The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 37 12311 ... LastLast

Default Parelli does it again?

Doesn't sound good. Poor horse.

Did anyone ever post a video?? I wasn't about to wade through 27 pages to find it.

P.

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

I skimmed through about pg 25....didn't see any links or comments about a video.

WHY do all these supposedly top riders buy into this bs???

One of the members described it in a lot of detail - sounds awful.
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

oh no...

http://shareparelli.com/node/7539

At least they are now starting damage control BEFORE the videos hit the internet.

Yikes...I was witness to something very similar to this in WY on a mare that was very cinch sour.

I would bet that this stallion through time- could be taught to accept the bridle nicely with clicker training.

I'm really tired of the Parelli's and their "horse training."

1 members found this post helpful.

Oh......

Is this what they are doing to blow our friends from across the Pond, socks off?

FMO:OMG I almost put my eye out hunting clique.

What the he%$ is wrong with these people? You know how I taught my OTTB to put a bridle on when he was 100% against it? I gave him a friggin sugar cube!!! It took five minutes per day for a week. It's been a year and a half and he still puts his bridle on like a champ without a treat. When will they go out of business?

Try peeps. Works for us. $1.59 a box of 15 if you don't get them on clearance.

And I give you this advice FOR FREE.
    www.specialhorses.org
    a 501(c)3 organization helping 501(c)3 equine rescues

*headdesk**headdesk**headdesk**headdesk*
    the "I'm In My 20's and Hope to Be a Good Rider Someday" clique

Quote Originally Posted by DressageGeek "Ribbon Ho" View Post
    Try peeps. Works for us. $1.59 a box of 15 if you don't get them on clearance.

Or Fruit Rollups wrapped around the bit
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Somebody send these bozos a copy of Xenophon's "On Equitation." He knew how to train a horse to accept the bridle 2300 years ago. I use his method today. It works. It works well. It can easily be combined with treats or other methods to deal with a problem horse.

Of course how do you charge for stuff that's been public domain for two millenia???

G.

P.S. Maybe the alleged "top riders" are really not so "top"?

F****** idiots. I wonder if anyone bothered to, you know, CHECK the horses EARS for, I don't know, AURAL PLAQUES or SARCOIDS. Or maybe check his mouth for cracked/infected/impacted teeth or even like xray his head to check for injuries... Nooooo, we just go straight to "he's misbehaving so let's have Pat Pepperoni beat the shit out of him"

They should NOT be doing this to a stallion. You know what happens when you try to do things by force with stallions and you frighten them and beat them? Eventually they get fed the **** up and they say NO. NO SIR, I am NOT going to do that and you will NOT beat me anymore. and someone gets hurt or killed.

I never thought I'd have to go as far as to say Pepperoni shouldn't handle stallions (after all, it's not THAT difficult, you just have to know what you're doing)
    Michael: Seems the people who burned me want me for a job.
    Sam: A job? Does it pay?
    Michael: Nah, it's more of a "we'll kill you if you don't do it" type of thing.
    Sam: Oh. I've never liked those.

Wait, the horse has a bridling issue and Parelli put a gum line on him AND tied a leg up??
    W

T

F.

OK parellites, if this really happened, how is this ok? Especially when you read this on the Parelli website:
    EAR SHY? By Pat Parelli
    Can you touch your husband's ears? What about your best friend's, your child's or your mother's?
    If you couldn't then there's probably something wrong with the relationship! This is how I want you to think of your horse's so-called 'problem'. If he doesn't like his ears to be touched its because deep down inside, he does not trust you. There is a flaw in your relationship.
    When I talk about the solution here I am going to give you the natural approach, the one that consider's the horse's point of view. To effect a 'cure' you have to gain his trust and permission. The normal way is often to force the horse to accept it, twitch him, tie him, throw him…. In my mind (and in the horse's I'm sure) this is akin to rape and I won't use it.
    So to do it with the horse's permission may seem to take a little time, technique and knowledge, but if you do it right you won't have to do it over
    If the video comes out and really shows a horse being twitched and tied for over an hour, and getting loose and backing into jumps...

I can't believe there are still followers after the "wiggle wiggle THUMP!" mess. I can't believe there were ever followers though.
    Please don't try to be a voice of reason. It's way more fun to spin things out of control. #BecauseCOTH - showhorsegallery

just in case they go back and edit, here is their defense blog post:

Parelli International Events

Royal Festival of The Horse Stoneleigh Park

July 9th - 11th 2010

Your chance to see

Pat and Linda

Live in the UK

Challenging horse lived up to its billing tonight
    Posted Fri, 07/09/2010 - 23:33 by elizabethandriot

Our challenging horse lived up to its billing tonight at the Royal Featival of The Horse demo. Catwalk, an extremely Left-Brain stallion showed us his wonderful spirit and demonstrated that his unwillingness to bridle hasn't been created during the 8 weeks that Robert Whitaker has owned him but is clearly due to many years of fear of being bridled due to the lack of a basic foundation training.

