The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Jointed Stirrups Vs. Traditional - Update

I have been using jointed stirrups for many years but recently read a thread on here that indicated that GM doesn't approve of them because they are less stable. My leg sometimes slips forward on the landing side of a fence and I wonder if this might be some of the cause. It would make some sence if I'm landing on something that's not sufficiently stable.
    Any thoughts?

Update - I've been riding in traditional stirrups for two weeks now and while they do provide stability my knees are killing me. Last night I took a green horse to cross country school for the first time. Being green he didn't always go in a smooth straight line and today I'm paying for it. My knees feel like they want to fall off. Going back to the "cheater" stirrups immediately.
    Last edited by Hony; Jul. 29, 2010 at 05:43 PM.

I was using the jointed stirrups until I sold my saddle and started riding in someone else's who had traditional ones. I couldnt pin point why suddenly I felt stronger over fences, when doing two point, etc. I tried riding in the jointed stirrups again a month or so later and knew right then it was the stirrups. No support, no stabilization. Im back to traditional stirrups and never looking back!
    "to each his own..."

just a horse obsessed girl who finds blogging way more fun than being an adult...
    http://equinerainman274.wordpress.com/

Good to know. I love hearing other people's experiences. I'm going to try jumping in them tomorrow.

I've been riding in Herm Sprenger bow balance stirrups, and they seem to lessen the stress on my knees and ankles (I'm 38, so I am trying to do everything I can to extend my remaining riding years). But perhaps I should try traditional for a few weeks and see how they feel.

As a semi-professional stand in your stirrups rider, I tried the jointed - and it just made my issue worse. So, my cheat is a pair of offset regular stirrups - at almost 55 my ankles lack the necessary flexability to "fish" for my stirrups.
    And nothing bad happened!

I used to ride in jointed, but started to notice that my leg was a bit less stable as the fences went up. At first I attributed it to fence height.

I was reading PH and, of course, GM was ranting about the jointed irons.

In an effort to debunk his theory, I went back to regular irons for a ride.

Yeah...my leg was instantly better.

I do switch out to my jointed stirrups when I go for lengthy trail rides to help my knees and ankles, but I will happily stay in my plain old irons over fences.

I just tried them out a few months ago for the first time at my trainer's suggestion. One of my youngsters, I can't figure out how he does it, but he somehow twists his body in a strange way, that causes my knee (long since gone to he11 anyhow) to jamb, sending sharp searing pain through my body. It's only about once every dozen rides. Sometimes it happened upon landing from a jump, sometimes cantering, sometimes trotting. Never happened on another horse ever, and still haven't quite figured out how the little devil managed it. But it hasn't happened since I switched stirrups, so I love em! I will admit though, I can see how they aren't as stable, but that is also what is saving my knee I think.

I have been riding in jointed irons for a couple of years and the reason I switched is because the regular irons would make my pinky toes go numb . I thought it was a coincidence but when I ride in my friend's saddle which has the traditional ones pinkies go numb. I too can see how they are a little unstable but I also like to feel all my toes

I changed the stirrups on my saddle from the Sprenger flexibles back to the traditional Fillis ones. The trainer really prefers the stability of the traditional ones and I think it helps keep her leg in a better position.

I have flexible royal riders and love them. However, I believe that the best compromise for someone who needs a jointed stirrup (for me, it's my knees that needs the flexible stirrups) but doesn't want to sacrifice too much stability, you need to find a stirrup with a tighter bend. Anything too flexible or too loose exacerbates the problem. I personally feel the royal rider's wide footbed also helps with the stability issues.
    ...for there are wings on these hooves, the speed and power of foam-capped waves...
    *~v~*~v~*~v~*~v~*~v~*~v~*~v~*
    Proud member of the artists clique

I ride in the Sprengers b/c they are much kinder to my knees...I had so many aches in the traditional ones, but once I switched, I don't have to "snap crackle and pop" everything back in place when I get off the horse... ugh... I love getting older...*sigh*

Horsing Around Guest

I ride in Sprengers and can't remember when I haven't! My leg does often slip back but I haven't given much thought to it.... Maybe it's time for me to experiment!

CleverCrows Guest

I'm a fan of offset and regular, non-jointed irons. For the short month that I did try to use jointed stirrups, I found myself worrying about where my legs were placed all the time, although stability was not too much of an issue. (It's all psychological for me!)

...first post on COTH!

hunterjumpereq Guest

I have to ride in my Sprengers. Too much pain in my hips, knees and ankles if I don't!

I haven't had any issues with my leg position though.

I have always ridden in traditional stirrups, but on a whim I grabbed some jointed's because of the hype. OMG I couldn't stand them, they weren't even that flexible and I felt like my foot was going to slip out of the stirrups at any moment (not helped by the fact they were slightly narrow). I got off mid ride and switched back, just felt like my leg wasn't that stable.

Maybe when I get older I'll like them better, but right now I'm sticking with a traditional iron, lol.

Tried the jointed irons for one of my kids who has joint problems. Leg position went to hell so we went back to regular Fillis irons. The compromise that works for kiddo is double offset Fillis irons.
    Ridge Farm Inc.-full care retirement
    http://www.horseretirementfarm.com

After 50+ years of riding, my knees are starting to go. I have the HS 4-ways and they have helped tremendously.

If you already have a good, stable lower leg, I don't think jointed stirrups will make any difference. If you need further "work" on your lower leg, then yes, you might have issues. I think there's a reason you see so many professionals, who ride numerous horses a day, using them. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

I ain't a great rider over fences, but one thing I do have is a fabulous lower leg. The HS stirrups make no difference in my leg position at all.

I hate them. I have hyper mobile joints and you can imagine what happens in them.
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by Go Fish View Post
    If you already have a good, stable lower leg, I don't think jointed stirrups will make any difference. If you need further "work" on your lower leg, then yes, you might have issues. I think there's a reason you see so many professionals, who ride numerous horses a day, using them. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
    Yes!

Sometimes I like the stability of traditional irons, and I prefer them on my dressage saddle.

I'm also a foxhunter, and simply must have jointed stirrups on my hunt saddle. After several hours of running and jumping across the countryside, I can't barely even walk if I've ridden in regular irons.
    *Absolut Equestrian*

"The plural of anecdote is not fact...except in the horse industry"

I have ridden and shown my own horse in HS 4-way for about three years now. I also catch ride and hack client's horses in regular stirrups and haven't noticed a difference in my leg either way. I show eq. regularly, and if I were having lower leg troubles, my trainer would be letting me know.