The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    it's not the edge of the earth, but you can see it from here

Lightbulb YouTube & Privacy: To critique or not to critique?

If I post, or allowed to be posted, video of myself riding, on a public website, such as YouTube, Google, etc.,

IS there any privacy?

Once that video is up--if I do not complain to the powers-that-be (who often take down videos within minutes) is it not fair game for 'educational' purposes, i.e.: critiques?

Why else would I post it in a public place, if not to... go public?
    InnisFailte Pinto Sporthorses & Coloured Cobs
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bits are like cats, what's one more? (Petstorejunkie)

Note that there are privacy settings on YOuTube that allows you to post a video and have it be private so that it can only be shared with those you choose, not EVERYONE.

If you post it for the public you are welcome to be cannon fodder IMO. You can also choose weither or not you allow or disallow comments, plus you have moderation ablities on YouTube.
    If i'm posting on Coth, it's either raining so I can't ride or it's night time and I can't sleep.

Maybe post it for ease of access for those you WANT to see it? Just because it's there doesn't mean random people should see it as open for criticism, unless the person asks for such.

Frankly, I agree with what everyone else, is basically saying, which is that there are ways of posting things while still keeping them private or semi-private, or making critique/comment (at least written) impossible. Therefore, if it's out there, one has to assume that the poster is okay with critique and/or comment.
    Vancouver Equine
    www.vaneq.com

It seems like nearly every video I watch, someone has taken it upon themselves to offer a critique, whether the person in the video is an Olympian or a beginner.
    I personally wouldn't critique someone's video unless asked to do so. Just like I wouldn't critique a rider or any other aspect of a persons life face to face unless asked for an opinion. I think it's pretty rude to offer unsolicited 'advice' in real life, and even more rude to do so hiding behind a computer when the person has no idea who you are or what your credentials might or might not be.
    That being said, if I were to post videos I would expect to recieve critique type comments. That seems to be the way things are at the moment, so if I was to post I would have my tough skin on and expect some harshness and take it all with a grain of salt.
    I've seen people recieve excellent critques and advice online, but would still tend to rely on my coach and those immediately around me to provide the more valuable feedback.
    I watch quite a few riding videos online. They are a really excellent learning tool and it would be a shame if the negativity got so bad that people were scared to post videos that were anything less than perfect.

OP... are you asking legally speaking, or are you asking the peanut gallery what they believe that people's manners should be?

One will be a short thread, the other might require some wine.
    http://dressageesquire.blogspot.com
    "The ability to write a check for attire should not be confused with expertise. Proficiency doesn't arrive shrink-wrapped from UPS and placed on your doorstep."

After reading about the pathological, nasty and cruel woman that was stalking people on youtube and posting nasty comments about their riding, I would never post anything there.

I agree with what others have said, set it to private so that only those you choose can see it. You don't want a nutter after you.
    Quote Originally Posted by alicen View Post
    We have no intentions of tarring and feathering anyone: this is now a thread about dipping Ryan Reynolds in chocolate.

Quote Originally Posted by Carolinadreamin' View Post
    After reading about the pathological, nasty and cruel woman that was stalking people on youtube and posting nasty comments about their riding, I would never post anything there.
    Who was doing that? Yikes.

PP, do you want it to be public? Are you open to critique? I wouldn't put anything on YouTube with an expectation of privacy, but I don't think everything is found, either. Defacto privacy, if you will. I've used YouTube to share a couple videos of my horse with my trainer and friends. I send a link so they can find and view them. But there isn't any searchable information that would encourage/allow others to find it. But yes, I know it's possible the videos may be found.

But if you add information: PintoPiaffe riding, period clothing, side-saddle, at WEG ... then I suppose people would see it and comment.

I agree with what others have said, set it to private so that only those you choose can see it. You don't want a nutter after you.
    As one of those she targeted .... I have to admit there are a couple videos that are "private" as in " you need the link to see them." My sister and I started our youtube channel - heck, got the camera - for our mother. She lives 3 hours away and says with the videos she feels like she's here with us, involved in our riding, and the training. But having someone stalking/attacking me on there did restrict what I would post. For example - my little project horse I post about here now and then? I have a recent ride, approximately her 24th ride, where she's acting very much like a green horse. I called it "Nya NAUGHTY!" But there's nothing truly naughty ... she's just green. It's cute to watch, fun to document the progression in her training, but I knew if I posted it I would have comments about the ride.

It's a lot easier to make them public for my mother to see them. And I fully expect to find critiques, etc., because they are public. It's not hard to either set them to no comments, or delete bad ones, etc. But I don't put keywords on them, and they aren't going to be so highly popular that people will ever search and find them.
    If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude.
    ~ Maya Angelou

Quote Originally Posted by Quest52 View Post

please pick the long thread,please pick the long thread....

Tamara in TN
    Production Acres,Pro A Welsh Cobs
    I am one of the last 210,000 remaining full time farmers in America.We feed the others.

I'm not posting videos of my first dressage show because I would expect people to comment. If I shut off comments, I would expect a link with snotty comments on a message board somewhere.

Not that I'd use searchable words, and not that it would be *likely* to happen. But when it comes to privacy and what I choose to reveal, I expect the worse and use that to guide my decision-making process.