We ran 45 minutes over and a couple of folks were upset at what they think they saw, saying they may post on YouTube. We all have nothing to worry about except misunderstanding. Pat stopped at an appropriate time in the training process when he saw a breakthrough and preserved Catwalk's dignity, which is more important than getting the bridle on tonight.

Tomorrow morning we meet again with Robert to continue Catwalk's foundation training to enable him to begin to trust humans.

We'll keep you posted on Catwalk's progress over the next few weeks which will help those that don't understand see the fruits of passive persistence.
    Here is what poster elsbells says she saw:

Quote Originally Posted by H&H poster elsbells
    This will be brief as it would go on and on and others will be able to fill in the gaps I hope?

It all started well and the savvy riders were great, then Pat was introduced and he gave what I would expect to be the same talk on the princibles. Then Robert came in and gave a rough outline on his recently owned 7 year old jumping stallion Catwalk, and the fact that it was almost impossible to bridle him. Robert was not willing however to show us just how he did, but did though mention that he couldn't do it in a nice way.

Then the bay stallion was brought in, he was stunning and so well behaved cosidering the atmosphere and no doubt, his feeling of isolation from the other horses waiting outside.

It started well and Pat continued his talk as he led the stallion around the areana on a long rope. He talked of relationships, perceptions and of course the principles of love, language and leadership. Then he pulled it's head down as his is the Parrelli thing I guess? He then tried to touch Catwalks head and ears unsuccessfuly I might add and so became a little more forceful in his approach and asked to be brought in a saddle pad which he then slid up and down a distrssed Catwalks neck and over his face. This went on for a while and then he asked for music. The room went silent, all viewers went dumb as they watched him use a gum line as a twitch and a 22ft rope wrapped around the fetlock to the knee to haul Catwalks leg off the floor to render him unable to move while he tried to force the bride onto a now very distressed and frightened horses face!!

Catwalk hopped away and went down on his remaining knee and backed into the jump and the fence rails. Linda who'd had her face in hr hands up to this point, then raced around from her chair at the side of the areana and joined him in the fight, pulling at the rope while Pat continued to force on the bridle. The distressed horse managed to break away momentairily and run for the exit and safety. They caught him and started the whole process again where the horse stood.

I have to confess that at this point, we were unable to watch any more and had to walk out.

Somebody send these bozos a copy of Xenophon's "On Equitation."

or at the very least tell them about the old proverb "tell a gelding, show a stallion, and discuss it with a mare."

Quote Originally Posted by Grataan View Post
    They should NOT be doing this to a stallion. You know what happens when you try to do things by force with stallions and you frighten them and beat them? Eventually they get fed the **** up and they say NO. NO SIR, I am NOT going to do that and you will NOT beat me anymore. and someone gets hurt or killed.
    I was wondering how this will end up if he is going to continue to work with the stallion...

Guess they were passing out the kool-aid to their loyal followers. How could a rational, thinking person feel that "training" in this way is acceptable?

Parellis are ideal shysters for the equine enthusiasts out there who are lot more enthusiastic, impressionable than they are intelligent and mature.

Seriously not meant as an insult...but Parelli caters to the Noble Steed Speshul Horsie Can't Be Wonderfuller owner that wants the ideal lovey-dovey relationship over a useful, enjoyable riding and handling horse.

And that isn't meant to say that those who can actually ride and handle simple problems (like bridling for heaven's sake!) without some moron with a carrot stick don't adore their horses just as much as the Carrot Stick Buyers do. They're just a hella lot more practical and horseman rather than My Pretty Pony about it.

Of *course* their followers are going to be gushing that nobody understands or sees but their messiahs and themselves. It's brillaint Barnum and Bailey marketing like the Parellis do that ensures their followers behave a lot more like minions. Not capable of having an independent thought of their own and rushing to the defense of the indefensable done by their demi-god.

Sad for some of the horses...at least most aren't even ever ridden though. But do have to say Parelli has it all over PT Barnum when it comes to weeding out the capable and catering to the romantic misguided impressionable fools.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

O.M.G. and W.T.F. This is ten thousand times worse than the wiggle wiggle thunk episode. That poor horse. If nothing else, it seems to me that this display of non-horsemanship will make the British folks shake their heads in disgust and refuse to drink the freakin' 'kookaid' beverage.
    sigh.....
    Jeanie
    RIP Sasha, best dog ever, pictured shortly before she died, Death either by euthanasia or natural causes is only the end of the animal inhabiting its body; I believe the spirit lives on.

I wonder how much $$ Robert Whitaker got for that. Douchebags, all of them.
    EDDIE WOULD GO