The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Tipperary Helmet fit?

My head just doesn't fit in Troxel helmets - they sit snug front and back, but loose on the sides. Someone recommended Tipperary might fit my head shape. I would like to order one, but based on the reviews at SmartPak, I can't figure out if they run large or true to size. Any input? My head measures 21 1/2 inches.

Thanks for your input!
    Heather

"My Barn, My Rules"

YES. I had the same issue, and found the Tipperary sportage - works like a charm. I liked the Troxels, but the Tipperary is just far more comfortable for my head.

I took the larger (medium) Tipperary because I pad heavily in winter, I just swop out the cushions.
    www.specialhorses.org
    a 501(c)3 organization helping 501(c)3 equine rescues

So you think I should go with the small? I am way down south in 105 heat index land, and don't need to layer - LOL!
    Heather

"My Barn, My Rules"

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by Helyro View Post
    So you think I should go with the small? I am way down south in 105 heat index land, and don't need to layer - LOL!
    I think you should try one on, but barring that, consider the Ovation Protege instead. It's basically a knockoff of the Tipp Sportage, but it's got a dial fit mechanism in the back too. And it's a cheap experiment at $36 retail.

I am a great fit in the Tipp and the Ovation Protege fit me very nicely as well. The next time I need a helmet, I will probably switch to the Ovation.

I wear a pretty small size with my Charles Owen, but with the Tipperary I needed a medium.
    -Debbie / NH

My Blog: http://deborahsulli.blogspot.com/

you know... today is a great day to buy a new helmet too!!! Its national helmet awareness day!! check out my blog for where you can find great tackshops in your area participating in the Day, or the online vendors as well like SmartPak!!!

(link in signature)
    http://dressageesquire.blogspot.com
    "The ability to write a check for attire should not be confused with expertise. Proficiency doesn't arrive shrink-wrapped from UPS and placed on your doorstep."

I love my Tipperary helmet. I wear a long oval in regular helmets and it seems like my Charles Owen is a 7 1/8 or 7 1/4 and I only needed a medium in the Tipperary. They wrap around your head and stay in place at any speed and over any terrian.
    Last edited by SLW; Jul. 10, 2010 at 01:20 PM. Reason: a

Quote Originally Posted by Helyro View Post
    My head just doesn't fit in Troxel helmets - they sit snug front and back, but loose on the sides. Someone recommended Tipperary might fit my head shape. I would like to order one, but based on the reviews at SmartPak, I can't figure out if they run large or true to size. Any input? My head measures 21 1/2 inches.

Thanks for your input!
    I had the same shape problem you have with the Troxels. I find that the Tipperary fits great but I can't use the fit pad at the back of the helmet.

As far as size goes... I'm inclined to think they run just a bit smaller due to the big pads at the back of the helmet. However, I'm kind of a melon-head, and I wore a large Troxel. Now I wear a large Tipperary (the largest size) but I can't use the fit pad at the back of the helmet, not even the thin one - if I do it makes the helmet too small. The helmet doesn't seem to be meant to be used without one of those pads (there are little velcro squares underneath them that will pull out your hair if you try) so I just cut up small squares of thin felt to cover them up and the helmet fits perfectly. Definitely try one on before you buy it, if you can, it will help you figure out which size you should use/what amount of padding you can stand.

I measure at 22" which is a L for the Tipperary helmet. Is L the correct size? I've read several things about the sizing not being right.

I have a HUGE head and its oval and the Tips fit me well (large without pads or xlarge with) but I do have to tweak the padding until I get them just right. I'm on my second one and love them. Same problem in Western hats--love stetsons but they dont fit my head, Resistols do.

I have the L Tipperary and wore a medium in International. When I bought my 1st one the woman in the tack store said they tend to run about 1 size smaller. My new Tipperary is also a L. The medium was too snug.