The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Airsoft, BB guns, and paint ball guns questions

Does anyone know what an "Airsoft Gun" is in the first place? I was looking at Dick's Sporting Goods online for paint ball guns and came across them.

I'm going to stop at Dick's in a day or so as I'll be out that way, but I figured it's too hot out to do much except get on the puter so I'd go to COTHer's for some answers.

Paint Ball Guns

What is the range of them? Will they hurt the pasture grass, or more importantly, the horses and deer that graze on any pasture grass that gets splattered with a paint ball?

BB guns

Also, what is the range of them? Will they do significant harm to foxes?

My problem is a family of foxes have invaded the farm. For a while they were digging holes on the grave of a horse that was buried last winter. Big enough holes that would break a horse's leg if stepped in. After putting down male Great Dane dog urine (supplied by a kind COTHer ) around the grave and filling the holes with rocks, they've pretty much stopped that.

They are enjoyable to watch but they are taunting my dog unmercifully. During the early morning and late evening they will be playing and/or resting in the back pasture or the outdoor ring. The dog can see them but cannot get at them because of Invisible Fence, which she respects. When I do the 10 PM barn check and dog walk, at least one will run back and forth in the outdoor ring and part of the back yard the dog cannot reach causing the poor dog to go ballistic and run and twist and turn and run etc. Considering the dog is lame to begin with, she doesn't need any additional strain. I don't want to put her on a leash either as she really enjoys her freedom and considers it her "job" to check out the boundaries of the farm that she can see and reach, but if need be I will put her on a leash for the 10 PM check.

I really don't want to kill them and a Wildlife Officer said they are virtually impossible to trap and relocate, I figured if I was able to hit them with a couple of paint balls, it wouldn't kill them but might make them find a new playground.
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

An airsoft gun is one that shoots solid plastic pellets.

A paintball gun will fire shorter or farther accurately depending on the size/pressure of the co2 for the weapon.
    The more pressure, the farther the trajectory. Also look at rifles and not pistols. Pistols are easier to carry around but a rifle is easier to be accurate with and has a lot more force and reach. If you freeze the rounds they go farther still and have less air wobble/more accurate.
    The liquid in paintball rounds is nontoxic. You can also custom fill your rounds wiith a hypodermic and the liquid of your choice. Anything from animal musk to urine to vinegar to plai water. The thicker the substance the more the accuracy and distance though.
    if you're new to firearms...get is scoped and ask that they calibrate the scope for you. Doesn't need to be super fancy or anything. If not calibrated then get used to it with a target. Paintballs wobble in flight slightly..so where the crosshairs or dot on the target is through the scope might not be where the paintball hits. Just get used to it's pattern and you'll know where to place the scope when aiming at something later.
    Tell the salesman what you want the rifle for and that you need maximum distance if possible and a scope and what your budget is. They can use the canisters from one on another rifle to put together the package you need.
    You can go fancier and get a night vision scope too.
    Also ask for a Sniper Rifle. That's the longest distance model. You'll want a barrel at least 20".

BB guns actually have less distance than a paintball gun but more accuracy due to solid rounds. It will depend on the distance that you fire the BB rifle from whether or not it punctures skin. At "normal" distance it shouldn't go through skin. But you'll have to get closer with the BB gun than the paintball gun. I'd suggest a scope for that too.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

agree with above.

Dicks has some good options for pellet/bb guns. Just make sure you get one that is powerful enough. I have one pellet gun that kills squirrels and such(obviously pierces skin) whereas I got onen from Dicks(for like 45 bucks...)that wont hurt much. It was so weak, a few friends and I even shot eachother in the butt(stupid idea...dont try it!) and this gun left a red mark but didnt pierce skin.

Definitely go for the rifle...many of them come with attachable scopes. My sister has deer/squirrels/foxes/skunks etc that come into her yard frequently...she shoots them all with the pellet gun to irritate them and defer them from coming into her yard--doesnt work.

In VA, its illegal to shoot(and kill) a fox...not sure about NY, but that might be your only option if they keep coming back. They can be pretty nasty animals.

