The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Talking Saddle Dilemma (Not a fitting question!)

So my horse is incredibly hard to fit a saddle to. On a budget. I bought used last year and, according to the saddle fitter it did the job. Me and my horse say different. Actually, it's probably better for him than for me; I remember thinking I could live with it because it fit him. Nope; it's going back on consignment.

I have NO money to spend right now on a dressage saddle, custom or otherwise. I think I'm going to start saving my pennies for a Black Country. I used to have one (bought used) but I sold it when I bought this guy.

Now, what does my horse go well in right now? Of all things, a wintec western saddle. He's comfortable, brings his back up, and can really move. Any one think they could build a . . .um. . . English looking saddle on this tree?

Really, though, I'd like to get my guy out to some schooling shows just for the experience. Do you think I could ride HC in my western saddle without getting laughed at too hard?
    Last edited by cmdrcltr; Jul. 7, 2010 at 07:19 PM. Reason: adding to title

At the local schooling dressage show here, you can ride in a western saddle for a score. It's not a problem. Call the organizer and ask.

I assume you tried a wintec dressage saddle.
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

Ahh yes, we've tried wintec dressage, too flat for his banana back. Why then does the western work you might ask? I have no idea. Maybe because I did buy a $100+ saddle pad that fills in the hollows behind his withers.

My wintec cc fits him adequately, but I can't sit the trot in it to save my life. I wonder if that's a by product of the cair and the cushy seat?

I will call and ask; I like the judge who will be at this show and would love to get her feedback.

So. . .

I emailed the person who will be judging an upcoming show. ( I felt comfortable doing so as I just scribed for her at another show.) She says she doesn't think it would be allowed as "schooling shows are supposed to follow USDF rules as closely as possible."

I'm contacting the president of my local GMO to see what she has to say.

It really sucks when your horse is hard to fit with most "off the rack" saddles.

I think you should be able to ride in it if you ride HC (no prizes).
    Check with the secretary.

This is what Charles de Knuffy says about saddles on his website:

<<The saddle need not be expensive, and for basic training, many Western saddles will do.>>

and this is what Herman Friedlander once told me:
    <<You ride the horse, not the saddle.>>

be patient. the right saddle will appear.
    Last edited by lizathenag; Jul. 8, 2010 at 06:58 PM.
    A man must love a thing very much if he not only practices it without any hope of fame or money, but even practices it without any hope of doing it well.--G. K. Chesterton

I have pictures of an adorable mare I sold several years ago competing at a schooling dressage show in a western saddle, not because of saddle fit, but because the owner prefers her western saddle.*shrug* It would be a shame if your gmo and the show secretary didn't allow you to use a western saddle, especially to show HC.