The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Knock-off of Ariat dress boot thread - Who shows in dress boots now?

Reading the thread regarding the Ariat Westchester dress boots got me wondering who still shows in dress boots versus field boots. I recall Brianne Goutal wearing them the year she won the Maclay.

Growing up in the 80s, I wore dress boots at A shows (hunter ponies and equitation/medal classes). They were part of the accepted formal attire for a larger show. I've shown in field boots all through the 90s and 10s though, but was curious who still shows in dress boots?

Me.
    "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

...just settin' on the Group W bench.

My trainer's customs are dress boots, she shows hunters and jumpers in them. I no longer show but as a junior I showed in my custom Dehner dress boots too. I prefer the look of dress boots but with my high instep I confess I find field boots easier to get on and off for everyday riding.

I love the look of dress boots and would certainly show in them and will show in them when I'm back in form. When I started showing dress boots were always appropriate, field boots not always. Now I hear about trainers forbidding their clients/students from wearing dress boots - like they won't get pinned in dress boots oh puhleeze... I wonder if somewhere along the line some folks associated "dress" boots w/ Dressage? And when you think about it really if a person is going in a classic w/ shadbelly then they really should wear dress boots... which brings me back to dress boots are always appropriate.

I would. I was always taught field boots aren't formal enough to show (and I believe even aren't formal enough for certain hunt situations.) That you can cheat a little with field boots, but dress boots are never wrong, except possibly overkill for cubbing (field boots with tweeds, dress with black/scarlet.)

A friend of mine has custom dress boots that she's worn for oh... 3 years now?

Quote Originally Posted by BAC View Post
    My trainer's customs are dress boots, she shows hunters and jumpers in them. I no longer show but as a junior I showed in my custom Dehner dress boots too. I prefer the look of dress boots but with my high instep I confess I find field boots easier to get on and off for everyday riding.
    My trainer (and the majority of trainers I know now) are showing in custom dress boots. I prefer this look which is what drew me to the look of Westchester boot in the first place.
    Become a Posse and help keep kids on horses and off the streets.
    http://www.comptonjrposse.org/