The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Hoofboot education please.

The old boy spent the bulk of his youth in gaited shoes, his toe was looong when we got him and we have finally gotten a more normal profile on his foot. He's a little ouchy still, with a flat foot in front, rather than go the shoe route, which is what the vet has suggested, I'd rather boot him.
    The problem? I haven't seen a horse yet with a boot hereabouts and have no way to ask for recommendations, so I've been online here and elsewhere - by now I am sooo confused!

I like the look of the Renegade, the EZ boot edge (worm screw) not so much the Cavallo but it does look basic, but I'd like the ability to put in some interior padding and liking a boot because of the way it looks isn't really the way to go.

So given a 20ish somewhat arthritic flat footed five gaited horse, which would you recommend and why?

TIA!
    Last edited by ReSomething; Jul. 15, 2010 at 11:52 AM. Reason: got proper name
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

Boot choice really depends on the shape of the hoof.

The folks here are very much up on which boots fit which shapes: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/barefoothorsecare/

With a gaited horse, some people feel that you should boot all 4 feet so as to not throw off the gait.

I've found that my Paso gaits just fine with just front boots, but I use Easyboot Gloves which are pretty light.

Thanks. I'll take measurements of his feet now that I think the long toe is completely gone and see whether he's round or oval or what.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

Easycare, Inc. has a 30 day money back guarantee. Get great measurements (measure 3 times!) and order the Edge (GREAT boots!) or whichever you're most interested in. If you don't like them, call customer service and they will give you a return authorization number to send them back with.

I agree with Leather - I'm going to go with Gloves for my Paso as well.

Quote Originally Posted by ReSomething View Post
    Thanks. I'll take measurements of his feet now that I think the long toe is completely gone and see whether he's round or oval or what.
    That's def. the first step. The next is to consider what your boot is going to be used for and how often you're going take it off and air it out.

Is the horse only going to wear it during riding? In turnout? What kinds of surfaces will the horse encounter (sand, mud, rocky terrain, hard ground, soft ground, water)?

Between that and the horse's foot measurements, you typically end up with only one or two choices.

LOVE my EASYBOOT EDGE and i use the insoles as well. they are great. my horse was very sensitive when we first went BF and he was moving out faster than the other horses in his boots with insoles.