The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Information on Horse Show Entries

As I was preparing to fill out a horse show entry form, I noticed that they are prompting me for my Social Security number. Why would a horse show need this? I haven't been prompted to give an SS number before and have filled out my share of horse show entries....

I'm reluctant to provide it. My DH has beaten into me the importance of protecting such personal info and I'm reluctant to fax it off on the same sheet that rightfully includes my age and birthdate to a random horse show office. Thoughts?
    "To understand the soul of a horse is the closest human beings can come to knowing perfection."

Its so they can file proper tax info and send you a 1099 for prize money.

Do not provide it. There is absolutely no reason for them to have your SSN, and if they absolutely must (have shows gotten so expensive that they have to run credit checks now?), you can give it to them when you get there.

Just out of curiosity, which show is it?

ETA: The prize money thing makes sense. In that case, you could give it to them when you check out, if necessary. I still wouldn't fax it or send it through the mail.
    According to the Mayan calendar, the world will not end this week. Please plan your life accordingly.

Yup, it's for prize money IRS purposes.
    Quote Originally Posted by tidy rabbit View Post
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community.

It is for IRS purposes but I never write it on my form. If the office insists they have it on the form I question them heavily on who has access to it, where they keep it, how long they keep it for, what their policy is for disposing of it, and anything else I can think of at the time. If they punch it into their computer they get the same type of questions from me regarding the security on their computer.

I would not give my SS# out freely. Ask any questions you feel necessary regarding the safe keeping of your personal information. There is a lot of identity theft going on, be very cautious.

If you're not showing in a division with prize money, you don't need to include the SSN. I don't and I've never been questioned.
    Honey badger don't give a sh!t.

Do NOT give it out,. having been a victim this year of identity theft and fraudulent tax return (someone stole my info including SSN and filed income taxes and got MY refund, STILL fighting the IRS over it!) I will NEVER EVER provide that information in writing again!!!!!

They won't take entries without one. That is a blank that offices have a fit if it's not filled in.

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

That is one reason why we set up an LLC to own the horses I show. I use the Fed. tax ID of the LLC for entries and thus - my SS# is never disclosed.
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

Southern California - on a freeway someplace

I have been known to put an obviously fake one in on online entries when the horse isn't going in any money classes and the form requires it. 123-45-6789 is a good one.
    The Evil Chem Prof

I fill out the entries for my barn and only include it when the client is entered into a money class. I have at times not entered it and if the client wins money the trainer gives the show secretary the SSN when she goes to the office. No show secretary has ever complained.

If you fail to provide your SSN, you cannot show in divisions where prize money is awarded. Most offices will not accept entries without it.
    Here today, gone tomorrow...

Sometimes you can get away with providing the last 4 digits, e.g. *6789

Technically, you have to exceed a dollar value ($500.00 I think?) for them to need the number to report to the IRS. I believe that is per show. There is no need for them to refuse an entry, however crediting your account at the end could be a problem if they don't have your number. How many of us actually win $500 at a show anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by CBoylen View Post
    They won't take entries without one. That is a blank that offices have a fit if it's not filled in.
    That is only a true statement if you are showing in classes with prize money. And even in classes with prize money maybe not true.

However, having spoken to the IRS about this Lieb Schon is correct, they only need your SSN # if you win $600 or more. Less than that and they don't need to file with IRS.

Any organization that asks for your SSN has a responsibility to keep that data secure ( encrypted data etc ). Somehow I doubt that any show has that capability.

So far I've not provided my SSN in 5 states, 3 zones even when showing in money classes and I've never been asked for the number when checking out ( even when they wrote me a check).

JUst say NO. Or give a fake number. Identify theft is not funny.

Shows are required to submit 1099 for any entity winning prize money over $599 total. so that could be for multiple shows, or just one show, depending on the management and company responsible for paying prize money.

Most secretaries are OK with you giving it at check out if you are in a low $ division, but if you are in big $ divisions/classes then they will require it at check in, to avoid any issues at check out.

From a secretary position, shows are required to keep entry blanks for a minimum of 3 years (USEF Rules). I know that we send all ours to a shredding company at that point and I personally am very careful to shred any entry blanks (regardless of SSN or not) that might be "trash" at the show (duplicate, etc).

My company does have a secure office and has been bonded and goes through routine security checks (required for most places that do CC over the internet anyway).

Most companies take good care of the information, hard copy and electronic.

Personally I think you have more to be afraid of hackers into large companies than you would horse show offices.

LOL, don't anger the show management- they would be in a wonderful position to screw people over (with the SSN, blank checks, credit card numbers, etc). I don't normally put down a SSN unless there is prize money involved. I also don't mail in entries with blank checks like some people do.

The way some management handles prize money is always kind of funny to me. I had one show actually hand me a check when I closed my tab (now that felt GOOD!) and it was a big check to boot. They also did not send a 1099, oops! At another show, they didn't apply my prize money to my account so they sent me my check (all $8 of it) about 2 months later.

We'll take entries without a SSN, but do require it upon checkout if there was money won.

eta: Anger us all you want - we still would never use that info for personal gain!
    Not all who wander are lost.

Quote Originally Posted by Molly99 View Post
    Shows are required to submit 1099 for any entity winning prize money over $599 total. so that could be for multiple shows, or just one show, depending on the management and company responsible for paying prize money.

Most secretaries are OK with you giving it at check out if you are in a low $ division, but if you are in big $ divisions/classes then they will require it at check in, to avoid any issues at check out.

From a secretary position, shows are required to keep entry blanks for a minimum of 3 years (USEF Rules). I know that we send all ours to a shredding company at that point and I personally am very careful to shred any entry blanks (regardless of SSN or not) that might be "trash" at the show (duplicate, etc).

My company does have a secure office and has been bonded and goes through routine security checks (required for most places that do CC over the internet anyway).

Most companies take good care of the information, hard copy and electronic.

Personally I think you have more to be afraid of hackers into large companies than you would horse show offices.
    I doubt very much that your company meets security requirements. Do you encrypt your data? Where are your backups stored? Who controls access to your entry blanks?
    Just as an FYI, security requirements to do CC transactions are much different than SSN security. Why would you think the two types of transactions are related from a security point of view?

Most companies do not take good care of the information thus the constant notices from banks and insurance companies that 'your info has been compromised'.

I'm in no danger of winning prize money. I think I'll fax that entry today without an SSN provided and see what happens...hopefully the show will note that I'm not entered in any stake classes and just let it go.

I feel for those of you who do compete for prize money though...that's a bit of a risk for you guys to have that information out there, IMO. I had never seen that before.
    "To understand the soul of a horse is the closest human beings can come to knowing perfection."