The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Default Train Wreck of the Day :Cyclists...

Ah, Summer. Bugs and Bicycles... and yes dear Moderator 1, it is HR

Where I live is rather hilly, and the roads have no shoulders, and there are several places to ride bicycles. But they can't ride on those, oh no, they have to sprawl over the road and refuse to move.
    Friend is trying to get her horse moved from one barn to the
    another and her horse is not the patient sort. She planned this trip in advance, tried to find the best time,etc. horse tends to get restive, paw at stops, traffic lights.

She gets to a curve that is rather steep but she has no choice as the stable is on this road, and comes around the curve to see about five Lance Armstrong wanna bes trying to make it up the hill.
    Now I know there are great cyclers that know how to share the road, but these evidently didn't get the memo.
    They saw us coming but instead of moving over they just kept on. Wouldn't get into single file, or even move over.
    She couldn't move over because it's a very dangerous place to pass, and has a double yellow line, so she wouldn't anyway.
    Very busy highway with a lot of truck traffic, etc.
    Horse starts pawing, and getting antsy. She doesn't want to but she toots her horn just a little, and they all look back.
    Do you think they move over at last?
    No, they start glaring at us, and one flips us off, and
    yells "Road hog!"
    We finally got to a spot where it's legal to pass and got past them.
    My friend is a saint, and just shook her head.
    Me, I was ready to throw trash out the window and
    yell "Biker Trash" at them, but I didn't.

I hate bicycles. i hate them. Contrary to what people think, paved roads were not meant for bicyles. They were meant for motorized vehicles. If you want to a ride a bicycle move somewhere like China, Middle east. just get the f of my road.
    And no, these people aren't saving gas by riding to work, i don't know what they were doing. They obviously don't have jobs to go to as this was 10:30 am on a week day.
    And lots of hugs and kisses to the group riding monday on my way to the barn.
    They were in single file, and when they heard me coming they used hand signals and moved over as far as they could. I'm not talking about you. Ride all you want.
    i'm talking about the dumb asses who ride on highly traveled roads during rush hour oblivious to the people who work for a llving. i'm talking about the morons who sail through stop signs at highly traveled intersections oblvious to the heavy truck that had the right of way and had to slam on his brakes to avoid hitting your sorry asses. And you had the nerve to flip him off because he honked his horn at you.
    I'm especially peeved at the morons who use my barn's trail as a short cut, and had the nerve to lecture my friend who was riding on it morning how she should move over and let them pass because they were faster.
    She explained quite patiently that this was private property and they were trespassing.
    They said "It's not posted. So too bad."
    Barn Owner had to go out and post signs twice because they kept getting torn down by you guessed it: Bike riders who liked it because it was clear and made a good short cut.
    Before ya'll get all righteous on me and tell me they aren't all like that , I know. I still hate em.
    "I can't help but think good horsemanship has to
    do with the mind." Maria Bertram, Mansfield Park by
    Jane Austen.

I'm a cyclist in a big city. My bike is how I get around; work, school, anywhere about 20k or under (which, with my horse being in an entirely different province, is my general radius!) My biggest annoyance? Other cyclists who ignore the rules of the road! It's extremely frustrating that certain cyclists want all the privileges of riding on the road, but none of the responsibilities; it creates a bad attitude towards all cyclists, including the law abiding ones!

I have reflectors, wear a helmet, obey all road signs and other rules, and always use hand signals. It's not hard, and I really can't imagine why anyone chooses not to do those things.

Last I heard, around here, there are two requirements for cyclists:

1. If you are in the traffic (i.e. not in a specific bike lane or something) then you should be going approximately the speed of the traffic. You shouldn't be slowing everyone down because they can't pass you, or zipping in and out weaving between cars.

2. You have to obey all the rules of the road just as if you were in any other vehicle - that means traffic lights, stop signs, etc.

Of course, not everyone does that, so you end up with people like the ones you mentioned who hog the middle of the road and hold up traffic.

Though my personal favorites are the people who look like they just learned to ride the day before, and are wobbling all over the place. Passing them actually SCARES me because I'm worried they'll veer out into traffic or fall over as I'm passing or something.