People who know me know that my horse and I were both working on fitness at the time, that he has some away-from-home issues to work through, etc. Strangers would look and go "wow, that was a crappy ride." With that expectation, it's just not something I choose to put out there.
    My horse is a dressage diva so I don't have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine
    If you have a fat gay horse that likes Parelli, you're really screwed

I do not believe that just because a video is "out there" that commenting anything that comes to mind is fair game.

MANY people on this bulletin board disagree, or at least behave as if the simple act of putting a video online is one and the same as saying you will graciously accept -and feel you deserve, no less- all rude, uneducated and misinformed comments directed your way by anyone who feels the urge to direct them. Anyone who posts a video "should know" that it will "invite comments" and if a video isn't perfect you should graciously bend over for whatever @$$ raping people in their infinite wisdom choose to dish out.

I disagree with this general consensus strongly. The OP controls what she puts ONTO the internet, but how classily or not someone reacts to it is THEIR deal. It is not the OPs responsibility to ensure that people are polite to her by not giving them the opportunity to be rude. It is the responders responsibility to have a little class, resist behaving like the lowest common denominator, and not take the opportunity to be rude. Sure, you can be an a-hole in response to a video, but you can also, you know, choose not to be. The choice you make says more about you than it does about the OP.

I feel the same way about all of this emphasis on "helping parents help their children cope with being cyber bullied." Um, where is the emphasis on "parents, make sure you monitor your eff kids to make sure they aren't bullying other people? Monitor their internet use not just to protect them but also to supervise their treatment of others on the internet. Give them DAILY messages about character, and developing some. Teach your kids to have some freakin' class."

Just because the weakling is there on the playground doesn't give you the right to attack. That is the common person's response. It is ordinary and lumps you right in with the lowest common denominator.
    Choose the classy person's instead. Teach your kid to be the one person who STICKS UP for the weakling on the playground, even if all the cool kids are piling on. Expect the same commitment to character from yourself.

And that is not the responsibility of an OP to do that for you.

it's not the edge of the earth, but you can see it from here

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Quest52 View Post
    OP... are you asking legally speaking, or are you asking the peanut gallery what they believe that people's manners should be?

Not sure (she says, sipping a nice Pinot Noir, coolish, even though it's not supposed to be chilled... )

Actually not about ME at all, as I have neither a camera nor the capability to watch videos.

Just sparked from another thread.

I guess it's kind of like blogging, IMO. If you make it public, then, well, it's public. Like it or not.

And why do you THINK PP will be sidesaddle/period/in COSTUME at WEG, huh? No way in hell I'd wear the shad there... not in THAT company! Even for a demo!
    InnisFailte Pinto Sporthorses & Coloured Cobs
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bits are like cats, what's one more? (Petstorejunkie)

Just remember that there are real sociopaths out there, on youtube, other BBs, etc. That's a good enough reason to set your videos to private so that only those that you choose can see them.
    Quote Originally Posted by alicen View Post
    We have no intentions of tarring and feathering anyone: this is now a thread about dipping Ryan Reynolds in chocolate.

Quote Originally Posted by pintopiaffe View Post

And why do you THINK PP will be sidesaddle/period/in COSTUME at WEG, huh? No way in hell I'd wear the shad there... not in THAT company! Even for a demo!
    Just a lot of search criteria. That, and the image made me smile a bit. I can just see the voluminous skirts, the feathered hat, (plum outfit, btw, black feathers) sidesaddle on a fish-belly-white pinto.

I posted some videos recently and was surprised at how much YouTube has been reconfigured by Google to be a social networking site. Google wants you to note the exact location of your video, they want people to subscribe to your videos instead of just listing the other videos by the posted to the right. You don't have to subscribe to watch the poster's other videos, but they make it seem so. Also, making the videos only available to friends is a joke. Anyone can become your friend, from what I can tell.

Facebook has infected the entire internet.
    2012 goal: learn to ride like a Barn Rat

A helmet saved my life.

I personally have two youtube acccounts- one that I use for clips edited to music and one that I put raw clips on for my barn friends to see. I use the one with my edited clips to comment, subscribe to people, etc. so that is the one that people use to subscribe to me. The other account, as I said, I just use for my friends and family so that they can give me their opinions if they like. Because i do not use that account to comment on others videos, etc., the only people that know it exists are those whom i told. Although i have never had anyone post rude comments on my videos

shhh it's a secret.. we can't talk about it or they will shut the thread down...

it's censorship you know.... (Trying to sound like a nutbag cause I'm annoyed the mods closed my thread about the previously mentioned subject.) Blame it on being preggo and bitchy.
    If i'm posting on Coth, it's either raining so I can't ride or it's night time and I can't sleep.

I'd like to point out another thing... it takes a certain kind of person to post a comment AT ALL on another's video.. I for one can RARELY be found watching a whole clip none the less wasting time typing out and sending a comment in. I think a lot of it is consider the source, if you don't know them and they are commenting... I tend to think they are sad little people with WAYYYY too much time on their hands. If it's someone you know... well we all know how petty the horse world can be. *shrugg* just because someone typed it out doesn't make it the truth.