The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Owning a grey for the first time - Photo Added

Andre's '09 filly, Le'Sorna, is a grey and this will be my first experience owning this color from punkinhood on. My only experience with greys was a Lipizzaner mare and foal but they went to their new home shortly after baby was born.

I would never go seeking this color out but it just happened that's what she was.

Is it important to protect her now from sun to help prevent cancer later in life, or is it purely in the genes and cancer will happen with or without sun protection?
    Her mother and her grandmother are both greys and neither of them have any melanomas. Of course Andre is bay so he has none.

Figures that such a perfect little Arab baby is in the most undesirable color there is.

Edited to add picture:
    http://www.hphoofcare.com/Le'Sorna Khouruso.jpg
    Last edited by Auventera Two; Jul. 8, 2010 at 10:11 AM.

As an owner of 5 grays (over time), here's my advice:

1) teach your baby to love water and baths, now.
    2) buy a big container of Orvus.
    3) Enjoy!

Melanomas in horses aren't sun related, like they are in humans. Wear your sunscreen but don't bother trying to put it on your horse!

Buy stock in a shampoo company!

I showed a gray Arab back when I was in high school. It's not a color I ever wish to own! Quicksilver (I think they still make it) works great, and that old lady hair rinse stuff works well on tails.

Interesting about the melanomas, thanks for that information! I did think they were somehow related to sun exposure. Or at least that sun exposure could make it worse.

Trust me shakey, I have always said I never want to own a grey! LOL. But she's perfect in every other way and I couldn't pass up the opportunity to own her. So now I'm stuck with the color

A good horse is never a bad color, as the saying goes.

Don't worry about sunscreen, other than for yourself. Buy some of that Quik-Silver shampoo and get yourself a new curry comb.

Pictures??
    Click here before you buy.

Melanomas in horses is not related (well, mostly, more in a sec) to melanomas in humans. In humans, it's more or less caused by sun exposure (though I new a guy growing up who was always pasty white, never went in the sun without sunscreen, hats, long sleeves, etc, and died of a very nasty aggressive melanoma, so maybe there are other types not necessarily caused by sun).

In horses, the graying process systematically removes melanin from the hair's pigment, which is what causes the hairs to lighten and whiten. The melanin doesn't just go away, it starts concentrating in the skin. At some point, many grays will develop melanomas as a result.

In and of themselves, melanomas are not deadly, not like human melanoma. The issue with these is that they can start impairing life functions as they grow and multiply - breathing, elimination, internal organs, etc.

Most horses who develop melanomas end up dying of something entirely unrelated.

The "more in a sec" part was in reference to a study that was started some years ago, which I have lost track of, in looking more into the horse melanomas to see if anything could be found to help humans either survive or prevent them. I wish I knew what became of that study.

OH wow geeze. Thanks for that JB. Is there any hope this won't happen to her, given that melanomas don't appear to run in her family line?

I'll definitely get pictures up. She's been at a trainer's place for the last month and she'll be coming home in a week.

The damage to the skin that triggers melanoma in susceptible humans can be "only a little bit", as in JB's pasty white friend. Some skin is simply so very sensitive to UV damage that the DNA that sets off the melanoma is incredibly fragile. (oversimplified)

UV damages ALL of our skins (humans!), and it's UV damage to our DNA in the melanin-producing cells that sets off the tanning process. Or, in the case of some, the neoplastic process.

So that "healthy tan" means our DNA is getting bombarded with carcinogenic UV light, and that our bodies are coping the best they can. Wear your sunscreen and your hats! It seems that very dark-skinned folks (like me) who tan readily and never burn are somewhat protected, but that doesn't mean melanoma can't happen to any of us. It is a dreadful disease. I've seen it in black people, and in places where the sun never shines. Be sensible.
    Click here before you buy.

Melanomas can occur internally as well as externally, so it is entirely possible that her grey relatives do have them, they just are not visible. (Per a friend of mine who is an equine vet.)

Definitely post pictures when you have some! I LOVE arabian babies!!