I do know lots of people who've gotten around by bike perfectly happily, so it does annoy me that there are these people making a bad name for cyclists. (Though now there are more bike trails to use, so it helps get cyclists off of some of the bigger roads, and some of the other ones have dedicated bike lanes that are wide enough that even if someone's parked on the side of the road, the cyclist can still stay mostly out of the way of traffic.

Hate them too! Thankfully there are not nearly as many in Kentucky as where I lived in southeastern Pennsylvania.

But, a few weeks ago, I ran into a bunch of them on my morning commute, spread out over 10 miles on Rt. 460 between Georgetown and Paris. WTF is wrong with them? Rt. 460 is a no-shoulder, high-fatality, winding road with 55 mph speed limit and many blind curves. And being in the heart of the Bluegrass, routinely traveled by many, many big horse vans. And did I mention - no shoulders and blind curves? Over doubled my morning commute getting repeatedly stuck behind them. I was seething at their stupidity. It's flat-out dangerous to everyone.

No apologies here - I hate them.

Cycling clubs usually have matching jerseys. I'd jot down the color & style, or snap a photo with my phone if able. Then I'd march my (un)happy ass to the local PD and file a complaint.

In all probability it wont' do anything right then. But if more people took to reporting this type of thing, I'm optimistic the behaviour would cease.

Or you could just huff Hostess Sno Balls at them...

Don't you wish you'd had a good roping horse and a lasso? Yee-HAAA!

About the rudest people I've run into on the road (besides Beamer drivers) are cyclists.

Obstructing traffic is a crime, no matter what you're riding in or on. File a complaint with the police or sheriff and give the most complete descriptions you can come up with.
    “There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams

I'm really surprised there aren't more cyclists killed. While it's great to see folks out exercising, I can't imagine choosing to do so on high-speed roads with no shoulder and a lot of blind spots. I know a lot of cyclists prefer to ride in the lane rather than on the shoulder so vehicles overtaking them are forced into the left lane and give them some room when passing. Otherwise, some drivers buzz right by and even clip riders on the shoulder with passenger-side mirrors.

But that only works when the overtaking drivers can see you! I came way too close to a bad accident a couple years ago. I had 5 or 6 horses in the trailer and coasted over a blind hill traveling about 45-50 mph, less than the legal 55 and a lot less than most cars and even loaded tractor trailers travel that road. There they were: two cyclists taking up my entire lane, moving slowly and just starting to coast down the hill. Reflexively stomping on my brakes said there was no way I could slow down fast enough, so I was left with a choice between rear-ending them, going off the right side of the road (10 ft drop off, sure to mangle my horses and not be healthy for me), or taking the left lane. Thank dog there was no oncoming traffic and I was able to pass them safely. It scared the cr*p out of me. I was driving slowly and carefully relative to other traffic and still had no chance to avoid them.

I'm not even going to start on near-wrecks caused by mountain bikers illegally riding on trails that are closed to bikes...

There has to be a better way to co-exist.
    ---------------------------

I don't hate them but I find bicycles that are not following the rules very annoying also. I also would think that anyone with a vehicle on the highway should carry insurance (to include bicycles) and have to have a license, vehicle inspection to ride there. If I have to have both to run my truck up and down the road why should someone who has not done the same have the same rights to the road as my truck? Shouldn't they have to pay vehicle/road taxes also?

A bit tongue in cheek but I'm serious on the insurance though...bicycles can cause accidents also and I see no reason why a rider of a bike on a road with cars presumably with the same right to use that road, should not have to be insured.

The ignorance on this thread is absolutely dumbfounding.

I do not cycle (neck won't allow it) but have friends that do. They obey the rules of the road and yet are consistently yelled at and flipped off. Due to distract drivers on cell phones, two friends have had bad wrecks. They may "annoy" you but their life is in your hands. It is quite terrifying to have some a**hole give you mere inches when you are as far right as you can be. Yes there all bad apples but saying "I hate cyclist" is like saying "I hate equestrians"; it is far too big a group to condemn flat out.

calatar:

I thought the posters were referring to the cyclist that do not observe the rules of the road. Of course your friends aren't rude cyclists.

We had a cyclist killed out here last year. It was very sad. She and a whole slew of her cyclists friends were riding down an extremely busy 55mph hwy and they were spread out all across. A truck came around a curve and could not stop on time and he didn't even have enough warning to swerve into oncoming lane. A young woman, 30 something killed and other cyclist injured. The man driving the truck is still devastated to this day from what I have been told.

