The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Funny Vet Story...

I was at the barn yesterday and heard a great story:

Vet tells client that his horse has thrush and to treat with bleach/water half& half.

Client calls vet a few days later and says it isn't getting better it's getter worse and smells terrible.

Vet goes out and you guessed it

Client mixes bleach water and....HALF & HALFtm.
    "I can't help but think good horsemanship has to
    do with the mind." Maria Bertram, Mansfield Park by
    Jane Austen.

"The stumbler doesn’t build her life by being better than others, but by being better than she used to be."
    David Brooks

That was funny, just right to start a morning.

LOL I have a funny vet story also.. So vet comes out to do some health certificates on a few horses. Once he was done we were talking in the isle way for a while. Then he gets in his truck and leaves. Ten mins later he pulls back up and hops out and walks up to me.. Says he left the thermometer in one of the horses.. LOL!!!! So we go out to where they were tied up and sure enough we found it!!! LOL in tack and fine. It was so funny, now we can make fun of him all the time.

Sounds like my vet. Always muttering...

"Some asshole's got my pen"...

Vet examines horse for eye inflammation and advises client that along with other medications, to use vaginal cream and to pick some up at drug store.

Several days later, Vet checks by, determines eye is not improving like it should. "You are putting that vagina cream in her eye, aren't you?" he asks.

"Her eye?" she replies as light bulb goes on over her head. "I was wondering how..."

You get the picture!
    “There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Sansena View Post
    Sounds like my vet. Always muttering...

"Some asshole's got my pen"...
    Laurie Higgins
    www.coreconnexxions.com

hahahahaha that was a funny for the morning! Thanks!

Oh my gosh, these are great!!

Quote Originally Posted by AnastasiaBeaverhousen View Post
    I was at the barn yesterday and heard a great story:

Vet tells client that his horse has thrush and to treat with bleach/water half& half.

Client calls vet a few days later and says it isn't getting better it's getter worse and smells terrible.

Vet goes out and you guessed it

Client mixes bleach water and....HALF & HALFtm.
    And people wonder why some of us are reluctant to dispense potentially dangerous drugs...
    "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

...just settin' on the Group W bench.

Newbie horse owner, grooming her horse in the aisle.
    I comment that her horse has a lot of dapples.

Newbie - "Should I call the vet?"

We still laugh over that one!

Default Too Funny!

God Bless the good vets of this world who put up with us crazy horse people!

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

Quote Originally Posted by Frank B View Post
    Vet examines horse for eye inflammation and advises client that along with other medications, to use vaginal cream and to pick some up at drug store.

Several days later, Vet checks by, determines eye is not improving like it should. "You are putting that vagina cream in her eye, aren't you?" he asks.

"Her eye?" she replies as light bulb goes on over her head. "I was wondering how..."

You get the picture!
    Hahahaha awesome! This reminds me of one of the funnier moments of last summer...One of the ranch horses (appaloosa) had eye boogers and we used baby a** wipe around his eyes. Literally. Well, horse was a bit headshy so this was sometimes a complicated operation. Heard from the corral one morning was my co wrangler saying in exasperation, "Whatever bud, have baby a** wipe on your eye, I don't care." Obviously she didn't mean it. Luckily there weren't any guests within hearing distance at the time.
    Last edited by Event4Life; Jul. 9, 2010 at 06:51 PM.
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

Literal interpretation can be a curse, can't it?
    What You Said vs What They Heard

Not a vet, but this reminded me.

DH used to mispronounce "cardboard".
    From him it sounded like "Cow board"

I used to correct him to no avail until the day a customer was asking for his advice and said advice included the dreaded C-word.
    Customer seemed perfectly satisfied with advice given.

Tom gave me the "See, Told ya so" look...just before his customer asked him - in all seriousness:

"So tell me, where do I get the cowboard ?"

2Dogs Scores & wins!!!!!!
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

I was working at a barn where the BO was not always great about informing the staff (well, me) about upcoming vet appointments. So, there were times when the vet would pull in the driveway for a scheduled visit that I was never informed about.

On one occasion, I'd already turned out a horse that was on the vet's schedule for the day. Rather than having me go out and catch the horse again, he really only needed to give it an IM injection so he ended up giving me the prepared syringe to administer myself when I brought the horse back in.

It wasn't a time-sensitive thing, so he told me to just put the syringe in the fridge for the day. The BO happened to be standing there and asked if the medication was also light-sensitive. . .because what if the light in the refrigerator affected the meds?

The vet just stared at her blankly for a moment, and replied, "as long as you keep the refrigerator door closed, there shouldn't be a problem."
    Please copy and paste this to your signature if you know someone, or have been affected by someone who needs a smack upside the head. Lets raise awareness.

I went to vet tech school with a friend who works in a pretty rural practice. One day, she had an older client come in with a Beagle that was itching. The owner couldn't afford much, so they dispensed prednisone and recommended he give it Benedryl.

A couple days later, the old man calls and says he's having trouble medicating the Beagle with the Benedryl. Sallie suggests that he wrap it in some cheese to make it easier to give.

Pause.

Owner says slowly and disbelievingly (imagine rural Virginia accent):

"Yew wan' me ta put cheese up this dawg's butt?"
    Life would be infinitely better if pinatas suddenly appeared throughout the day.

Oh dear lord above, that last one made me laugh!!!!!!

These are all great, especially because they are TRUE!

I boarded at a really rural barn where the owners solution to wounds was 'pack it full of grease and wrap it!' His 'grease' was bag balm, but it was always fun to watch the new comers try to figure out if he meant bacon grease or the kind for cars! He had one boarder who came up to the barn really pissed off after catching her horse in the field. Started going on and on about the kind of place he was running, and what was he gonna do about it, cuz 'somebody done stole the shoe off my horse!" I about peed my pants laughing. Unfortunatly she was dead serious, apparently the thought it could fall off had competely escaped her!

Some of the great things we get to hear working in a practice will really make our day! But honestly now that I'm in a small animal practice I don't get as many good ones, horse people really are the best!

Were talking to a dog owner about their dog having seizures, told them it was likely due to epilepsy. Ms asked 'where do they catch THAT???"

Katherine
    Vet Tech

Vet came out to see a horse. Brought a visiting vet from UK with her. Human kids' pet angora kid goat came to see what was happening, jumped around and played the way they do. Visiting vet asks kids "what sort of sheep is that?". Kids "It's a goat". (Need tone of voice here too, real dead pan, little boy deep voice.) Visiting vet goes red, mutters, walks away.

Best one here...

My mare kicked the immortal crap out of another mare in the field. We're talking huge baldspot above mare's hip. We come out, because I feel horrible. We wait with owner for vet.

Vet pulls in, vet looks horse over and says...."Okay, where exactly was the inital impact?"

My husband and I both were biting our lips hard to try not to laugh....UH, you see that big chunk of hide missing up there, I'm not a vet...but I'm pretty sure that's were the inital contact occurred.