The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Buyers vent

I don't like to vent, but I'm getting so frustrated. Looking for a horse. Nothing too fancy, have found quite a bit that I have liked in my price range. The problem? NO ONE emails/calls me back! Out of maybe 20 ads I have requested more info from or wanted to discuss coming out, I cam count on one hand the number of people who have actually responded back. I totally understand "he is no longer for sale, or we already found him a home" but PLEASE have the decency to at least send me a quick email telling me the situation?

...maybe I've had too much coffee.

You could be in my shoes. Recently sent a bank check for a pony. Seller says check went through the wash or misplaced. I searched my truck, through disgusting trash bags, spent hours looking for my receipt. I never found it. I spent 2 hours in the bank with them doing their best trying to find a needle in a haystack. They found it. They then had to call the main office to have it traced. Hmmmm seems seller cashed it exactly a week after I purchased it. I was ready to send them another check if my bank wasn't able to find out what happened. Thank God I didn't. Then they wanted me to find out what bank THEY deposited it into. HELLO???? Am I your freaking accountant now? Needless to say I will never buy from them again and have been putting the warning out. One half of the couple is a farrier. I for sure will NOT ever recommend him again. They're in TN.
    M

Try a follow up about a week to 10 days after your intitial inquiry using both phone call and e mail-if that's available. Restate your interest. And be sure you are giving them some time to get back. Middle of horse show season and family vacation time, it might be a couple of weeks.

You might want to say something like "Unless I hear from you by the first of next month, I will assume the horse has been sold or is no longer available and search elsewhere".

I think it's unlikely all 20 of these folks are careless and disorganized...just out of town. Patience and follow up. They get 2 contacts in a month and then let it go and move on.

In some ways the net has made this easier and in others, it's a little too casual. You used to place the ads when you knew you could "babysit" the phone. Now they can run for months.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Findeight has a point in that, some stables down here left for Upperville, went to Roanoak and then headed up the coast to the Hamptons, Placid, and God known where else. BUT- I'm just a small-time barn and do the reasonbly close shows, but I do have internet access on my cell phone. If I have a horse out there for sale, and I'm out of town, I do check my emails via the cell. I do feel it's not ral good customer relations to fail to respond. f it were me, I might just lose interest in that horse. There are a million out there.
    " It's about the horse, and that's it."
    George Morris

From personal experience, with both buying and selling horses, I find a phone call is the better way to go. Not only do you sound more interested (rather than the casual "curious-but-not-really-looking" type), you are also more likely to get a response. A lot of trainers have access to their phones more often than their emails, and tend to check voicemail more often than their inbox.

That's so frustrating. Agree to follow up with a call in a week. It is summer.

The only other thing I can think of, is that if there is something unusual in your response it might get pushed to the bottom of the list if there are a lot of inquiries (for example, if you are asking for a trial period, or asking to buy/ship sight unseen, stating your budget is lower than the price, etc.)

When selling, I always try to answer everyone, but when inundated with responses (full disclosure--that has happened to me on exactly 1 horse, where I had over 100 responses in one week my ad was up), I did end up getting back to the most promising ones first, and bumped the others as back-ups until the horse sold.

I went through that in the fall. I think sometimes your email goes to their spam and they don't realize it. IMO that happens more with AOL and hotmail accounts than with other email service providers.
    If they have a phone number follow-up with that. If not either email again or if you have multiple emails try emailing from another email account (just remember to check that email too)

if it makes you feel any better, it's not just sellers. i have a horse for sale, and have gotten numerous emails from people who sound rather interested, then just disappear, no 'thanks, but i don't think he'd work' or anything. one girl tried him 4 times, rode him really well, said she really liked him, said she'd call me by x day when she'd made up her mind either way, and? nothing. while i merely find it annoying, and have come to expect nothing better over the years, i couldn't bring myself to ever be that rude myself. oh well.......

Quote Originally Posted by Timex View Post
    if it makes you feel any better, it's not just sellers. i have a horse for sale, and have gotten numerous emails from people who sound rather interested, then just disappear, no 'thanks, but i don't think he'd work' or anything. one girl tried him 4 times, rode him really well, said she really liked him, said she'd call me by x day when she'd made up her mind either way, and? nothing. while i merely find it annoying, and have come to expect nothing better over the years, i couldn't bring myself to ever be that rude myself. oh well.......
    same with me. I am going crazy trying to sell. My mare is beyond cheap and I need her gone. Buyer email sound majorly interested then **poof** are gone. Some even don't even return calls.
    *^*^*^
    Himmlische Traumpferde
    "Wenn Du denkst es geht nicht mehr, kommt von irgendwo ein kleines Licht daher"

Quote Originally Posted by CHS View Post
    Needless to say I will never buy from them again and have been putting the warning out. One half of the couple is a farrier. I for sure will NOT ever recommend him again. They're in TN.
    do share by pm please

Tamara in TN
    Production Acres,Pro A Welsh Cobs
    I am one of the last 210,000 remaining full time farmers in America.We feed the others.