It isn't ignorance Calater when folks are constantly inundated by poor cyclists.

It might be different in some areas than others...but in my personal area the bad cyclists far outnumber the good ones. Nobody here bikes for commuting. In my area the people drive in with bike racks, park anywhere they wish, unload their bikes and then harass everyone around. And not just drivers.

They call in complaints to the state troopers (we don't have police departments in small town and they bike here for the scenic roads, but drive here to do it) for things like a hay truck blew chaff at them or a favorite scenic route of theirs now stinks because farmers are fertilizing their fields and they want it to stop because it ruins their enjoyment. They also call and complain about tractors using the road because those go slower than they do sometimes.

They ride up next to pickups at lights and because they're "green" they toss their garbage in our truck beds.

They block the roads pedalling 2, 3, 4 across at a snail's pace even on flat stretches so they can chat with each other while blocking traffic for miles. And flip you off if you want them to go single file. And our roads are very winding and narrow and have no shoulder, no chance of passing because there's no visibility up ahead.

They go through red lights often, or twist through stopped traffic to get to the front.

Some grab onto your vehicle in town so they can "hitch a ride."

They talk on their phones and text while riding all the time. Many times crashing into stopped vehicles doing so.

They view any farm or farm animal as thier own personal amusement park and will stop, climb fences and take photos with your animals. And then try to sue the pants off you if those animals bite them, kick them or chase them. And they feed your animals their snacks they have with them to entice them over for a photo op.

I could list a dozen other problems we have with bicyclists here. It isn't ignorance of what bicyclists go through because we experience it daily during the warm months almost non-stop.

I'm more than supportive of responsible road bikers. They're so rare around here we'll often holler a thank you or wave when they're actually obeying traffic laws and not blocking the roads.

I'd hazard a guess that would be less than 1 in every 10 bicyclists though.

For the rest:
    http://img41.imageshack.us/i/myway.png/

(this gif means joking FWIW)
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

Not too many cyclists here because we are not very scenic, but lots farther north. They are numerous on a very busy highway and careless: http://www.leaderpost.com/health/yog...347/story.html

FrankB, roping people on bikes is fun!!ROFL
    Founder of the Dyslexic Clique. Dyslexics of the world - UNTIE!!

Member: Incredible Invisbles

Quote Originally Posted by calatar View Post
    The ignorance on this thread is absolutely dumbfounding.

I do not cycle (neck won't allow it) but have friends that do. They obey the rules of the road and yet are consistently yelled at and flipped off. Due to distract drivers on cell phones, two friends have had bad wrecks. They may "annoy" you but their life is in your hands. It is quite terrifying to have some a**hole give you mere inches when you are as far right as you can be. Yes there all bad apples but saying "I hate cyclist" is like saying "I hate equestrians"; it is far too big a group to condemn flat out.
    I'm happy to hear that your friends are responsible cyclists, who try to adhere to the rules of the road when they cycle.

However, this thread is about those cyclists who do not follow said rules, and are discourteous to motor vehiclists, equestrians, and any others using the same roads.

Luckily I've never encountered a group of cyclists while on horseback, but I have had to deal with plenty of them in my parents' suburban neighborhood when I visit for a weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    For the rest:
    http://img41.imageshack.us/i/myway.png/

(this gif means joking FWIW)
    hahahahahaha....I love this! And I'm stealing it to post on my Facebook wall. Too funny!
    "It is not necessary for you to let everyone know everything about you. In fact, it is probably wise that you don't. There are some things that you need only discuss with God."

Quote Originally Posted by AnastasiaBeaverhousen View Post
    I hate bicycles. i hate them. Contrary to what people think, paved roads were not meant for bicyles. They were meant for motorized vehicles. If you want to a ride a bicycle move somewhere like China, Middle east. just get the f of my road.
    And no, these people aren't saving gas by riding to work, i don't know what they were doing. They obviously don't have jobs to go to as this was 10:30 am on a week day. ..................
    Before ya'll get all righteous on me and tell me they aren't all like that , I know. I still hate em.
    Pretty much sounds like a rant against all cyclists.

You have no idea if they have jobs and what they do. How do you know that they don't work night shifts, that maybe they have been working 14 hours a day for the last 6 months and this was a day off.

