The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Cut flowers for equestrians

What kind of cut flowers do you think are best for equestrians? I'm making some floral arrangements and I'm wanting to have a dinner party using them as centerpieces. Any ideas what flowers would best showcase a horse related theme?

I know nothing about flowers...but how about horsetail, horse chestnuts and horse radish?
    (that's all the horse one I can think of)
    Craft stores around here carry little tiny bales of straw, about the right size for a centerpiece. Only about $1-$2 each. How about something like that with flowers stuck in them? Arranged nicely...of course.
    Horsetail sticking up among flowers on a little bale would look nice I think.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

That is good ideas!!

I went to a barn party where the centerpieces were baskets full of carrots and apples, red and green, plus some decorative greens and they were beautiful. I also went to a barbeque where the centerpieces were cowboy boots with daisies in them on red and white checked cloths. It was really cute. We drank out of mason jars and the plates were metal pie plates (think Marie Callender's). The napkins were bandanas.

Oh very cool! I like those ideas as well. I usually serve champagne and cocktails in various glasses I have won over the years with my beloved Saddlebreds, but, I'm really liking those ideas. Any ideas on cocktail glasses would be appreciated as well I am enjoying giving small summer dinner parties and the equestrian theme is the best tow work with for me

What about a rose blanket kinda thing like they hang on the horse after a championship win... errr sumthin'
    If i'm posting on Coth, it's either raining so I can't ride or it's night time and I can't sleep.

We had a social at our hunt club one year where they took small sized paddock boots (kids sizes) stuck a glass in the boot so the boot then became the vase... it was great... assume could do something similar w/ cowboy boots too... depending on whether your equestrians favored Western or English riding.. you could also go to a craft store and get a horse or horse-themed stamp and ink pad and make your own equestrian napkins...

As far as floral arrangements go... I would expect any type of flower would be good except tropicals... certainly black-eyed susans (think Preakness) daisies, carnations and roses would be good - more of your wild field like flowers

Dried wheat and oat stalks with sunflowers and something purple would be a really lovely farm-themed arrangement.
    Join a new horse sim where you can train, show and breed dressage horses, jumpers and eventers! Fun and free with mature players.
    Join Horse Eden Eventing Today !