Thanks for all the feedback. I'm usually a fairly level headed person, I guess it WAS the coffee last night. Cant be good for me. A lot of these are horses I emailed/called about in early MAY. I think over a month is plenty of leeway to get a response back. I'm debating sending/calling for a follow up- is that something that would be okay?

Certainly it's ok to follow-up. You are a serious potential buyer. If they don't want inquiries they should either take the ads down or mark the horse sold. I don't care if the ads are up for months and it's hard to remember--the point is, if the seller wants to sell a horse promptly, they need to respond to inquiries promptly.

It's really quite strange how lackadaisical many sellers seem to be in a buyer's market. My trainer made the calls; we figured they'd pay attention to her as a serious prospect, but no, it was still pulling teeth except in the cases of professional barns. And even some of the pros required several follow-ups to get their attention focused. And these were horses in an expensive price range.

I totally agree that a buyer who tries the horse should give the seller a final yea or nay decision, or at least say, I'm going to keep looking for now. That's simple courtesy.

However, it's the seller who stands to lose a buyer, so it's more than courtesy, it's bad business to let inquiries slide.

If out of town, seller can leave an automated email reply or answering machine message saying they will be in contact as soon as possible about inquiries. Or saying the horse is sold.

I just bought a horse for a quite decent sum of money. There were several I wanted to try, but apparently the sellers weren't really interested in selling since they never replied to my trainer's inquiry. *shrug*

Absolutely follow up! As a buyer I always make repeat calls (what if the husband/kids deleted the message by accident, will they admit that?!). Sometimes my voice mail just isn't working (thank you Verizon) and messages cannot be left. I am always amazed at how often I have to call people who want to ask me about a horse for sale, when I am interested in buying-I do the calling. I have a very talented mare for sale right now and just like the other person, I get calls/emails from people who seem interested then they vanish-even if I do call them or email them back, I want to ask why the contacted me at all.

For some reason we now live in a society that thinks "rude is ok". At least email someone and say, "thanks but it isn't what I was looking for." Sorry, got on my soapbox but this is a HUGE pet peeve of mine.

I am sorry you are getting frustrated. As a seller, the only thing I can add is that I had 1 inquiry recently that got sent to my Spam folder. Luckily, I do check the folder and was able to respond promptly. But I do know some people just delete their spam contents without looking. Last year I also had 1 of the less frequented selling sites not forward an inquiry (or it got lost). A month later, I happend to notice that there was an inquiry listed on their site with that horse.

If there were any that you really thought might be what you are looking for, it might be a good idea to try 1 more time. I can also remember shopping and when I contacted the owner of 1 horse I later learned his wife had just passed away that month, so again, might be worth a second try just in case they weren't just bowing you off.

Good luck
    Epona Farm
    Irish Draughts and Irish Sport horses

Join us on Facebook

I think it is more of an overall societal situation. I have had a hard time contacting people on the buying and the selling end. And I have a friend who is job and apartment hunting, she also has a hard getting in touch with people.

For sure, the people who really want to sell/buy/rent/hire get back in touch pretty quickly. I've had potential buyers and sellers call me the same day. If I give them a call, leave a message, and follow up with an email the same day, and I don't hear back, then they probably aren't worth the time chasing.

Yeah they could be out of town. Or the current tenant could be not moved out yet, so they aren't ready to show the apartment yet, so bottom line maybe they put the ad in too early.

I have found in the past that a LOT of people are 'casually' horse shopping. And if I pursue them, they consider me 'pushy.' Few are looking to purchase a horse now. Many are on a 6 month - 2 year quest to find a horse/trainer/boarding barn/tenant/employee. And they are taking their time to 'find the right match.'

So it doesn't surprise me too much about the casual attitude towards responses. But I can't deny, there are farms near to me that have advertising everywhere about horses for sale and I have not once ever gotten a return call from them. And I am just left wondering, what is up with these folks ???

I am a pony hunter breeder. I check my emails many times daily and do a lot of business on email. I also have learned to check my spam folder daily. At times the word "stallion" triggers SPAM. LOL. I always have my lap top with me, even when we travel.

I respond to any inquiry about a pony or a breeding within a few hours. If anyone on here has asked me a question and not gotten an answer via email quickly I would love to know.

It is not good business not to be attentive to your customers. Not at all!!
    Sandy
    www.sugarbrook.com
    hunter/jumper ponies

Quote Originally Posted by Sugarbrook View Post
    At times the word "stallion" triggers SPAM. LOL.
    Heh, I'll admit I hadn't thought of that one.

It's pretty ironic that in this day and age when we are all supposed to be connected directly from our brain cells, somehow communication is apparently so difficult.

That goes both ways. I always have horses for sale and I cant tell you how many people email and ask questions or call and make appts and either dont have the courtesy to let me know they changed their mind, or just dont show up, etc etc. It is beyond frustrating!

OH YES!! That is very common. Always has been and always will be. Ask those who have been in this business for years!!
    Sandy
    www.sugarbrook.com
    hunter/jumper ponies

I'm ready to buy tomorrow if someone would actually email/call me back!
    But thanks got all your input guys.