The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Olney Farm Horse Trials

Help! I need feedback ( and entries too!). The new event at Jersey Horsepark this year has pretty much taken all my entries for my USEA event Aug 1 and I am in danger of cancelling. I have been running this event for 20+ years and have always wanted to stay small and friendly to encourage first year eventers or green horse eventers, but are the mega-events the "new wave"? As a competitor, would you rather go to the big ones (and pay more?). What do I need to not make my event the multi level, mega event, but still attract enough riders to make a go of it. I think I could do it with 60-75 riders - and we have been running 85-100 every year....but not this year. Has anyone been to Olney Farm HT in the last couple of years and can offer some constructive criticism? We are building new tracks with input from Sarah Connelly who has been co-organizing Denis Glaccum with Plantation Field Horse Trials and is going for her CD license, but do I spend the money ---or just go to unrecognized events? Oh yeah...I run BN, N and T. Is that just too old timey and backwoods?
    One of the reason I started a USEA event was to get USEA officials to look at my courses and make suggestions for better courses and fences , and improve safety. Good USEA judges won't work at unrecognized events because they don't have the liability insurance coverage that the USEA gives the recognized events gives them.

Here's a chance for you as competitiors to let an organizer know what you want! And I can't complain because I asked you to tell me.....

I just sent my entry yesterday! It might be a little bit late. But that's one more.

In all honesty, I really, truly HATE your indoor. It's dark, and the footing is dead, and I've never had a good test there.

I would normally consider going to your event, but I'm doing a dressage show instead that day. I only do unrecognized, so your event is good for me in that regard.

But I do BBN, so you don't have a division for me.

I have no opinions on the facility since I haven't been there yet.

I have been to your event several times and always had a great time.

I agree with the other poster that I dislike riding dressage in the indoor. I always told myself it was a level playing field - noone else's fault that my horse lost it and others didn't.

I think that you lose the pros and possibly their students when you don't have the upper levels - they like to go to one event even if they drive back and forth two days it seems like.
    I am not coming this time because of the heat/footing right now at home - I'm planning to start back trying to ride regularly about the time of your event to do an event in September.

I do think younger eventers like the flashy fences and facilities of some of the larger events and grumble if there are too many logs or coops on a course. I would put course photos on your website and mention the new fences in the omnibus listing to perk interest.

I hope that helps and I hope to come back soon!

Default Olney Farm HT

Quote Originally Posted by Highflyer View Post
    I just sent my entry yesterday! It might be a little bit late. But that's one more.

In all honesty, I really, truly HATE your indoor. It's dark, and the footing is dead, and I've never had a good test there.
    Ouch! Well that's honest! The indoor was scheduled for new footing and the savings account was just about ok, when the barn well went dry, so....
    We'll just use it for warmup this year and maybe the savings account will build up again.

Default Like your event, but...

Really like your event and have run there the last several years, but the NJHP is VERY close to home. So it was a logistic question for me and my students. I was really bummed about both happening on the same weekend. I have always had fun at your HT and it's a great course for the young horse or newbie rider at a level to get their feet wet. So for me it did just boil down to length of travel time.

I will come back and run your event again, no worries that there was anything wrong with your courses. I will say that the first year I went to your event I liked the dressage rings in the field that you had to hack down the road to... those were nice and the warm up was quite good too. Perhaps if that is still available put one ring down there and the other in the sand ring. That would eliminate the need for the indoor, that I don't think anybody enjoys, sorry.

The other thing going on that weekend is Pony Club championships, so that cuts out some of your riders. Good luck, and we hope to get down there next time!

sending in my entry!

I used to never miss your horse trial... the summer rec/fall unrec, but with an upper level horse it is just easier to take everyone to one outing rather than spread it out. But baby horse needs a positive run after fixing horrific shoeing problems, so we are coming back!

Default Olney Farm Ht sending in entry

Quote Originally Posted by DefyingGravityEventing View Post
    sending in my entry!

I used to never miss your horse trial... the summer rec/fall unrec, but with an upper level horse it is just easier to take everyone to one outing rather than spread it out. But baby horse needs a positive run after fixing horrific shoeing problems, so we are coming back!
    Yay! Not yay because of shoeing problems; but yay 'cause you're coming!
    Last edited by Ami; Jul. 17, 2010 at 08:08 PM.