The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Penicillin causing swelling/knots

My horse has been on penicillin for 7 days now (finishing today! Yay!!!) and has developed quite a set of lumps. He's getting it 2x a day, and rotating neck and butt. You can feel the knots in his butt, but they're smaller and not very visible. His neck, on the other hand, is moderately swollen.

Would a hot compress help these calm down? He's not acting painful, but they sure don't look like they'd feel good.

Definitely worth a try, yes.

I would also apply Sore No More, Traumeel or other topical with arnica in it. I have had great success with this on an inflammed injection site.

Good luck.

Are you massaging the injection location to disperse the meds? VERY important!

Nope, vet didn't mention that.

apachepony - Did you notice any results with the hot compress?

My mare has her last penicillin dose tonight (thank god it's almost over!), and her neck and chest are still a little ouchy and swollen. Just wondering if you (or anyone else) saw good results using a hot compress. (Or perhaps a cool compress... or alternating hot and cool...)

Just want her comfortable and back to her regular self as soon as possible.

For future reference....divide the dose if it is more than 10cc and give in two separate spots. Massage the injection site for several minutes to help disperse the medication into the muscle tissue rather than have it sit there in a lump. Warm compresses for 15-20 minutes might help....increased circulation will remove damaged tissue but getting heat into the muscle that deep (assuming 2 inch needle or more) isn't going to occur in just a couple minutes...not sure if even 15-20 minutes will actually heat tissue that deep.

IMO, in the future if the vet every suggests pen I would ask for something different. Pen is extremely dangerous to give to horses. I know of too many horses that have died from it and would not ever think about giving it to my horses. Pen is cheap but there are many other options that are much more safe.

This was my first time administering penicillin to a horse, so I just followed my vet's instructions. I split the dose into two shots (2x 15cc) but didn't massage the injection site much as my vet didn't mention it. I wish I'd known that before I started!

I'm going to try a hot compress today and see if that helps any. How long is "normal" for the swellings to go down? She doesn't have any really bad ones, but she's still a bit "lumpy," if you will.

PPG *Shudder* Maybe it's just my years and years of working as a tech, but I'd ask my vet to put in a catheter and I'll give K-Penn. Make sure you have your vet explain proper techniques for giving IM penicillin injections. Once you see a PPG reaction you will never be the same.
    All I pay my psychiatrist is the cost of feed and hay, and he'll listen to me any day.

I don't think there is any horse person that doesn't cringe when the vet says "Pen injections 2X daily for 10 days." Yuck. Both horse and handler are miserable at the end. Sometimes there are alternatives, sometimes not.

Hot compresses will help, as will the Traumeel. It will take several days, but the lumps will disperse, as will any soreness.

We have a "no treat" policy in our barn. But in the case of penicillin treatment, many carrots for each injection is the rule!
    Laurie
    Finding, preparing, showing and training young hunters, in hand and performance.
    www.juniorjohnsontrainingandsales.com

Thanks for the suggestions. I will try a hot compress and see if I can find a topical to apply.

As far as shying away from penicillin... are there better alternatives? I was given the option of TMS tablets or injectible penicillin (I used Pen G), but my vet told me the penicillin was more effective, so I went with the latter.

Quote Originally Posted by lauriep View Post
    We have a "no treat" policy in our barn. But in the case of penicillin treatment, many carrots for each injection is the rule!
    Yes, many treats were given! She was a very good girl, and I wanted to keep it that way (and keep her from hating me, haha). She got apple treats as a hello, I'm sorry I'm about to inflict this on you, and always got an apple when I was done for being so good!

Yes, there are other options. Naxcel is a good option for pretty much any infection. Many old time vets still use Pen even though it's not really the drug of choice any longer.

Quote Originally Posted by davistina67 View Post
    Yes, there are other options. Naxcel is a good option for pretty much any infection. Many old time vets still use Pen even though it's not really the drug of choice any longer.
    I like using Naxcel, but it can sometimes cause nasty (and fatal) colitis. It seems to be a regional thing as we never had any problem with it, but it's not without side effects either.... also very pricey!

Penicillin is a good antibiotic for many conditions, but you need to administer carefully......

But no antibiotic, is always the correct one, it depends on the reason you are using it.....
    Turn off the computer and go ride!

I won't give Pen any more, especially to a client's horse. My sister had a boarder on it and the vet happened to be there in the evening so gave the shot. Mare freaked out, fell on my sister, broke her leg, surgery and ended up with a pulmonary embolism! how's that for a story?

Quote Originally Posted by shea'smom View Post
    I won't give Pen any more, especially to a client's horse. My sister had a boarder on it and the vet happened to be there in the evening so gave the shot. Mare freaked out, fell on my sister, broke her leg, surgery and ended up with a pulmonary embolism! how's that for a story?
    Yup, it's nasty when you see a reaction. Regardless of how careful you are you can still get a reaction and it is so not worth it just because you don't want to spend the money for a better option!

I just had a mare treated with a new cephalosporin (releated to penicillins but often ppl with pcn allergy can tolerate cephalosporin) called EXCEED. It was given as a split IM injection (one injection into each side of neck). You give a dose on day 1 then four days later give a second set. Then you are done. It provides 10 days of coverage. It did leave mild swelling in her neck and mild tenderness but not bad! Definitely recommend.

Quote Originally Posted by rockfordbuckeye View Post
    I just had a mare treated with a new cephalosporin (releated to penicillins but often ppl with pcn allergy can tolerate cephalosporin) called EXCEED. It was given as a split IM injection (one injection into each side of neck). You give a dose on day 1 then four days later give a second set. Then you are done. It provides 10 days of coverage. It did leave mild swelling in her neck and mild tenderness but not bad! Definitely recommend.
    It's just a longer acting form of Naxcel. I used it a couple of months ago. It's WAY better than giving a ton of Penicillin shots though.