The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default New windpuffs

My guy showed up yesterday with a swollen knee(not painful to the touch, but slightly off on that leg) and when I brought him in to hose the knee today, he had a windpuff on one back leg. He has always had puffy ankles in the back, and had surgery on one in march(with some scar tissue, so its even bigger). On the same leg he had surgery, he has a windpuff about the size of half a golf ball. It was fluid, but kinda tough when he put his hoof all the way down, and it wasnt warm. He didnt care too much when I put pressure on it.

From what I understand, windpuffs are cosmetic and usually caused by hard work. This guy is 16 and has never had them before, is on 24/7 turnout and hasnt been ridden since his surgery in march. He was not off at all when I jogged him about 15 steps.

Is there anything else this could be or does this sound harmless? Any reason I should have the vet out?

call the vet out as your horse is more than likely lame due to his knee injury if on the opposite to the wind puff he wouldnt head bob so could appear to you as sound when hes not
    so get the vet out and have him look at your horse as it could be his old inury of the hind leg re appearing

his swollen knee was significantly better today and is on the same side as the windpuff. Does this make any difference? I will have the vet out tomorrow regardless, I just hadnt thought about the two making him look sound. thanks for pointing that out!

Quote Originally Posted by AliCat518 View Post
    his swollen knee was significantly better today and is on the same side as the windpuff. Does this make any difference? I will have the vet out tomorrow regardless, I just hadnt thought about the two making him look sound. thanks for pointing that out!
    still wont nod if hes lame on the same side as the knee to the untrianed eye as you cant see it,
    the horse will have to be trotted up on the flat in front of the vet to see wahts going on

more than likely will do a flexion test then ask you to trot away from the vet on each foot

very helpful, thank you!!