The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default RIP Virginia 02/20/2012

A week or so ago I asked for advice regarding our dog who was going to be put down due to old age. You all offered wonderful advice and it helped a lot in talking to my children. I went out the day before to start to dig Virginia's grave. It hurt so bad. My husband was home and let V out. She ran right to me and started jumping and playing at the dirt I was throwing. Everything about her life with us flashed in my mind. She was always there - a friend to me, a guardian for my children. She was family. And I couldn't do it. I called the vet at 4:59pm as they were closing and cancelled my appt. They said that is one appt they never mind cancelling.

I made a video of V when I thought she would no longer be with us. So for now she will stay and we will just manage her bouts of pain.

UPDATE - Well here we are over a year later and sweet Virginia is still snoring at my feet. She is much grayer and much slower but still here. I can't believe it. I told my husband we needed to start thinking about her co-pilot soon but that I could not handle a puppy right now. I told him I wanted a bit older settled dog. Sunday I took my girls to the park and there was the most gorgeous yellow lab running loose. We took her home and after a week of searching finally found her owners. By then my girls were really attached. Long story short the owner told me that the dog runs away every chance she gets and if we want her we can have her. So Gravy, yes Gravy, and Virginia, Salt and Pepper are snoring away. And Gravy hasn't tried to run away even once. Good days.

http://good-times.webshots.com/video...2183223bpMTBL? vhost=good-times
    Last edited by Weighaton; Feb. 20, 2012 at 10:31 PM. Reason: **

Wonderful dog and wonderful tribute! I'm from the "if they're still eating, they're still glad to be alive" school of thought. Especially with dogs!

Good on you and Virginia!

Cool Lovely tribute ~ to Virginia ~

A Wonderful tribute to Virginia ~ loved everything about it ~ hug that girl and kiss her on the top of the head for me ~~~ lovely, lovely video ~ thanks for sharing & and while it brought tears to my eyes = they were tears of happiness for your family and Virginia ~ so very lucky to be sharing your lives together ~ Enjoy your special girl !
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"

Another beautiful story to add to Virginia's life of love and caring. I am so happy you will have her a bit longer., your video is amazing and as one animal lover to another, you have given "Joy" to me by sharing. Thank you

I did the same thing with one of my horses -- even had the vet and backhoe out and I just couldn't do it. That horse lasted another year, until it was really clear that it was time.

Enjoy this precious extra time.

Good for you, your family and Virginia. You'll know when the time is right and Virginia's behavior showed it was not time, yet. You'll treasure this extra time. I did the same thing with my dog. The end still came, but we were both ready.
    www.crosscreeksporthorses.com
    Breeders of Painted Thoroughbreds and Uniquely Painted Irish Sport Horses in Northeast Oklahoma

Yeah! Go Virginia! Good for all of you!
    Producing horses with gentle minds & brilliant movement!
    www.whitfieldfarm.shutterfly.com

I don't recall the other thread, but there are so many options for pain relief, I hope you find something that will keep her comfortable. I had to have 3 older dogs put down in the last year and a half. One was due to heart/liver problems, and the other 2 had severe arthritis/spinal degeneration that even the strongest meds no longer helped. You'll know when it's time, as long as your primary thought is whether the dog has a quality of life.

The video was lovely. And while I generally am not fond of kids, the kids in the video are so cute. Virginia certainly is well loved.

What a very special guardian the children had in her. She is a beautiful dog and obviously much loved. Enjoy each and every day more that you share.
    "I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you..."

Outside Ocala FL - Horse Capital of the World

Your loving tribute to Virginia brought tears to my eyes. May you count each of the remaining days you have with your dear dog as a blessing, as you have been blessed with all those wonderful days and memories that you have had in the past.
    There are friends and faces that may be forgotten, but there are horses that never will be. - Andy Adams

It has been a week and I am sure I made the right decision.

Jetsmom - I am sorry about the loss of your dogs this past year. I can understand your pain. Virginia will tell us when it is time and I think for now we can keep her comfortable. As an aside - I think that you would fall prey to the cuteness of my 3 year old. When my older daughter did something and got in serious trouble the 3 year old looked over and said, "Well that didn't go well for her." She says the most hilarious stuff.

