The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default finally found a stallion, but...

So frustrated! I landed on Devon Heir after thinking I had finally decided to breed my 3 yr old Balta Czar mare to Idocus. He looks amazing, and I love his offspring. The others I was considering, were DaCaprio, and Rubinus or Rubignon.
    The problem is I have waited too long and Devon Heir is leaving to go and compete exactly when my mare was ready to breed. We've waited so long that even short cycling her would be chanc-ey. I guess we'll wait til next year. UGH. Now I'll be 61 when my foal turns 3!

Why not take the risk of short-cycling her?

Wink Hey

The now 61 is the new 41!!! I refuse to get old!

If I were you and needed fresh, I would contact Hilltop or Hassler Dressage and talk to them about one of their stallions. They are both fantastic to work with and can advise as to suitability. Ditto with Edgar at Rainbow Equus. Have you considered Pablo for her? He might be a very good match. He tends to produce leggy and they can move and jump. Regarding Rubignon, I am not sure he would add height but Edgar would be better positioned to advise.

Default Short time

If you were to short cycle or not, why not go back to your choice of Idocus? I have a son, love him...and really like his children too! Great warm character melded with good conformation, rideability and solid gaits. The other Idocus sons might be an option? Haven't checked their schedules for breeding...Opus, Olivier? And I agree, 61 is what age??? Chuckle. I have the same addition going on with my yearling Oberon filly!! Still riding my old Int.1 mare...and working two of the boys on some PSG work. It gets harder as I get older, but I just do a little less time..chuckle. Gotta love rideable smart horses.
    Let us know how you go....this year...or next!!! Then...the wait for the baby photos.
    Charmaine
    Apex Farms
    www.apexfarmsandappraisal.com

Idocus is a world class horse, one of my all-time favorites, but would not be my choice to refine and add height to a mare (as I think Springer seeks to do). Ditto Olivier - fantastic horse and bloodlines, but not to refine.

thanks guys... I forgot, also Wolkentanz II was a strong contender. We have one in our barn who is lovely- and a 10 mover.
    My vet thinks it might be a good idea to let her grow up for a year anyway-
    Now I can drive you guys crazy with my indecisive-ness til next May!

Schroeder (Sandro Hit x Escudo I) is available as long as it is not during the Young Horse Championships when we are gone July 19-26.

Farrington Keur (Wellington x Doruto) is always available and we go as late in the year as anyone wants for any of our stallions.
    Majestic Gaits-Dutch Warmbloods,#1 USEF Dressage Sporthorse Breeder. #1 KWPN-NA Jumpers.Standing Navarone,Schroeder,Dante MG.VDL Frozen. Approval KWPN Han OLD RPSI BWP Canadian SWANA sBs SF Holst

60, 61, eh, what's the diff

You have a PM.

I think you need to focus on what you are trying to produce, for whom (keep or sell, what market), what the mare brings to the equation, and what needs improvement. The stallions you have mentioned do not really have much in common. And as I said, I think your best bet is to consult with an experienced breeder that will be honest about their stallion's strengths and weaknesses. I don't have any idea how anyone can even make a recommendation without knowing anything about the mare or what your goals are for the baby.

I've found that the breeders with multiple stallions seem to think ANY of them would work. I'd rather have objective opinions on it.

Quote Originally Posted by springer View Post
    I've found that the breeders with multiple stallions seem to think ANY of them would work. I'd rather have objective opinions on it.
    Then you are talking to the wrong breeders or perhaps are not being sufficiently clear about your goals and what you are seeking to improve in your mare. Good stallion owners want to make the best matches possible for their horses because, if nothing else, nice offspring are good for business and mediocre ones are not. I can't imagine that anonymous posts by people who have not been given any information about your mare or what you are trying to produce provide more reliable input than that of the stallion owners. I know from personal experience that the stallion owners I recommended are candid about their stallions and do not say all of them suit the same mare.

I'm with YL on this: good reputable breeders will not just recommend their stallions to cross with any mare. At least, my experience has not been that way at all.

When I was looking for a stallion to cross with my mare, I met with many stallion owners/managers, including the Hasslers when they were at the Hilltop. I told them specifically what I wanted to accomplish as a rider, what my mare would bring (good and bad) to the equation, showed conformation pics to them, and then was shown all stallions that would cross well with her. I not only did this with the Hasslers, but with many other folks and learned a lot about my mare, bloodlines and how to tell the difference between a breeder trying to make a nice foal and one trying to make an easy buck.

If you are willing, there are some very educated and brilliant minds here on the SHB forum that would be willing to look at your mare's pics and bloodlines and make educated recommendations based upon those as well as the goals you have for you and the resulting foal.

De Laurentis is by the same sire as Devon Heir, and High Point Hanoverians is offering a late season special with no booking fee.

Well, I guess I should rephrase... the SOs I've spoken to ARE very reputable ones, but they ARE understandably a bit biased as most would like me to breed to THEIR stallions. But I am also basing my options on youtube videos of offspring from these various stallions. I find alot of them produce fabulous moving offspring BUT only from fabulous moving dressage mares. Or the stallions are producing more "hunter-y" offspring. Or the stallions are too big (my vet has recommended against that with my maiden)Or the stallions aren't avail. fresh. Or the stallions are not proven. One that keeps standing out with all of you guys is Wolkentanz II. I have not heard one single negative about him.
    Here is my mare, at 3 yrs- one more time!
    http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...4&l=eb1aaf31fd

Hi Springer

What's the dam line of your filly ?

Pretty girl BTW :-)

Quote Originally Posted by cottagefarm View Post
    Hi Springer

What's the dam line of your filly ?

Pretty girl BTW :-)
    Thank you- the pictures don't do her justice. She really is a stunner. She is out of a TB mare Gamely Dancer XX damsire Game Dancer. Northern Dancer on her sire side and Nasrullah on her dam's side

Hey Springer, you are still a spring chicken

I think movement is not going to be a guarantee no matter which stallion you pick, always some of that can be the mares influence. For her and you Wolkentanz II or Dacaprio may be excellent and both have great owners. Wolkentanz probably producing more knee action so less huntery...
    www.immunallusa.com
    www.rainbowequus.com Home of stallions that actually produced champion hunter, jumper and dressage offspring and now also champion eventers

One other thing you might try to give you a bit more info is to contact B'alta Czar's owners and tell them you have a daughter from a TB mare and give them your breeding goal and see if they have any suggestions. They are experienced breeders, have a toe in dressage as well as jumpers, and have seen a lot of his "kids" and may be able to give you some good suggestions.

Wolkentanz is lovely, but not small. Which is, like so many things, either a good thing or not, depending on what you are wanting.