Misty and AliCat, thanks for the info. I can generally get within about 20' of the little bugger that really taunts my girl when I chase him through the outdoor arena and into the hedgerow cause he keeps stopping, turning around to make sure I'm still there. The biggest problem is that it's at ~ 10 PM and pretty dark. I think though I might try to turn the outdoor ring lights on. That might scare him off at least once anyway. Heck they haven't been used since 2003 as I retired at Thanksgiving time then and rode in daylight after that.

I'll ask my neighbor about the legality or illegality of shooting the fox to kill( if need be and I hope it doesn't come to that). He's a retired county sheriff. I know I mentioned to him when they were digging at the grave about shooting them and he said he'd come over and do it. I'll even ask at Dick's when I go in. I really only want them to stop digging so much and to stop taunting my dog.

I really enjoy watching them when they play. There used to be 4 young ones and I've only recently seen just 2 so the others might have paired off and gone somewhere else.

Misty, I'm even considering getting that remote control helicopter to buzz him but I'm afraid I'd crash it into a fence post chasing him.
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

LOL...those things are fun as hell! But yeah, they take some getting used to flying them.
    I had to climb a tree to get it out more than once and I hate heights! (and shouldn't have been trying to fly it in and out of branches! Give me a toy and I turn into a middle aged kid)

If you think you'll get ample use out of having a rifle (predators, pests like groundhods, skunks, et al, wandering neighbor dogs, etc) then look at something like the rap4 line of Sniper rifles. They're a bit more expensive but serious stuff. Night vision scopes aren't that expensive anymore either. Very easy to use the Rap4 too. And you can power it up to scare a fox or knock someone off a bicycle at a couple hundred feet and leave a mega-welt, LOL!
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    LOL...those things are fun as hell! But yeah, they take some getting used to flying them.
    I had to climb a tree to get it out more than once and I hate heights! (and shouldn't have been trying to fly it in and out of branches! Give me a toy and I turn into a middle aged kid)

If you think you'll get ample use out of having a rifle (predators, pests like groundhods, skunks, et al, wandering neighbor dogs, etc) then look at something like the rap4 line of Sniper rifles. They're a bit more expensive but serious stuff. Night vision scopes aren't that expensive anymore either. Very easy to use the Rap4 too. And you can power it up to scare a fox or knock someone off a bicycle at a couple hundred feet and leave a mega-welt, LOL!
    Misty, I love your posts. You sound like so much fun. Wanna go to DisneyWorld sometime? There is a kid in me that has never ever grown up. I don't steps on a ladder any higher than 3 but give me a roller coaster or ferris wheel, or those cute spinning cups and I'm happy! I also sign up for Medicare in a few months!!!!!

PS. The info related to the topic is great also!

Actually, other than the occasional 'coon and some feral cats, these foxes have been the first real PITA in the 20 yrs I've been on the farm so I guess I'm pretty lucky. Now, dealing with some humans is another story. I might be tempted to turn the gun on some of them!

I really would like the paint ball gun because, if I hit one of these red foxes, I'd be able to tell if they came back if they had a big spot of blue or yellow or purple on them!
    Sue

LOL...I'm no good in crowded places like Disney World. I'm much better around either groups of farmers or horse folks or around animals. I can get along with anyone, but not a huge fan of crowds. And when I get stuck in crowded areas I amuse myself by screwing with peoples' heads. (crowds probably dislike me too )

Paintball rifles are great for identifying animals that bug you when they come back. Especially nice for roaming dogs...dog owner has a helluva time denying his dog was on your property when the dog comes home with technicolor spots all over it.

They also work great for deer that get into people's gardens. (and rabbits)

It is very tempting to splat the heck out of annoying people. However, these things hurt like the dickens when you shoot someone with them (if they're not wearing protective gear).

here's a video of what a mid-grade paintball gun can do at about 20':
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQhdeub1RNo

Check out the welts/bruises on this kid immediately after getting shot. (not a very bright kid BTW)

So yup, usually when you hit something a time or two with a paintball gun it goes away and doesn't come back.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte