The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
    South Florida

Default Dry cough

So my gelding has had this dry, hacking cough now for several weeks. In the past I would give him some Cough Free and it would take it right away. Not this time. Vet out last week and gave him some Dex. Have not finished the dose but had him out again today since it was not getting any better. Mostly during exercise, but here and there when being groomed. Today he did a rinse and will get a culture and left me with some cough medicine. Lungs totally sounded perfect. Would love to hear some other things that you have found to work for this type of problem. Hay and food already soaked on a regular basis anyway, so no need to suggest this. Thanks for the suggestions.

My gelding gets a cough if he gets even the smallest amount of mold. Last time he developed a cough I discovered the sources was his treats. They were cookies that I left in my non-airconditioned tack locker, in a plastic zip lock and they were only about 15 days old. But I'm in a very hot and humid climate. I couldn't even see the mold on the cookies and they smelled fine. But I threw them out just in case. Now I use sugar cubes or bring fresh carrots.