The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Keeping all of the doors and windows SHUT in the barn???

I delivered a mare the other day to her new home which is a brand new, well insulated, 12 stall barn, with windows in every stall, garage style access doors in 3 areas and a man door

It was about 105-100F outside and with the HumidX factor probably approaching 120-125F. It was disgustingly stinking hot ...

In the barn, it was probably about 70F. SO pleasant and not a fly in sight either

She brought her other horse inside as well for the day when we arrived and the 2 of them were happily munching hay, oblivious to the flies and horrible temperatures outside

I then thought about doing this with my barn as well as we have R20 insulation in the walls and R40 in the roof. Once it has cooled enough that the barn inside is cool as well and I can shut everything up

But ... here were my concerns

Would having MORE than a couple of horses in there raise the ambient temperature inside enough as the hours ticked by that within a few hours it would become as hot as outside?

As the temperatures climbed outside and the horses breathed and released condensation inside, would the windows and walls start to "sweat" because of the temperature variation and would you end up with condensation and possible mould issues inside?

Has anyone tried this with more than 2 horses in a 12 stall barn and how did it work?

I have to admit it was such a pleasure standing in there chatting in the cool and there wasnt one single fly to swat at as well ...

I've only seen cooler shut up barns if they're bank barns or block barns. Other than that I haven't seen insulation alone on a metal or wood building keep anything cool when shut up.
    Did she have some sort of circulating ventilation system?
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

Ventilation fans in the ceiling of the loft but I cant remember if I saw any extraction fans in the barn itself and if they were there, I cant remember hearing anything "on" at the time. And no - this wasnt a bank or block barn. It was a concrete poured foundation new barn with metal siding on the outside

The difference between outside and inside was incredible. It was literally like walking into a cooler ...

I know she's not a member here. I'll point out this thread to her and have her join

The windows on my barn happen to be double paned, insulated, vinyl - so the heat does not come through the windows. The barn faces south, so for example this sweltering week, I closed the front barn doors and the heat stays out (what I mean is the sun is not adding any heat on that side). When I go out the doors back outside it's like walking into an oven, but the aisle and stalls are very comfortable. I rarely close the stall windows in addition to the doors, it did not get that hot in the barn. I leave the windows open and let the breeze through them.

So, a different concept than what you have described, but definetly keeps the inside of the barn cooler than the outside. I have windows in the loft open and a ridge vent. No fans, no insulation, wood barn, the windows were not planned that way, but work great. It does feel warmer with the horses in probably because I leave the windows open, the breeze comes through, and the heat out on the south side. I'm only a 3 stall barn though. There is a tree shading the barn from the afternoon sun, so once the sun gets around to that side, I open the doors again.

My barn stays very cool in the summer. I, too, keep it pretty much closed up from the sun. My stalls have overhangs so the sun doesn't come in. The walls and ceilings are all insulated and drywalled and it has a 30ft. Clerestory down the center to dissipate heat. Also we are at 8000' so it's always cool at night. I open up the barn at night and close it during the day.
    Erica H. Max
    Fire Hjorner Farm
    Breeders and Importers of Danish Warmbloods

www.danishwarmblood.com

I was (very briefly, so didn't have a chance to ask the how's/why's) at a barn, dropping off a horse, that was a freestanding barn with 8 or 10 stalls, a horse in each. All windows were closed, the huge rolling doors at both ends were closed, and, as you said, cool as a cucumber inside. This was about 2-3 pm, close to 100 degrees outside, full sun overhead. I walked in and went WOW. If I think of it when I go back there I will ask about it, I do know the barn is fairly new.

Northeast Ohio, where mud rules your world...

...danskbreeder.....you suck.....should have moved to CO when I had the chance.
    ...don't sh** where you eat...

Winfield. I grew up in the Midwest and I never take our weather for granted. We always like visitors.

Erica
    Erica H. Max
    Fire Hjorner Farm
    Breeders and Importers of Danish Warmbloods

www.danishwarmblood.com

No condensaction doesn't build up if you have good roof/attic/hayloft ventilation.

This works if you have good all round insulation, and double paned windows. You also need wide overhangs to shad the windows and walls from the sun. If the barn is well ventilated, it will work, but keep the ventilation up high - hot air rises. Also, the more hot air you suck out, the more hot air will be sucked in from outside, somewhere, to replace it, so provide the insulation, use ceiling fans to move air around, and the ventilation should be ample, up high, but not necessarily motorized.
    Airborne? Oh. Yes, he can take a joke. Once. After that, the joke's on you.

My tack room is very well insulated, faces north, and has a concrete floor. I keep it shut tight and run a dehumidifier in there, and it generally FEELS much, much cooler than the outside air if it's hot and humid outside.

But I wouldn't really want to keep a horse in there, because (dehumidifier or not) it is pretty stuffy. Whenever the weather is cool and dry I open it up to get some fresh air in there.

My barn is open wide all the time, and is usually cool enough inside and free enough of flies that it is a good haven for the horses when the temps and bugs are awful. They don't need 70 degrees and no insects, just a little bit of a break.
    Click here before you buy.