The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

alterrageous Guest

Question Hunter trainers in SE MA/RI area...

I'm in the process of moving to Southern MA (RI border) and will be keeping my horses on my property. I'd love to find a hunter/eq trainer that is open to working with someone in this type of situation for haul-in lessons and to meet at shows. I would like a trainer that goes to the local 'A' shows as well as going up to VT or HITS, ect. I am a competent adult ammy who enjoys the horses in my backyard and am hoping for a good trainer to work with & is OK with this type of relationship. Feel free to PM me information. I'm very open to suggestions but I'd like to lesson frequently so someone less that 30min away is best. Thanks!

Kathy Haas Ogonoski at Rising Star Equestrian Center in Medway would fit that bill precisely! PM me if you'd like more information The website is risingstarequestriancenter.com
    Nine out of ten times, you'll get it wrong...but it's that tenth time that you get it right that makes all the difference.

I was researching barns in this area as well a few years ago. Definitely look into Grazing Fields Farm; could be just what you're looking for.

http://www.grazingfields.com/home.html

Quote Originally Posted by flopsaut View Post
    I was researching barns in this area as well a few years ago. Definitely look into Grazing Fields Farm; could be just what you're looking for.

http://www.grazingfields.com/home.html
    Grazing Fields ROCKS but they are at the bottom of the Bourne Bridge more or less, so more than 30 minutes from what one would normally consider SE MA. That's more the south shore/cape area. But it does depend on where she's moving to!
    Nine out of ten times, you'll get it wrong...but it's that tenth time that you get it right that makes all the difference.

alterrageous Guest

Cool

I'd say more towards the Providence, RI area but actually in MA, as opposed to the 'South Shore' area...thanks for the leads

Quote Originally Posted by Punkie View Post
    Kathy Haas Ogonoski at Rising Star Equestrian Center in Medway would fit that bill precisely! PM me if you'd like more information The website is risingstarequestriancenter.com
    Location is wrong, I think. I think Kathy is farther away than the OP wants.
    Save a life...be an organ donor! Visit www.Transplantbuddies.org

Quote Originally Posted by alterrageous View Post
    I'd say more towards the Providence, RI area but actually in MA, as opposed to the 'South Shore' area...thanks for the leads
    Mark deBlasio at heritage...is he in Rehoboth (location would fit the bill) Mapquest the Tiverton and Portsmout areas.....John Blair in tiverton and Jay Sargent in Portsmouth. May be a bit further than youw ant (40-45 minutes).

Mark's in East Greenwich, RI, but Dawn Dorrance is in Rehoboth, MA, not far from Provi.

Quote Originally Posted by heartinrye View Post
    Mark's in East Greenwich, RI, but Dawn Dorrance is in Rehoboth, MA, not far from Provi.
    Dawn would be a good choice! Where is Jill Weinstein these days? If she is in the OP's area, she would be a good choice also.

alterrageous Guest

Thanks for the leads...glad I have a few names to look into

Default Ocean Echo

DEFINITLY recommend Jennifer Hannan.
    Gorgeous facility, amazing trainer, very easy to work with. has very few boarders, lots of ship-ins. Does bigger A shows, Including WEF.

Quote Originally Posted by Silk View Post
    Dawn would be a good choice! Where is Jill Weinstein these days? If she is in the OP's area, she would be a good choice also.
    Jill is at Blue Ride Stables in Attleboro. Shachine Belle is in RI now too, isn't she?

Shachine Belle is also at Heritage, the same place as Mark Deblasio (sp). There are several good choices in the area, have fun looking!

Whitney Hollinger might be a good choice for you. She is based out of Black Horse Farm in Warren, RI very close to the Massachusetts line (minutes from route 195). She's very talented, does the better local shows, the A's, Vermont, etc. and is really, really good with competent adults who don't need a micromanaged program. (This I know from experience...)

PM me if you want more information or a contact number. Good luck in your search!
    Last edited by silversnaffle; Jul. 12, 2010 at 09:23 PM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by Punkie View Post

You beat me to it!
    "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

...just settin' on the Group W bench.

alterrageous Guest

For those without websites (or info easily found via google) can you PM me the contact info? I'm excited about the prospects, looks like a good selection of trainer's that work with ship-ins Oddly enough, I haven't recieved a single negative PM...there must be trainers to steer clear of & those that might not be able to handle the somewhat 'independent' AA (which is completely understandable - some trainers want you to be in their 'program' & that's fine). If they are good at bringing along the youngsters, then that's a big plus...

I don't know all of these trainers well, but I've heard good things about all of them. I suspect most of them would be okay with ship ins too, most of the ones named seem pretty down to earth to me seeing them around at shows.