The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default When do you worry?

I have a lovely colt who is still a little toed out. One more than another but both slightly go out from the pastern down. He was really bad when first born and was also really in with one knee. He has straightened a lot and I was giving him Foal-Aide. My vet isn't too concerned and thought with age he would straighten out but at his inspection she thought I should do something about it before it was too late. So how long do you go before you worry? And if you were to do something what would you do? Try trimming the feet different or go a more extreme route? Thanks

it's not the edge of the earth, but you can see it from here

I always, ALWAYS trim the foot to the foot. Not to anything else.

Jaime Jackson/Pete Ramey type. I was doing it long before it had a name, when I learned it on a Ranch with 4,250 acres and 110 +/- horses. We just DID what helped the horse to be sound and strong.

I don't worry about toed out (or in) until the chest has really sprung. Usually 5 or 6 and sometimes even slightly later.

YES, you trim to help develop corectness... but NO, you don't fuss too much. Let them grow into it.

The ONLy toed out I ever worry about is toed out *after* the chest has sprung.

Just me. I'm probably lost in the dark ages.
    InnisFailte Pinto Sporthorses & Coloured Cobs
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bits are like cats, what's one more? (Petstorejunkie)

A good vet, farrier, and set of xrays are your best friend.

By the time the chest has widened, to turn the legs in, it's almost too late to fix any deviation that is from the fetlock down. If this is truly an abnormal deviation not of the "foal toed out" variety, then the sooner it's worked on, the better.

The foal toeing out is from the chest down - the whole leg is turned out a bit. That's normal. A "straight" leg with a toed out foot isn't normal. It may be what has to be for that horse, but it may also be something you can fix.

I learned to trim from a master farrier, and his thought with corrective trimming/shoeing was that you had until about 8 months old to correct major problems, but minor corrections could continue until about 2 years old.

That's talking correction of deformities, mind you.

In this area, the high-performance breeders deal with a vet and farrier who work together. A farrier well-versed in a variety of corrective shoeing methods as well as corrective trimming. You need frequent radiographs and a lot of maintenance on the horse, but they can correct a lot.

If you're concerned, that's probably the route you want to go. No one online is going to be able to give you a great assessment without seeing the horse and some films.
    Lifestyle coordinator for Zora, Spooky, Wolfgang and Warrior

How old is your foal? My filly toed out and was also knock-kneed for the first two weeks and it completely corrected on its own. I wouldn't change a thing now at two months old.

That said, do the front legs match or is it one leg? I think you are right to be concerned, but urge caution. I have seen a farrier "fix" a toe out, and make the foal beautifully straight. Then 3 years down the line the horse toes-in (after chest widens). Of course I've also seen foals toe-out and toe-out as adults too.
    Siouxland Sporthorses: http://slsfarm.blogspot.com/

DIY Journey of Remodeling the Farmette: http://weownblackacre.blogspot.com/

The lower the problem the less time you have to address it. Fetlocks down would need to be addressed within the first few months of life.

Quote Originally Posted by Home Again Farm View Post
    The lower the problem the less time you have to address it. Fetlocks down would need to be addressed within the first few months of life.
    You've gotten some great info, and the above is very true. The lower down the problem, the quicker it needs to be addressed. Very important to determine if the entire leg is turned out, or if the deviation is just in the fetlock, as someone else mentioned. I would get the foal evaluated ASAP by an experienced farrier/vet.
    Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm."
    --Winston Churchill
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Hills...h/112931293227
    www.HillsideHRanch.com