The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

View Poll Results: Would you want to know?

Voters
114. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I would want to be told

106 92.98%
  • No, not if it happened early in the retraining.

8 7.02%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Would you want to be told?

Hypothetically, let's say you have a horse with a dangerous training issue. One that has gotten you hurt and has made you afraid to ride your horse. So you send your horse for 2 months training. Two weeks into the training, the horse pulls its dangerous habit on the trainer, and the trainer gets mildly hurt.

Would you want to know?

If the incident happenned near the end of the training period it would be a no brainer to me that the owner should be told so they can be aware before possibly getting on the horse, but at the beginning, would hearing this just reinforce your fear of the horse?

ABSOLUTELY = YES !
    Last edited by Zu Zu; Jul. 7, 2010 at 06:18 PM. Reason: addition
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"

My vote would be yes -- I would want to know that the horse pulled the same stunt with trainer. I would also be happy that the horse pulled the same stunt wiht the trainer. I think that helps the trainer understand the problem, and therefore be better prepared to deal with it. It would not necessarily reinforce my fear of the horse.

I would think if you sent your horse away for training that you should be updated on how he's progressing - both good and bad news. I would definitely want to know no matter at what point in the training it happened....

Absolutely. It benefits no one to gloss over the behaviour in training, particularly if that's why the horse is with the trainer to begin with.
    Jer 29: 11-13

Quote Originally Posted by filly78 View Post
    I would think if you sent your horse away for training that you should be updated on how he's progressing - both good and bad news. I would definitely want to know no matter at what point in the training it happened....
    This.

In addition to what the others have said I'd also like to know what the trainer did to rectify the behavior, how they rode differently, how they changed/diffused the situation, if the horse pulled the same stunt again with equal/more/less effort, etc.
    "Beware the hobby that eats."
    Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by CHT View Post
    Hypothetically, let's say you have a horse with a dangerous training issue. One that has gotten you hurt and has made you afraid to ride your horse. So you send your horse for 2 months training. Two weeks into the training, the horse pulls its dangerous habit on the trainer, and the trainer gets mildly hurt.

Would you want to know?

If the incident happenned near the end of the training period it would be a no brainer to me that the owner should be told so they can be aware before pohttp://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/member.php?u=93564ssibly getting on the horse, but at the beginning, would hearing this just reinforce your fear of the horse?

if you have told them then they should tell you how things are going and you should go and see for yourself

if you havent told them all the fact of what the horse like then you should

I had a training horse that came to me to be started a year ago. He had a VERY fearful owner, so I was always careful with how I worded things with her, but I NEVER left her in the dark. For the first 30 days he was a saint, then he started this habit of bolting and dumping me on the arena rail. I told her, mainly because I never want to leave my clients in the dark, but also because I suspected that he had a soundness issue - which he did end up having. He managed to get me off several times - once cracking my rib, and while I underplayed how incredibly painful it was, I of course told her.

After we got the soundness issue treated, he ended up leaving as a nice quiet trail horse, and I think his owner was thankful that I kept her so up to date with his training process.

Depends on the owner. Personally, I would like to be told, but I also don't freak out over horse issues and have been in the trainer position on some rather spoiled horses who needed fixing.

However, I have absolutely known owners in the past who really did not need to know that maresy was a bit of a rearer when she first came into training or liked to buck or whatever. My grandma (trainer) actually had one owner thank her one time for NOT being overly detailed about the issues her mare came into training with - she said she would never have been able to ride her without that fear. In that case, the horse was basically "cured" (as much as they can ever be) of her issue, and the owner was the type that would have tensed and been more likely to cause issue if she'd known. The mare had come from a sale, so our customer didn't know much about her background.

Anyway, with pretty much all owners, I would absolutely keep them up to date on training when something majorly good or majorly bad happened. Even with an owner that probably shouldn't know, I would tell them if they asked or had said they wanted to be informed on every issue the horse presented. Some owners that have fear issues and are nervous nellies, well, if they don't need to know or have said they don't want to know, I can understand that. I would never knowingly lie or keep something from an owner that they asked about or really should know for safety's sake - even if they thought they didn't want to know, haha.

Yes, I would want to know.
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

Northeast Ohio, where mud rules your world...

ya know, as a trainer, i say it depends.

Am I aware as the trainer that the horse has a problem or did the owner neglect to tell me?

