The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Sales Websites?

I'm looking for a horse, and I have pretty much exhausted every single source I know of. I've had my trainer looking, done stuff through word of mouth, in tack stores, and on sites such as Dream Horse and Equine.com and such. I guess it is hard because I am working on a fairly limited budget (think four figures-low five figures, however I don't think this is too ridiculous a request as I do not expect to get anything too fancy thats going to win the A's for my budget), but I just can't seem to find what I am looking for. When I DO find something, the owners have not called or emailed me back. I understand if the horse is sold, but I would like to get a short follow-up email/call/message to inform me of the current status of x horse. (I know i'm not the only one!)

Regardless, the last option I am thinking of is barn websites that have a sales page. Or "sale barns". I was wondering if anyone knew of any in the NOVA/central MD area or really anywhere in the greater Washington area? Think 2-3 hours from Washington. I realize there are a lot of websites, but I know some are more obscure than others, and I was hoping to enlist some COTH magic to help me find some places to start looking.

Well, we have horses for sale, and know of many others that are not listed on-line. Let me know if I can help you out.
    I am assuming you have looked at VirginiaEquestrian.com and DianeCrump.com as well?
    Cherry Blossom Farm - Show & Field Hunters, Side Saddles

I'm assuming you've looked at Virginaequestrian as well.

Ummm one of our local barns, East Coast Equestrian center (Eastcoastsporthorses.com) its probably a little far for you, but she has some decent horses for sale. Word on the street is it's name your price with her as she really needs to down size so it might be worth it for you.

Yes, I have checked VAEQ. I will check DianeCrump, however, since we have not checked there. PMs sent.

We are about 4 hours from DC, we do always have nice hroses available

If you haven't yet, check bigeq.com!

I don't know what your criteria is exactly, but if you're willing to look on the younger side, you should google breeders in the area. I think that COTH also has a list by state of breeders, but I have misplaced the link.
    Ryu Equestrian & Facebook Page
    Sakura Hill Farm & Facebook Page
    Boarding, Training, Consignment Sales & Breeding
    Osteen & Gainesville, Florida.

Quote Originally Posted by Cava Pony View Post
    If you haven't yet, check bigeq.com!
    I think most of the horses on BigEQ are a little bit out of our price range for now- we are working on a fairly limited budget.

But thanks! I appreciate all your imput/suggestions everyone.

There's exchangehunterjumper.com too.
    I don't want to have to do anything I have to do PERFECT the first time!

Are you looking for a made horse? If not, I would definitely search the breeders' farms in the area, especially if you are looking on a budget, but still want quality.
    Ryu Equestrian & Facebook Page
    Sakura Hill Farm & Facebook Page
    Boarding, Training, Consignment Sales & Breeding
    Osteen & Gainesville, Florida.

I think bigeq.com has a variety of prices, if i'm not mistaken. It more like a general sales listing now, since they really don't have any criteria as to what kinds of horses you can post. I would take a look.
    On exchangehunterjumper.com, however, they have to verify that the horse is qualified enough/shows enough to be eligible for their listing... so those horses tend to be on the pricier side.

Thanks all.

jumperfan100 Guest

Default Sale Barns

Kevin babington LLC and Hess Equine LLC both have great reputations. Primarily jumpers. Easy to find on line videos so you can look before you need to talk to anyone. Hope this is helpful

Default barn

We specialize in ponies... but at the moment, have a pretty nice horse in the barn. Harrisonburg, VA

www.empirespower.com
    Windswept Stables-Specializing in Ponies
    Sales, Breaking,Training,Showing, Stud Service

Home of 2008 Sire of Year Reserve Champion
    Pony Hunter Breeding - Empires Power

www.EmpiresPower.com

I recommend that you contact Darlyn at Fairview Horse Center in Haymarket, VA. She frequently has some nice horses that are very reasonably priced; she is a breeder who posts here also. http://www.fairviewhorsecenter.com/

Also check www.warmbloods-for-sale.com

Finally, you might consider contacting Pat Limage at Mid Atlantic Hanoverian Breeders group. They circulate emails among members when someone is seeking a horse, listing the desired criteria. The MAHB website also has a breeder directory
    http://mahb.homestead.com/Directory.html

http://tdequinesales.blogspot.com

Reasonable prices, mostly want to see good competitive homes.

<waves> We have a few to look at, and actually one is up in your area.
    Signature Sporthorses
    www.signaturesporthorses.com

Please keep the query and suggestions general to comply with our advertising policies. We've removed a post.

Thanks!
    Mod 1

I wouldnt blow off bigeq.com entirely, i know it used to be high end. but the last time i was on it, yes there was alot of high end, but there were also alot of good 'local' types and some green prospects that were fairly priced in the everyday persons budget.
    Ive started using it a little bit because it seems to cut down on the tire kickers you get on eq.com and those crazy third party international scam artists..

Don't know what they currently have but I bought my mare from this small breeder in MD a couple of years ago and couldn't be happier with her: http://breezyrunfarm.com/
    False face must hide what the false heart doth know.
    -- William Shakespeare