Quote Originally Posted by Schune View Post
    Luckily I've never encountered a group of cyclists while on horseback, but I have had to deal with plenty of them in my parents' suburban neighborhood when I visit for a weekend.
    I wasn't on the trail ride, BUT my grandma and her friends were. They encountered a couple of bike riders, and the bike riders stopped and pulled off to let the horses pass (very polite). However, once the horses started to go by them, a couple of riders PICKED UP THEIR BIKES and held it above their heads and started crashing through the brush on the side of the trail. I think one gals horse got pretty freaked out, but luckily nothing happened.

My dad works in Portland, and Portland is biking heaven. He says that the majority of them obey the rules, stay in their bike lanes and aren't too bad. But some of them are terrible, weaving in and out of traffic, not getting over, ect. There was one guy on one of the really tall bikes, and those can't be stopped or else you topple over. So every time traffic stopped he had to make these little circles in the middle of heavy traffic. Talk about dangerous!

The bikers on the roads near here are usually terrible. Even in the areas that have bike lanes, they don't even try to stay in them! And then the areas where the shoulder is nicely paved and wide, do you think they're riding on the shoulder to let cars pass? NO. Just the other day I was driving past a spot like that and there was a group of cyclists riding 4 across in my lane, and part of the other lane. Took forever to get around them, and I really wanted to get around them before the hairpin corners that were coming up. UGH.

I haven't been unfortunate enough to meet up with bikers on horseback. But I will join in the general fury at cyclists who fail to ride in single file and instead spread out across the road. (It's because they like to chat, per my brother-in-law. Chat at the goddamn coffee bar/restaurant after the ride!)

These bikers are primarily vacationers, and perhaps they bring tourist $$ into the community. Not being a local merchant, can't say whether they're worth the hassle.

Honestly, we get (motorcycle) biker conventions up where we are. Yes, the guys who seem to think that riding mufflerless adds something to the experience drive me crazy. But I'll take a pack of motorcyclists over bicyclists ANY DAY OF THE WEEK.

Because... Coming around blind curves and finding a motorcyclist directly in your path? Not fun. And there will be a day when some poor motorist has to make the decision between hitting another car head on or hitting the cyclist.

Frankly, hitting the cyclist ups the driver's survival chances.

Quote Originally Posted by kaluha2 View Post
    calatar:

We had a cyclist killed out here last year. It was very sad. She and a whole slew of her cyclists friends were riding down an extremely busy 55mph hwy and they were spread out all across. A truck came around a curve and could not stop on time and he didn't even have enough warning to swerve into oncoming lane. A young woman, 30 something killed and other cyclist injured. The man driving the truck is still devastated to this day from what I have been told.
    I am surprised more cyclists are killed like this more often. As one person said earlier, sometimes a driver of a vehicle does not have enough time or warning to stop or avoid a biker. It's not like anyone wants to run someone down but I'm constantly blown away with the utter stupidity of some of the bicyclists who do ride down the middle of road with no regard for physics (the mass of a moving heavy vehicle) or the possibility of an honest mistake in judgment or timing by a motorist.

Where I'm from, cyclists have every right to be on most roads, with the exception of interstates and roads that are marked. If they're going under the speed limit, they need to stay as far to the right as possible. If you're flying around blind corners so fast that you can't stop, I suggest modifying how you're driving - ANYTHING could be around that turn.

I'm going to VERY strongly suggest to most of you that you need to work with these people to become our ADVOCATES, and you can accomplish this by not being crazy horsefolk throwing things out the window. Who else do you think also lobbies for open spaces and public multi-use trails? Yes, cyclists.

I do both - cycle and ride. I don't like ill-mannered cyclists, but some of you need to settle down. If a cyclist is breaking the law, call the police. If your friend has a horse that can't travel, she needs to plan for that accordingly.
    ---
    They're small hearts.

Try having the Longsjo classic in your little town. Cyclists come to your town to train on the roads they are going to be competing on. Our roads are narrow and they ALWAYS seem to be riding two or three abreast. VERY ANNOYING. The day of the race is a pain in the butt too but at least it is only one day.

Sorry to say that there seem to be more bad cyclists than good in my town. God help me if I am driving my horse trailer on those roads.