What was the problem? is it life threatening to humans?

How badly am I hurt?

If I tell the owner, will the owner freak out?

Is the owner ever going to be horseman enough to ride the horse, especially if the problem may rear its ugly head again?

Lots of ifs in this instance. Of course, I look at my own long term safety as well as what's best for horse and owner.
    ...don't sh** where you eat...

First off, if I sent the horse to the trainer with a specific problem, I would EXPECT the horse to pull the same stunt with the trainer.

If the horse DIDN'T exhibit the behavior, there would not be much point.

Yes, I would expect to be told, but I would ot expect a big deal to be made of it.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

My most recent trainer gave me a written diary of each day's training, so I knew exactly what had happened, and what she worked on.

I liked that.

The trainer who had my horse before that had me pegged as a nervous adult novice who just didn't need to know. Made me feel just exactly the way I did as a child when the dentist's nurse would pass him the hypodermic behind her back. Imagination is often far worse than reality.

Yes, I would most certainly want to be told. Anything less is patronizing.

Yes, I would expect to be told, within reason. If, hypothetically, I had a rearer and it fell on the trainer and she was bruised but not seriously hurt, I would want to know because in all probability, I would not want her to keep training the horse. What if it did it again and seriously injured or killed her? OTOH, if she had my current horse, the megaspooker, and he spooked and she fell off and was bruised, I wouldn't feel like it was necessary for her to notify me, because hey, I know he can do a 180 like a polo pony, but he isn't going to do it and then stomp on you.

So I guess for me the key here is the DANGEROUS part. I wouldn't, as a client, necessarily expect to be told about the standard green or silly horse stuff, but I would want to know about the big stuff, rearing and bolting and aggressive behavior etc., because if the horse did it with the trainer and they were unable to deal with it once, there is no guarantee they will be successful the next time. I would at least want to know so that I can make an educated decision whether to continue.

As a pro who gets on silly or green horses but not dangerous ones, I definitely mention the dangerous stuff right away, but I don't think it's necessary to detail every crowhop or spook or snorty moment.

Yes every time. I need an open line of communication to the trainer and especially if trainer got hurt on my brat. If ya hit the dirt, nah I'm good but if it involved certified medical attention then yes I want to know even if it happens on day 1. I used to keep a dairy of the horses I worked with though I never trained a horse I didn't own. It kept the thoughts in order and the plan for said horse a goal. I am 100% sure though if I did train for an owner I would not let them see my personal notes on their brat I call a confidentiality clause on that. I tend to make a bargain with them I won't tell their dirty secrets if they won't embarrass me on sale day.
    Adoring fan of A Fine Romance
    Originally Posted by alicen:
    What serious breeder would think that a horse at that performance level is push button? Even so, that's still a lot of buttons to push.

Yes.
    Free bar.ka and tidy rabbit.

Interesting.

Most comments went to yes, so I decided to pose the question to the owner of said horse; "in his first month of retraining, do you want me to tell you if I come off him/he bucks?"

She thought about it, and decided she only wants to know if I think what I am doing is not working and we need to find another solution or he requires additional vet/body work.

She knows the issue is there, I guess she just doesn't want it hammered into her so she can rebuild some level of confidence/trust in the horse, as I think he CAN be fixed.

This is the first time I have ever come off of a training horse. Given his issues, it seemed likely though.

Yes, I would want to know!

Absolutely, yes. When The Hamburglar arrived at my trainer's place, I told her straight up that if he had any issues and was going to be too difficult to let me know immediately. Thankfully, she is the type to send horses back to their owners if the horse is too out of control, but she also has a pretty high tolerance level. Thank God, he has been a complete gem.

I've known trainers who will just gloss over the horse's issues and work around them, but never get to the root of the problem and then when the owner gets the horse back, the problem is still there. One of my friends had a really bad experience with sending her mare to a LBNT trainer like this. $4,000 later, after 4 months of "training," she got the horse back and the horse reared into walls during her first ride back home, which was worse behavior than what she started out with.

So yes, I would want to know. I would also want to know if you can't fix whatever problems might be there and to tell me up front instead of taking all of my money and then giving me back a horse that I can't do anything with. It isn't a matter of your pride if you can't fix the problem...it's a matter of someone else's safety.
    "It is not necessary for you to let everyone know everything about you. In fact, it is probably wise that you don't. There are some things that you need only discuss with God."