior to breeding her - to make sure the stallion is clear to avoid the chance of producing an affected foal.

Beth