When I told the 3 year old about Virginia being put to sleep she simply said, "No, I don't think so." I guess she was right.
    Last edited by Weighaton; Jul. 10, 2010 at 03:52 PM. Reason: **

Enjoy your extra time.

I think it's different for every dog, and we need to just be tuned in enough that we know when it *is* time.

I may have posted this before, but I wish every older, larger dog came with one of these to help with stiffness and mobility issues.

Your girls and that dog, oh my, I am in tears. What a lovely family and so glad Virginia will still be a part of it. It hits me particularly hard as I was pregnant several times but have no children and I have a lovely black labby named Abby. I am just overwhelmed. So happy she is still with you.
    "I have brought on the hatred of Wall Street and I relish it".
    Franklin Delano Roosevelt

My dear old Sasha had a very bad experience and I called the vet to put her down. She could not get up, and basically was not able to use her hind end. She also just wanted to sleep, but when I wanted her to go out, she could not use her hind end at all, and just kept falling down.

I asked the vet if it would be ok to come out the next day to put her to sleep. She agreed. I figured Sash was ok just lying there and sleeping, and didn't appear to be in any kind of pain.

Around 3 that afternoon she got up, took a walk around the entire farm, then sat out in front of the barn and just gazed all around like as if to say, aaahh, that was close, but not my time yet. Sasha lived quite comfortably for another year and each day was a blessing for me.

I hope your Virginia lives many more days. I have been giving another old dog I have previcox(NSAID). All my dogs get cosequin asu. Bless Virginia for more time with you and the kids, and hats off to you for making the decision to not make the decision.

Calamber - I am so sorry for your losses. The loss of the baby by far the worst experience of my life. I had no idea what to expect and to ice the cake I was totally alone. My mother-in-law came to watch the children at 11 o'clock at night and my husband was up in Oregon. I drove myself to the hospital.

Fivehorses - I am in the same situation. It was the right thing to wait. And I appreciate every minute I look over and V is still laying there. She is getting a lot more hugs and kisses.

UPDATE - Well here we are over a year later and sweet Virginia is still snoring at my feet. She is much grayer and much slower but still here. I can't believe it. I told my husband we needed to start thinking about her co-pilot soon but that I could not handle a puppy right now. I told him I wanted a bit older settled dog. Sunday I took my girls to the park and there was the most gorgeous yellow lab running loose. We took her home and after a week of searching finally found her owners. By then my girls were really attached. Long story short the owner told me that the dog runs away every chance she gets and if we want her we can have her. So Gravy, yes Gravy, and Virginia, Salt and Pepper are snoring away. And Gravy hasn't tried to run away even once. Good days.

Wonderful update

What an amazing, wonderful dog! It is lovely tribute. Enjoy the time you have with her. She obviously wasn't done yet. And having a younger one will help to keep her going longer. We got our two corgis when our Shepherd/Great Pyr mix was 12 and seemed to be fading. Having the pups around reinvigorated him and gave him another 18 happy months.
    www.heartofgoldfarm.com

RIP "Rio" (BW-Clarion) 2000-2009. Bright Spirit, Brave Heart, Loving Soul. I'll love and miss you forever.

Thanks so much for updating.
    I posted about my Sasha, and getting that extra year or two and it made so much difference for me when the final day did come.

Congrats on Gravy. Dogs are pack animals, so I would think Virginia is happy to have the companionship.

I re-watched your video, and what a lovely video of how one dog is so loved by her family, and shares in their life. Lucky dogs you have.

As I watched, I also thought, now here are some kids who are being brought up to love animals. Good job Mom!
    save lives...spay/neuter/geld

wonderful, wonderful tribute.........and great update news...

having had labs for 30 years, your pics broke my heart, but made me smile, too.........i have so many that are similar to yours........good dogs, good dogs.......

makes me realize i must take more pics of my current canine crew...........good dogs all, as well.......

thanks for sharing