I don't currently have any grays, but I do have 4 paints. Ivory is a good soap for regular baths with a little Quiksilver mixed in once in a while. Lots of conditioner as well. If you keep that coat well moisturized and healthy (good nutrition as well, but you know that) the hair will not stain as easily. Show Sheen (or equivelant) will also help keep her cleaner longer. Too many baths will dry her out fast! Hope that she doesn't want to be a chestnut like my old show pony! Some are pigs and some just aren't.

As far as melanoma, talk with your vet about her risk. Check under her tail and between her hind legs...all the usual places, often. Hopefully, you will be able to tell if its becoming an issue.
    Good luck with your new girl!!
    Just cause you move to Texas, doesn't mean you are a Texan. After all, if a cat puts her kittens in the oven, It doesn't make them Bisquits.

I will get some photos up as soon as I can. She's a fancy little squirt. She's all legs and should be fairly tall. She seems to have all the good traits of both mom and dad. She just turned 1 year and her first trailer ride was a total non-event. She walked right on and stood there eating her hay. You'd never know there was a horse in there and especially one who's never been on a trailer before. The trainer says that everybody who stops over has to love on the baby because she's so sweet. Those precious little Arab velvety teacup muzzles are heavenly Sweets still has that wonderfully soft muzzle and wants it up in your neck all the time. I hope Le'Sorna will be the same.

I knew the COTH'ship would have the melanomaa and grey info I needed, so thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by betsyk View Post
    As an owner of 5 grays (over time), here's my advice:

1) teach your baby to love water and baths, now.
    2) buy a big container of Orvus.
    3) Enjoy!

Melanomas in horses aren't sun related, like they are in humans. Wear your sunscreen but don't bother trying to put it on your horse!
    This.
    "Sometimes you just have to shut up and color."

Of course Andre is bay so he has none
    This is an incorrect assumption.

Melanomas are not as common in bays but they occur and are usually more aggressive than melanomas in grey horses.

Skip the shampoo and get used to grunge. It took me a couple of years to just give up.

Actually, it's not that bad. I don't know if it's his particular hair quality or not, but a damp sponge will remove a manure stain pretty easy.

I do worry about using a lot of spot cleaners and stuff on him. I don't want to load him up with chemicals and cause a melanoma. Heaven forbid.
    If I ever use "there" instead of "their" or "your" instead of you're" in the same post I've been kidnapped and am signaling for help.

I agree with SmartAlex, skip the shampoo. It'll get tiresome, not to mention while Quic Silver and other shampoos that are designed for greys are fairly good, they shouldn't be used very often (as in as often as a grey gets dirty) because I found they dried my geldings skin out. What was my best friend was Vetrolin Shine. His tail was beautiful and white and the dirt came off with some good elbow grease. Also, I used baby powder for more stubborn spot - if needed (winter), it worked quite well and wasn't harsh.
    You know you're a horse person when your mother, who has no grandchildren, gets cards addressed to Grandma, signed by the horses, cats, and dogs.

Greys are my specialty! The vet that did the PPE's said that melanomas are standard equipment in most greys, mostly they do not affect them and not to make that a deterrant if you otherwise love the horse. I went along with that and have not regretted it. It seems that from Europe, at least, there is a never ending supply of jumping horses that are grey.

Lilly was a white grey by the time she died. She had a pink nose, so I used sunscreen on it to keep it from burning.

They will get dirty- usually the night before you have something planned. In the winter, adding a neck cover to the turnout rug will help to keep the mud off.
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

Rubbing alcohol, though you don't want to overdo it as it IS drying, seems to work about as well as the fancy spot and stain removers and is a LOT cheaper. And the bath poufs you get at the dollar stores are great for scrubbing! Even with water alone, they do wonders!

Teach your baby not to mind having her head sprayed (gently!) with the hose--I wish someone had taught Dancer this! We're working on it!

Greys are NOT undesirable--they're NOBLE!! (This is what I keep telling myself!)

Kim
    I loff my Quarter horse clique

I kill threads dead!

I showed my grey arab in hunters for three years. There were days that I wanted to paint the rest of him brown and just go Neither him or anyone in his family have had cancer problems or anything, but he does get sunscreen on his little pink nose every day. One thing that worked amazingly was mixing rubbing alcohol and quic silver in a spray bottle and rubbing the stains away for shows and stuff. And I don't know what you're talking about, greys are adorable!!