The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Anyone had their horse react to Equi-spot?

Has anyone's horses reacted to Equi-spot?

I used it with no problems last year.

This year, I noticed the packaging was different but didn't think anything of it.

I put it on one of my horses and within 5 minutes he was scratching and throwing himself against the wall and rubbing himself wherever I had applied it.

I grabbed the hose and hosed him off for about 30 minutes and the reaction stopped and he seemed fine but wow, I'm trying to figure out what may have changed since last year?

Anyone else have a similar reaction to Equi-Spot?

I believe there have been several threads on this.

Mine did the same thing. Never used it again.

I have been using it for about 2 years, in summer religiously.

My guys don't like it, and sometimes cause a bit of a fuss, but then its over.

I use plastic gloves, and rub it in, that seems to bother them less. I don't think they like the feel of it dripping.

I use it for ticks.

go to the sticky above and look at thomas 1 secret receipe for fly repellent etc
    it does work for all types of flys etc
    and you would be donationing for a great cause so horse and humans can benefit

I have tried it a few years back and my mare kit ended up with horrible welts every where it was applied on the second application. My vet told me that she sees that happen a lot. I refuse to use it.
    Missouri Fox Trotters-To ride one is to own one

Standardbreds, so much more then a harness racing horse.

My TB mare had the exact same reaction last year with throwing herself against the wall and scratching like crazy, but my two geldings had no reaction.

I won't use it again on any of my horses because of the strong reaction my mare had.

Quote Originally Posted by Loves to ride View Post
    Has anyone's horses reacted to Equi-spot?

Anyone else have a similar reaction to Equi-Spot?
    no..and I have used it or freedom 45 religiously every two weeks in fly season for years...on everything from the 31 yo donkey to the Tbs and the CObs and ponies...and I use Wipe daily for faces and belly line ticks

Tamara in TN
    Production Acres,Pro A Welsh Cobs
    I am one of the last 210,000 remaining full time farmers in America.We feed the others.

Quote Originally Posted by mjmvet View Post
    Mine did the same thing. Never used it again.
    Yup. Here too.
    Tell a Gelding. Ask a Stallion. Discuss it with a Mare... Pray if it's a Pony!

I've used it on 2 horses, one who reacts to anything and another who reacts to nothing. They both had bald spots and welts. I'll never use it again.

Mine also fuss when I apply it, and have a few welts for a day. But it's the only product I've tried that really works for ticks (which are bad this year), so I have continued using it (haven't found one on my horses since starting the EquiSpot). It does seem to help with flies also. I feel the benefits outweigh the initial discomfort, especially for my pasture-kept horse. I have used the Freedom 45 spot-on, which didn't cause any reactions, but did not find it effective.

Cool

I use it also for ticks!

We did our barn (15 horses) and one had a reaction. I think it's horse specific- as in some horses react and some don't. I also did notice the new packaging this year and wonder if they changed the formula at all- it seemed to smell more orangy this year- less citronella.

Default Equi-Spot

I have used Equi-Spot for several years on a couple of different horses and have never had a reaction.

Even the big green headed horseflys will land but take off right away and the gnats and ticks have packed up and moved elsewhere. I love Equi-Spot and can ride anytime of the day or night without being bothered by flys, gnats, ticks, or mosquitos.

Quote Originally Posted by <3OTTB View Post
    I've used it on 2 horses, one who reacts to anything and another who reacts to nothing. They both had bald spots and welts. I'll never use it again.
    I used it on my (at the time) 3 and all of them developed the same thing, welts and bald spots, even though none of them usually have sensitive skin. I didn't use it again either.

1 reaction out of many horses/applications - interestingly, her 1/2 sister is fine

I use it on all my horses, other than the girl who reacted (welts, itching) Is really the only thing that really helps with the B-52s and, especially, ticks. My chestnut mare would probably go insane without it - she gets welts all over from the bugs and will run herself silly, if I can't get rid of the bugs.

We DID get guinea fowl this year - so might not need it!! (better be worth all that screaming!!)

Thumbs up just my 2 cents!

Since we humans can be allergic to pyrethrum I don't see why horses can't be either. It's a very common summertime allergen for us especially if we use flyspray when our skin pores are open on a very hot day. So the spot-ons are very concentrated. Try making sure you don't apply to your horse to any sweaty areas (pores open) or during a hot time of day. This is true for flyspray too. And try only on the hair-not the skin. I find mine stop fussing after about 10 mins and no harm is done. My dog & cats do this too btw. The pay off is worth the price to me!

I've seen adverse reactions.
    Fortunately, not on my stock.
    "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

...just settin' on the Group W bench.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghazzu View Post
    I've seen adverse reactions.
    Fortunately, not on my stock.
    I wonder if it has to do with being "overly clean"...I would not bathe a horse here (short of an injury hose or going to a new home), for cash money and no one ever is bothered by the stuff...

????

Tamara in TN
    Last edited by Tamara in TN; Jun. 6, 2010 at 02:18 PM.
    Production Acres,Pro A Welsh Cobs
    I am one of the last 210,000 remaining full time farmers in America.We feed the others.

Mine certainly weren't overly clean. They live out in the pasture and pretty much only get bathed before a show, and none of them were competing that year (one was too young, another has been retired for some time, the third is not a show horse).

It might have been the temperature, though. As I recall I did apply it at midday on a pretty warm day. They weren't obviously sweaty that I can recall but they may have been beginning to.

Regardless I live in the desert now so not enough bugs to warrant it.

I used the new packaging for the first time yesterday. I first hosed off my horse with just water because he was very sweaty. I put it on and didn't notice any reaction at all other than his usual dislike of having anything put on him. There is definitely a different smell with the new packaging. I have never had a horse have a reaction with the old packaging either. Checked on him today and there was no reaction to it so I guess it just depends on the horse.