The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thanks for all of the kind words. We are really bad about making dogs a part of the family. They go everywhere with us including scaring the carpool ladies. Gravy in two short weeks has fallen in line. As I go into my dark bedroom to climb in bed I sit on her head!! Of course, as soon as I start pushing her she pushes back like, "No really. I am fine right here."

My old blind dog is sleeping at my feet at this very moment. We faced that big decision this summer as the old dog was slowing down and his eyes are white. he runs into things in the yard and into chairs or things that get moved in the house. I couldn't do it as there was nothing telling me clearly enough that the time is now. I know he wil let me know but I don't want to wait too long either but it clearly hasn't come. Simon is like your Virginia....always there, always wants to be there and is happy to be here. I don't know how long that will last but animals have always taught me to listen to them...they will tell you when. One of my old labs who saw my girls through their childhood and into their 20's waited until the rare night that we were all home and the girls had come for an overnight. Gunnar had his dinner, snarfed some cinnimon toast from one girl then went to the family room where he laid down, had a heart attack and died. He was surrounded by the family that loved him so much. It was a shock but the best way for him. I sort of think Simon may have a similiar plan.

Great Update!! So glad you listened when she said "it wasn't time"!!! Cheers to your new pack.
    www.crosscreeksporthorses.com
    Breeders of Painted Thoroughbreds and Uniquely Painted Irish Sport Horses in Northeast Oklahoma

What a great update! I've been told that the dog will let you know when it's time to say good bye. I never understood that until that time came with my rottie Sam.

He had cushings and didn't respond well to the medications and we had toyed with the idea of sending him to the bridge. Due to a couple of different things and a medication change, we chose not to. He lasted another year and when it was time for him to pass on, it was very apparent. We think a spleen tumor he had ruptured and he went downhill very quickly. I am grateful I had that extra year with him but also glad that hard decision was fairly easy for us when it came.

You will know when it's time...I'm sure she will let you know she's ready to move on.

Default Well sweet Virginia passed on today

She finally told us in her way that it was time. No more cancelled calls. I had to drive her to the vet and he came out to the truck to do it. She was so calm and quiet. I hugged her face while he gave her the shot so she couldn't see anything and I just stroked her and told her what an awesome friend she was. She laid her head down and went to sleep. We buried her here so I can see her from the kitchen window. What an awesome gift she was for us.

(((Hugs)))

I am so sorry. I will admit, I'm crying big fat tears. I have a Virginia too. And I can only hope he'll be around long enough to meet my baby and finish the loop he started. He has always been good about it. Being the "good dog".

His muzzle is getting a little grey and I've spent thousands now, Lord knows.

But I want him to be there. Like Virginia in your videos.

Wow. What a thread.

I'm so very sorry for your loss. I feel it. More than I want to. I'll be in your shoes soon and I HATE IT for all of us.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

So sorry to hear of Virginia's passing. What a sweet dog. Loved the video! I am at work and was getting teary eyed until the picture of her with the wig. I laughed out loud. I also loved the picture of her and the kids playing in the puddle with them holding an umbrella.

Many Hugs and Godspeed Virginia!

My condolences. Godspeed Virginia.

Deepest sympathies on the loss of such a true friend. Definitely the kind of dog you look forward to seeing again, when the time comes. {{{{{hugs}}}}}
    ~Kryswyn~ Always look on the bright side of life, de doo, de doo de doo de doo
    Check out my Kryswyn JRTs on Facebook

"Life is merrier with a terrier!"

Many hugs to you and your family........she is up there watching over you all now.

Hugs for you and your family. Virginia was a wonderful member of your family and will surely be missed. What a great photo tribute at the beginning of this thread.

Hugs to you and your family.

Your story is good for me to hear as our critter pack includes a horse, cat and dog (33, 18, ~12 respectively).

Thanks for reminding me to enjoy what time we have remaining with these wonderful creatures
    "Never do anything that you have to explain twice to the paramedics."
    Courtesy my cousin Tim

Godspeed Virginia, your job here was well done.

Thank you all for the kind words. Today was a little bit easier. Grief is a difficult process. I had Virginia before I even had my girls. I always said Virginia was my first baby and she was. I really miss her.

I just watched your beautiful video tribute to Virginia. Okay, let me dry my eyes. I just wanted to tell you how sorry I am for you and your family’s loss. She was a great dog and a good friend. I know the pain all too well, just loss our cat Grayco last week. He’s been around for over 18 years. Our Virginia (real name Sparky) a golden retriever passed over two years ago. He was the best dog I ever had. On Christmas the kids (all grown now) sat around the tree, one of them began telling the Sparky stories. It brings a smile to my face just thinking about him. He left us with to most amazing memories, we’ll never forget him. Watching your video just brought back all them wonderful memories I have of that dog, all the good ones, the funny ones, and the times I thought I was gonna kill him. He’s buried out back in the pet cemetery. It does get easier, but you’ll never forget her ever. Virginia is with Sparky now in heaven chasing tennis balls no doubt. My heart felt condolences on your loss.

I loved the wig picture too, that was so funny. But my favorite was the beach pictures with the kids.