The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default People and buying saddles on Internet

Ok I finally broke down and purchased a western pleasure training saddle over the Internet. Spoke with the buyer and got pictures and everything. I was really excited about the purchase because I thought the saddle was perfect for me. It was advertised as a 16 inch saddle but when I received it is actually a 16 1/2 seat which is too big for me. I can't believe how people can mispresent the facts.

Please don't anyone post a comment stating that perhsps the seller didn't know the actual seat size. I reallly don't know see how a knowledgeable horse person could own a saddle for several years and not know what size it it.

Sure you can own a saddle for several years and not know what size it is. For - count em - 10 years, I thought my old-as-crap first saddle was 17.5". That's what it SAYS, and I had no reason to doubt it. Upon actual measurement it's 17", possibly closer to 16.5" than anything. Didn't discover that until 10 years later when I had the measuring tape out for another saddle and thought "hey, why don't I measure Old-As-Crap Saddle just for fun?" I wouldn't describe myself as the world's foremost expert on all things horsey, but I'm no idiot either.

It's also highly possible the seller measured incorrectly... happens all the time.

Have you contacted the seller of this saddle to see what they have to say? I'd stay away from being confrontational or you're likely to get an equally confrontational response, and that will just anger both of you.

Frankly, it's very difficult to measure a saddle accurately to within a half inch.
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

I have purchased all my saddles on the internet out of necessity , mostly on ebay. Have the seller send a photo with the tape measure actually on- so you can see HOW they measure it. Best a metal one rather than sewing type measures, which stretch. It is always a crap shoot since you don't get to sit in it first. Some , but very few, will agree to take it back if it doesn't fit.
    It is important to do your homework first on brands, using manufacturers web sites for information about the specifications, sizing, tree types and sizes. But I do have one notoriously misrepresented saddle!

Quote Originally Posted by lightlee View Post
    I can't believe how people can mispresent the facts.

Please don't anyone post a comment stating that perhsps the seller didn't know the actual seat size. I reallly don't know see how a knowledgeable horse person could own a saddle for several years and not know what size it it.

Well aren't you precious.

Seat size measurements aren't all that precise. Knowledgeable horse people *cough* know to ask for a photo showing how the seller measured the used saddle they're thinking of buying online.

Western saddles are much easier to measure than English. Also the serial number on the saddle states the size. My bad for not checking on that.

This particular brand of Western saddle has a serial number that clearly states the seat size. Of course, my bad for not checking this. I realize that most English saddle do not have this information printed within the serial number. (Or it is not a least as readily available) Pictures of measuring tapes on a Western saddle saddle can be very deceiving as to actual size depending on how you hold the measuring tape. Less varation on the English saddle.

I actually did email the seller. I told them the unfortunately the saddle was too big for me and and asked if she could forward me her waiting list of people that wanted to purchase the saddle. I have not heard anything back for her.

I don't see the big deal with half an inch...I've also read plenty of ads where they say the saddle as marked as one size, but fits more like X size, so I wouldn't write the seller off as an idiot. I always ask all the questions I'd possibly have before purchasing over ebay. I want to put myself in the best position possible. I finally purchased my first saddler over ebay recently and was very pleased with the transaction.

If you truly feel you were screwed and the seller isn't willing to work with you, you can contact eBay and Paypal.
    "Last time I picked your feet, you broke my toe!"

I'll have to ride in the saddle again and determine if I want to sell it. If I do decide to sell it however, I will advertise as the manufactures stated seat size.

You could always put a seat saver on it to fill in that extra half inch...there is even a contraption to put on the cantle specifically designed to "reduce" the seat size.

I have three English saddles and I don't think any of them measure the same as they are marked. All are clearly marked, too.

Buy yourself some bucking rolls or get yourself a seat saver.

Half an inch really doesn't make that much difference. In fact, most European saddle makers don't measure theirs out to the half an inch - they go in one inch increments, such as 17", 18", etc. (like Prestige).

That said, if you really and truly feel that this saddle was misrepresented, put in a dispute asap. You have the seller's original emails and the auction listing description - take a picture of the stamped seat size and email it to the seller. If the seller doesn't get back to you within 2-3 days, email one more time letting him/her know you are concerned with the lack of correspondence and that if you don't hear from him/her within 2-3 days, you will be forced to lodge a complaint with Ebay/PayPal. If you paid by credit card, you're even luckier as your CC will refund the money if you have the proof that the item was truly misrepresented.

That said, I got an incredible deal on an Amerigo Pinerolo monoflap saddle. Seller said it was 17.5". It was 17", even marked as a 17". It fit me, but was a touch snug. I informed seller, she said that it was sold to her as a 17.5" and that she was very sorry and would take it back. I ended up keeping it, but as it didn't fit my horse I sold it for twice what I paid for it. Yay for me :^).
    "Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

So, the Zen Buddhist says to the hotdog vendor, "Make me one with everything."

this is why i request that the seller photo the saddle with a yardstick balanced on it, or a tape measure pulled, and why i do the same when i sell one.
    * trying hard to be the person that my horses think i am

The procedure for measuring an English saddle with a tape measure it more standard than a Western saddle, IMO. For Western saddles a 16 inch seat is the most common and popular size seat. It think some people who are trying to sell an odd size saddle will advertise it as a 16 inch because that is the most popular size. If they advertised them as the "true" or manufactured stated size they would not have a great a response to their ad. The point I am trying to make is that if you are buying a Western saddle you don't a photo of the seat being measured to confirm the size. All you need is the manufacturers serial number. A photo of the seat with a measuring tape stretched out can be very misleading (on a Western saddle). If you are purchasing an English saddle, in my experience, the only way to verify the seat size is with the tape measure. It seems like the serial number on English saddles are not very useful for confirming the seat size, tree width or the date of manufacture.

I'll admit in this situation I did not do my due diligence. The seller had done extensive showing in the quarter horse circle so I relied on her representation that the seat was 16 inches. Next time I will get the serial number and confirm with the manufacturer (as I have done in the past) before purchasing. I did talk to her and she denied any knowledge of the correct seat size. Somehow I figured out the correct seat size in less than a day so I don't understand how she didn't know it after owning it for over 2 years. Anyway, other than the seat size, the saddle is nice. I will continue to ride until I can purchase another saddle in my correct size, and then sell this one.

Half an inch doesn't make that much of a difference??? Especially in a WP type saddle.

I recently sold an old Crosby PDN via tack trader. I measured the saddle several times and concluded that it was a 16 inch. When the buyer received the saddle she emailed me back saying "I just measured and this saddle isn't a 16 inch, it's a 16.5" She ended up keeping the saddle. But my point is that sometimes just a slight difference in where the measuring tape is placed causes a big difference in seat size.