The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Rescue pony - any guess at a breed?

We took in this pony who desperately needs some TLC. She's got great ground manners and is very personable and it's obvious that she was someone's very nice pony. She's 13.1 hands with good solid legs and a brand on her right hip that we can't really see yet. She's built more like a horse than a pony.

Her story and pics here:
    http://ctgponies.blogspot.com/2010/07/rosie.html

Any guesses as to what breed she might be? She supposedly rides well and was ridden last week but no one will be riding her until she has a lot more meat on her bones. She actually looks worse in person, close up.

Sorry - I meant to post this in Off Course. Mods, can you please move. Thanks.

Its hard to tell, but she looks a WHOLE lot likea skinny female version of my 20 yr old racking horse who stands a whopping 14.1 Ask Chocomare if you dont believe me. It may just be a trick of the camera or the way she is standing, but her hocks look a little crooked (a good thing in a gaited pony) , and her ears have that cute little hook that Saddlebreds do, making me really wonder if she is not some sort of cross of a Welsh and ASB or Welsh and TWH...Good crosses either way.

Needless to say, I think she is ADORABLE
    http://community.webshots.com/album/548368465RfewoU[/url]

She may not have changed the stars from their courses, but she loved a good man, and she rode good horses….author unknown

Looks like a TWH to me. Poor baby. thanks for taking care of her! She needs so much!
    Steph

http://community.webshots.com/user/stephanne014

Rerider/Haydunker Clique

RIP Barbaro, you were my hero!

Looks gaited to me.

Whatever she is, she's got a lovely face and will clean up real nice indeed. Good luck with her.

I thought she looked like mini version of the TWH gelding that we had (who looked like her when we got him and gained 160 pounds in 6 months) but she's small (13.1 hands) and she definitely trots (we have been hand walking her and we trotted her in hand to see if she was gaited). No gait that I can tell. And I've seen her canter in the pasture - she's a zippy little thing.

Quote Originally Posted by JetsBuddy View Post
    I thought she looked like mini version of the TWH gelding that we had (who looked like her when we got him and gained 160 pounds in 6 months) but she's small (13.1 hands) and she definitely trots (we have been hand walking her and we trotted her in hand to see if she was gaited). No gait that I can tell. And I've seen her canter in the pasture - she's a zippy little thing.
    Don't let that fool you. Mine has a huge animated trot in the pasture and racks a hole in the ground under saddle, no trot there, but no rack on a leadline either...
    http://community.webshots.com/album/548368465RfewoU[/url]

She may not have changed the stars from their courses, but she loved a good man, and she rode good horses….author unknown

First of all THANK YOU for helping this poor pony. "Rosie" has some very fine ears and may well be a TWH or something close. Actually look like saddlebred ears to me! You may have an easier time figuring out what she is once she puts on a little weight.

Good luck to you.

Holy music warning Batman!

She looks cute, and I agree that with those hocks she might be a racking pony. Or she might not, hard to tell. Cutey face though, good luck with her.
    COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

Jingles for Rosie ~ bless you for helping her ~
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"