The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Eventer turned dressage horse

I am looking at a horse who was evented to Intermediate level and has since been retired from jumping. His dressage scores were in the low 30's and some 40's. I am looking for a first dressage horse for myself to make the switch from h/j to dressage. He is quiet to ride and has some joint issues but has been managed well and is serviceably sound. Would this be a good horse to learn on?
    Mai Tai aka Tyler RIP March 1994-December 2011
    Grief is the price we pay for love- Gretchen Jackson
    "And here she comes. Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's ZENYATTA!"

Given the joint issues, I assume you're looking at it as a horse to learn on, not a horse to have for many years and really climb the levels with?

Those aren't the greatest dressage scores, so combined with the joint issues I wouldn't expect a world beater, but if you've never done dressage it's a horse who should definitely know enough for you to have a lot to learn. I'd say see how the horse fits in your budget, how you get along with the horse when you ride it, and figure out an "out" plan for when the joints get to be too much or you advance beyond what this horse can teach you. Can you afford to retire this horse kindly and buy a new horse? If you can handle all that and your test rides go well, I say go for it!

(I should say I'm biased, as my horse is a former eventer.)
    My horse is a dressage diva so I don't have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine
    If you have a fat gay horse that likes Parelli, you're really screwed

Are eventor dressage scores like the driven CDE dressage scores....where lower is better, rather than dressage where higher is better? If so those seem to be good scores.

40's are not good scores.

Quote Originally Posted by 49'er View Post
    Are eventor dressage scores like the driven CDE dressage scores....where lower is better, rather than dressage where higher is better? If so those seem to be good scores.
    Theoretically, yes. However, the scores tend to be better if you were to calculate their dressage show equivalent than the pair would have gotten in a regular dressage show. (So the 60-70% range calculated for this horse would be lower at a dressage show. But with those scores the horse can probably do the movements, just not with world beating movement.)

Wink

Eventing scores are penalty points, therefore a 30in eventing is equivalent to a 70 in dressage.

If these scores were earned at Intermediate Level eventing, I would consider him a good schoolmaster.
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

Keep in mind that at the higher levels of eventing, 30's and low 40's are indeed quite good scores for even the A-listers.

Those are good scores for an eventer, especially at a higher level. In eventing scoring, the percentage of your ride is subtracted from 100 and that gives you your penalty points (so if someone got a 67%, their eventing score would be a 33. Obviously in this method, the lower scores are better.

Eventers of that level tend to be the "been around the block" type. They have been to a fair amount of shows and had their fair share of experiences. If you are looking for a horse to teach you, I would say this opportunity sounds great! Just make sure he isn't one of those "quirky" eventers. Make sure to get in a couple of trial rides-- that should give you adequate information.

Here is an example of an intermediate level dressage test: http://www.useventing.com/resources/...ate_Test_B.pdf

The horse should be schooling movements above that level and probably knows his changes as well.

If you like him, definitely go for it! Good luck!

Those are good scores coming from a higher level eventer. This could be a nice opportunity for you!

Are you able to take him somewhere and try him, even for just a day? I would do that, to make sure he doesn't get overly excited when traveling (i.e. amped up from his eventing experience). You can invite the owner along if they're nervous about sending him off on his own, but just explain that you'd like to try him at a busy barn away from home to see how he handles it, and they should understand.

Also, if you've decided to move forward, vetting would be quite important due to his past career, known joint issues, and the fact that he's been retired from jumping for some reason (not just the joint issues maybe?). A thorough vet check will help, and hopefully the owner will be candid for the horse's sake, but you never know.

I think schoolmasters are wonderful.

I am hoping to bring him to my barn for a week trial. They have been on the up and up about his issues. I rode him and fell in love..What a good guy..That is what I need now for my own confidence in learning from him. If he already knows a lot of this stuff I can work on myself. A horse is not all used up if he can be comfy and still teach...Some say 16 is too old...but he got his experience and is sensible, or so it seems so far....I am starting at the bottom so it will be a while 'til I get to his limit..I am going to get a copy of their maintenance plan and show it to my vet so she can look at him with the known issues...He is in pretty good shape and is happy going around...
    Thanks guys...I do know that eventing dressage is a bit different then Classical but I am not looking to compete just am doing this for myself....

He sounds like a great fit for you based on what you said!

I intended to get myself a schoolmaster with the plan to pass it along to someone else who needed one eventually, and got my horse instead when we were just the right fit for each other. Sounds like this horse is the right fit for you, and 16 is definitely not old, especially for a schoolmaster - they can often go up to 30!

yes. they are great scores.
    Division winning scores often.

And don't be fooled--I actually score better at straight dressage shows rather than events. They often score quite rough at events.

I think the opportunity sounds great. Especially because he/she is most likely a great trail horse as well.

eventers are darn well broke.

and as an ex Intermediate level horse he should have:
    lengthen and extensions

all working
    medium
    collected gaits

all lateral work including 1/2 pass

and some working pirouette possibly with started or completed flying changes installed.
    http://kaboomeventing.com/
    http://kaboomeventing.blogspot.com/
    Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!

Adding: 16 is definitely not too old, especially with the owner offering his complete vet records! That'll help you make informed decisions about his ongoing care, if you end up taking him.

Good luck with the week trial. It's wonderful that you have that opportunity to really get to know him.

Thanks, I am so excited about him. I only have this fear because he was the first horse I looked at, am I crazy to get him or should I keep looking but why look a gift horse in the mouth!
    I am only worried about learning to ride with an open hip angle and a deep seat...Start all over again after all these years...
    There is a little history here..My horse got hurt about 3 years ago and it has been a rollercoaster since. he shook my confidence badly..he bolted from the block while I tried to mount, more then once..he is being retired for at least 1 year of turnout and maybe I can hopefully make him a trail horse, if not he will live out his days as a happy horse!
    Yet, I got on this guy and w-t-c inside and out and went on a trail ride and never once was fearful!
    Will keep you up dated.....
    I am not looking to show but if we do well enough maybe next spring I could do a little intro or training level..I am getting ahead of myself here....
    Can you tell I am excited!

Excitement about a horse, about riding, and about possibilities is one of THE biggest things you should experience when riding!

The more you post, the better this horse sounds for you! I believe sometimes the perfect match for us isn't the perfect horse, yet the one whose flaws are the ones acceptable for us. If he's as good for you as he sounds, I hope you get him and learn from him what feeling you want in future horses!

(Oh, and I stand corrected about the scores - looked at some intermediate eventing scores, and indeed - scores are much higher in those, so he was getting quite good scores as others said. )

Update....
    He is coming next Thursday. I am so excited..I am still looking at other horses just incase he doesn't work out but I am hopeful. I spoke with his owner at length and he is a pretty easy keeper and the only maintenance they do is the injections....nothing else so maybe I could add something to space out the injections or would that be foolish if they know this works?

Update #2...
    He is here and we rode today. He is wonderful. He makes me feel like I can ride again! He w-t-c for me no problem or attitude. My friend rode him and did counter canter and lengthen and collection work and he was fine with that..My trainer is going to get on him tomorrow...Wish us luck that he passes the modified PPE!

Good luck with the PPE! He sounds like he is going to be a lot of fun for you.

I'm so excited to hear that you were able to do the trial and that it is going well!

Good luck with the PPE! That would be a good time to ask your vet your question about the injections.

Maybe you guys could help me. His saddle has some wear marks, like the black is fading..Is there anything I can do to bring it back?