The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default jump pole 'holders?'

I have lots of jump poles that just sit outside my arena (waiting on getting ready for bigger jumps).

I would love to 'hang' these off my arena fencing-

is there anything out there that does this or some clever way I could do this?

Kind of a hook that would go over the fence rail and the pole would lay on it?

Maybe pvc pipe hangers would work? Lowe's carries various sizes for holding or strapping 4" drain pipe. Even if it was a loop you could slide one end of the jump pole in and then the other.

What immediately popped into my head was setting posts next to existing posts with ladder rail type things made out of wood or metal so you could slip poles in like a slip-board fence. Kinda like having your jump poles as ladder rungs. That way if a horse were to get loose, they couldn't get hung on any kind of hanger, and since the poles would be between posts, not hanging off one side, the weight wouldn't pull on your existing fence.

What I've seen is pretty simple. On the outside of the arena fence they nail 2 boards (set some feet apart) coming out of the fence at an angle to the fence creating a V. Set the jump poles down into the V and it will hold quite a few depending on how deep you make the V. I wish I had pictures of this...sorry if that was super confusing!

Loops of baling twine (or fancier rope if you are so inclined)work just dandy!! That's what I did at our last farm where we did many horse shows and needed a lot of extra poles for the bigger jumps. It keeps your poles and ground neat and tidy and makes mowing/dragging a lot easier...and you know where to find the rails when you need them.
    www.crosscreeksporthorses.com
    Breeders of Painted Thoroughbreds and Uniquely Painted Irish Sport Horses in Northeast Oklahoma

Quote Originally Posted by SkipChange View Post
    What I've seen is pretty simple. On the outside of the arena fence they nail 2 boards (set some feet apart) coming out of the fence at an angle to the fence creating a V. Set the jump poles down into the V and it will hold quite a few depending on how deep you make the V. I wish I had pictures of this...sorry if that was super confusing!
    This is what i did
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

what size board? 2x4? something else?

PSJ, take a picture please!

We drilled a hole on the fence post (outside the ring) going in at an angle. We inserted a short length (maybe 15") of metal tubing (2" diameter) into the hole. 2 of those on adjacent posts form a little rack for your poles.

Stop in anytime if you'd like to see!

You can purchase hangers meant to go in a garage and hook on the top of the wall so you can hang a bicycle out of the way. Those might work for hanging rails from the boards on a fence but they would tend to add extra weight to the fence (when in use) and cause it to sag prematurely.
    Robin from Dancing Horse Hill
    Elmwood, Wisconsin

Quote Originally Posted by Jsalem View Post
    We drilled a hole on the fence post (outside the ring) going in at an angle. We inserted a short length (maybe 15") of metal tubing (2" diameter) into the hole. 2 of those on adjacent posts form a little rack for your poles.

Stop in anytime if you'd like to see!
    OH not that sounds even easier. I will have to stop by!

I went to JSalem's farm today and BEST IDEA EVER.

1 inch conduit pipe cute 18 inches long. Fence post drilled 2 inches deep and VOILA-pole holder!

I can get pipe in 10 foot sections at Lowe's and this is a VERY inexpensive EASY way to do things.

Thanks JSalem!

Quote Originally Posted by LMH View Post
    what size board? 2x4? something else?

PSJ, take a picture please!
    It was at my old barn on Union Hill. They are probably still there... place was for sale last time I checked.
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

I like the idea of the angled piece of wood attached to posts but couldn't figure out how to make it strong enough to hold the 25 or so I needed to store, so we built two big X's - like large bases for cavalettis, and place the poles in the top "v" portion of the x's spread 8 feet apart or so. It has worked great and looks tidy.

[quote=Jsalem;4970746]We drilled a hole on the fence post (outside the ring) going in at an angle. We inserted a short length (maybe 15") of metal tubing (2" diameter) into the hole. 2 of those on adjacent posts form a little rack for your poles.[quote]

My BO has hers stored like this, only when they built them they used wooden dowels and a lot of them have broken off . Metal is an excellent idea! But they work like a charm.
    Jonah 4:4: And the Lord said, "Do you do well to be angry?"

College football season is HERE!!!