The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

I was just looking back on an old thread about the girl in California who died in 2003. I spoke with a trainer of hers today and got me thinking about Robyn.
    She really left a mark on me. Since the day I heard of her fall, I have always worn my helmet even just to hack.
    I guess in a way her death helped remind me to always wear my helmet..sort of like she died to make us safe..Does that make sense to you? How about you, do you wear your helmet every time you ride?

I was just looking back on an old thread about the girl in California who died in 2003. I spoke with a trainer of hers today and got me thinking about Robyn.
    She really left a mark on me. Since the day I heard of her fall, I have always worn my helmet even just to hack.
    I guess in a way her death helped remind me to always wear my helmet..sort of like she died to make us safe..Does that make sense to you? How about you, do you wear your helmet every time you ride?

I wear mine everytime. I don't wear my seatbelt except when I go on base, but I don't get on without a hard hat.
    COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by TheJenners:
    I wear mine everytime. I don't wear my seatbelt except when I go on base, but I don't get on without a hard hat. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Please wear your seatbelt! I am a nurse and see the devistating results of trauma patients who didn't wear their seatbelts!

Every ride, every time. I've seen too many people injured doing stupid things -- horse walking on a loose rein tripping and falling, etc. Besides I have an opinionated mare and a 4 year old OTTB barely under saddle. I also wear my seatbelt all the time. My father died in an MVA at 34 years old due to massive head trauma because he wasn't wearing a seatbelt. Why tempt fate?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    *Phenix* 1990 Trakehner Mare
    *Vanderbilt* 2001 OTTB Gelding

My head has had enough inner damage already.

YES!!! Even if I just hop on for a few minutes to walk one around to cool it off for a trainer.
    "The best thing for the inside of a man is the outside of a horse" Lord Palmerston

Yes. When I was eight I fell off a 30 year old beginner horse and a walk and hit my head so hard my helmet shattered. I was fine, but when I went to the doctor(with the helmet) I was told that without it I probably would have had serious head injurys.

So yes, I wear a helmet. My brain dosent work properly without damage!
    “If you lose hope, somehow you lose the vitality that keeps life moving, you lose that courage to be, that quality that helps you go on in spite of it all. And so today I still have a dream.”
    Dr. Martin Luther King

ME!!!!!
    Go, Baby, Go......
    Aefvue Farms Footing Inspector

Always.

I had enough closed head injuries as a child to not even CONSIDER not wearing one now.
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

"When a horse greets you with a nicker & regards you with a large & liquid eye, the question of where you want to be & what you want to do has been answered." CANTER New England

From the very first time I was ever on a horse's back (about age five???)... until now (ahem... a little over forty years later). It's second nature, and probably saved my life--at least once (I vaguely recall a tree limb that came out of nowhere...).

And when I first started working my youngster in the round pen, I put it on as well.

http://community.webshots.com/user/helenofnc
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give." - Churchill

me!

every ride, every time
    ~Former Disgruntled College Clique...recently graduated and out in the real world...

Originally from Greensboro, NC --- Now in Bristol, VA

ditto for me. i've been on a horse once in my life w/out a helmet...i was 10, my horse was perfect, i was walking, lasted 5 minutes before i hopped off and said that i didn't feel comfortable without it.

i've had a few falls that would have been very serious if i had not had my brian bucket on, and i know more than a few people who would be seriously injured if they hadn't had theirs on.

i had one fall that crashed me into a 4 board fence, and 3 nails went into my helmet. 2 of them only went in about 1/2 inch, but one went in so far that the very very tip of it penetrated the last layer, and it scratched my head. if i hadn't had the helmet on...well...

On May 16th I took a fall that resulted in a C1 fracture. I was planily told many time by my doctors that w/o a helmet Id be looking at massive head trauma.

My fall happened going from a walk to a canter transition, the horse tripped and fell on his face. I have always worn my helmet on every ride but its so scary how something so normal as a canter transition gone wrong can get you so hurt.
    ~Lindsay~

I always wear my helemt, even when I used to ride my made large pony. It's too big of a risk not too, and I know getting into a good habbiat when I'm young will have me always wearing a helmet even when I'm an adult.

I just spent the past two days watching my best friend, a fellow rider, who sustained a fractured skull and brain hemorrhage due to a fall. She was farm sitting for her trainer... and I drove up Wednesday night to find a loose pony with a leadrope for reins... and my friend nowhere in sight. I found her in the house, confused and vomiting, with no idea what had happened. Thank GOD she WAS wearing a helmet. I can't even fathom how bad it would've been had she not been wearing a helmet. She told me later, once she began to recall what had happened, that she'd thought about just hopping on without her helmet. After all, she was just getting on some beginner pony to take a bareback walk in the evening. She had second thoughts about that, and ran back to the barn to grab her helmet. Luckily. Anyway, head trauma is so scary. As a kid, I never wore a helmet riding at home... and when I was showing, I just wore a hunt cap (it was before the days of approved helmets being required for juniors...). But after taking all the swan dives I've taken, and flipping my car, helmets and seat belts are second nature to me. I'd rather have helmet-hair anyday than be lying in a neuroscience ICU with tubes coming out of my head.
    *Rifter*
    "The ultimate test of a rider's skill is his simplicity." --George Morris

C_M_B Guest

I do...I use to be really bad at remembering to wear it, but now I wear it every ride, every time.

I was riding a mare about a month ago...she was being great..perfectly quiet and we were cantering. Hit a slick spot and we both went down. I use to only wear it if I was getting on a horse I didnt know or a horse with a bad rep, but after I went down with the mare and she was being good, I wear it all the time.

you can take the girl outta NY, but ya can't take NY outta the girl

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by intuition:
    me!

every ride, every time </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Helmet clique? I'm in!
    I tried out a new saddle once on my very sensitive "delicate" horse I didn't even get an 8 second ride. foot in stirrup, just touched down and away we went! If I hadn't worn my helmet, forget it, my head would have been mush. I kept the helmet to show my 4h kids, and they learned from that, helmets are mandatory every ride. BTW, this was a certified helmet, and I still got a knot on my head from the impact. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...s/icon_eek.gif
    to err is human, to whinny, Equine.
    Ebay-aholic! Carolina clique, BITS AND BARTER BOARD BUDDY
    EYEGLASSES MISSIONS FOR ARMENIA-send me your old glasses!

West of insanity, east of apathy, deep in the heart of Texas.

I didn't used to, but do now. Husband influenced me greatly. He was a national class cyclist and would never think about getting on either bike or horse without a helmet. I used to think he was silly, but the older I get, the more cautious (or maybe even smarter? http://chronicleforums.com/images/cu...milies/lol.gif ) I get. So now I wear one every time. As someone else said, why tempt fate? http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c.../icon_wink.gif
    In loving memory of Laura Jahnke.
    A life lived by example, done too soon.
    www.caringbridge.org/page/laurajahnke/

I "started" riding when the approved helmet rule was already in place at barns/shows etc.

So, it is an in-grained habit...

I "forgot" ONCE! Was late for a lesson and in the scramble I was warming up without a helmet.

My horse was "FRESH" http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...n_rolleyes.gif and one of the barn worker's asked me "why no helmet" (as we were passaging by)!

YIKES!!!! I had the "FEELING" from the beginning that I had forgotten something...you know that feeling? Just put it down to being rushed...

It just felt SOOO STRANGE! Glad it is a habit for me! http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...icon_smile.gif