The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Looking for reputable H/J Sales Barn in the DFW area

I'm looking for a reputable H/J sales barn in the Dallas Fort Worth area to sell my Coconut Grove gelding. I'm very attached to him, so I want to send him where he'll recieve great care and kind treatment. Any suggestions?

We are not in your area, but have taken horses from all over the US and sold them for their owners. They are cared for as if they were my own, as most owners are too far away to come at all even if they wanted to. We only take a few at a time and devote our time to working them and finding the right match. if interested please email me and I can give you details, but our marketing board is VERY reasonable.

I would suggest calling October Hills Farm. They are currently standing him right now and I know the have a great staff. I do not know if they take consignments but could make an excellent suggestion. They are somewhere around weatherford I think. Good luck!

How much are you looking to spend, or do you want someone to take him off the cuff? What's his background? "A" circuit, local stuff, etc.?

Kind of hard to make a rec with what you've given us. I don't want to recommend someone who's showing heavily on the circuit if your horse is just bumping around the 2'6".

Hey, thanks for the quick replies. He's a 17 hh branded Oldenburg (his dam is a big Wendepunkt mare). He's green and just getting started over fences. He's 6 years old. His late start is due to the fact that I was going through a nasty divorce when I should have been sending him off to the trainer.

Earlier this year, he spent 120 days with Roger Daly in Aubrey, TX. I cannot say enough good things about that man and his program. The training he received there was outstanding. He's a fun ride, very soft in the mouth and super-responsive to the aids. Makes me want to send my older horses to Roger, too.

I'd considered keeping this horse, but I also have his younger full sister (who will go to Roger next spring) and I've made the hard decision to keep her and sell him. I've finally conceded to my new husband that I need to trim my horse herd down a bit. I also have the dam of those two for sale if anyone's interested. The filly got Premium at her inspection with 8.2s across the board.

As far as what I want to spend goes, I expect that good quality training is not cheap, but I think he's a nice enough horse that he's worth it. I've never marketed a young talented horse before, so any suggestions are welcome.

October Hill is a great idea. I'm going to give Wendy a call today.
    Last edited by horse-poor; Jul. 15, 2010 at 12:17 PM.

Horse Poor, I sent you a PM.... Hope you got it.
    No answer from others I've sent, so starting to wonder about my email......