The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
    Punz Guest

Default Boarding Northern Virginia

I'm "borrowing" my Mom's account but I lurk pretty often.
    Yes I did search and a lot of info was oldish and maybe not really to the point anyway.
    I have an elderly but sound mare that will be coming "home" from a very long lease and I need to find a stall. Our needs are not fancy (kind of tight budget) -just safe. I are looking for a barn that offers feed, turnout, mucking etc. although we could do some - just not always due to a busy non horse schedule. We need a place to ride, but don't need indoors or fancy - just enclosed since my kids are beginners. Kids must be tolerated well since they will be out to ride and love on their pony. We live in Sterling and need to be able to get to the barn and back on school days around all the kid activities so Poolesville and other places across the ferry or down through the "dig" and back up on the other side of the river will not work at all.
    My mom and I used to lease a barn on very small acreage in Vienna where I grew up. We had a small riding ring and access to the W&OD. All that neighborhood is gone now, but that sort of place if one still exists would be great. Note: I teach school in Herndon/Oakton. I wouldn't rule out going further out west on the Virginia side of the river, but that would decrease our ability to be out daily since our travel times would be during the "you can't get there from here" time of day.
    Any ideas for us?

We have a few stalls available. We are about 30 minutes from Vienna.