The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Unhappy Hold my hand ......

And tell me there is hope ... or at least I am not the only heart over head person out there...

Tomorrow my weanling (8mth) starts his lifetime of Pentosan injections for DJD in one hock.

I've had him with me for three months and decided to have a 'check up' xray done on Tuesday.

His right hock has degenerative changes normally seen in middle aged horses.

He was injured at the breeders when he was two months old, had xrays and surgery for a chip that disappeared at three months then I am not entirely sure what the breeders did, I bought him at 2 weeks old and despite offering to foot the bill he didn't get any more vet treatment.

Anyway it's academic because the breeder offered to swap him out, and has said I can send him back as a yearling if he isn't sound ... but as if that is an option

I had him on Devils Claw from the day he got here and outwardly there has been a big improvement in the hock. He hasn't been lame ever, just bony changes that are half the size now.

Has anyone heard of a baby with this sort of issue going on to any sort of under saddle career?

He has a home for life with me regardless, but it would be nice to have a ray of hope to cling to ....

Default OH ! NO ! ~

OH ! ~ I am so sorry to read this ~ is this handsome "LUNA" ? ~ bless you for helping him. No knowledge of such ~ just Jingles for Luna and his owner. Jingle Jingle Jingle & AO ~ Always Optimistic ! Hoping some cothers will be able to show you the way to getting him sound for riding. Again, I am so very sorry ~
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"

Weese, I truly believe there is always hope. I am sending you my strongest jingles and best wishes. I really and truly hope all will be well.

http://community.webshots.com/user/ballyduff
    \"If you are going through hell, keep going.\" ~Churchill~

often between a rock and hard place in Ky

Is he too young for Tildren??? Could that help him???
    ___._/> I don't suffer from insanity.. I enjoy every
    ____/ minute of it! Member stick horse art lovers
    ';;;;;;; clique
    //__\\<-- Don't feed the llama!

I am pretty sure he isnt too young for OCD Pellets http://www.ocdpellets.com/home.php. I would give them a go, it couldnt hurt.
    Jingles for you and your boy!

Sending many jingles your way.

Sounds like an honest breeder to do a swap out. Sounds like a good idea.

Poor lil guy.

jingles for all.

Thank you so much for your kind words and jingles. The lack of positive outcome stories is a little disheartening, maybe I can be the first?

Yes Zu Zu it is the gorgeous Luna, so sad.

Thank you for your treatment options but I am in Australia not the US so we have to go with what we have.

He has been on a premium OCD prevention weanling feed since he got here and it has a mineral pellet in it that looks to be pretty much the same as the OCD pellet so he is covered there.

My vet is convinced Pentosan is the treatment and she is awesome so happy enough with the treatment. I have him on technyflex as well now.

Here's hoping we can arrest the changes and let's face it - a miracle would be a nice touch!

Swapping him out is not and option for me, although I agree it is a sign of a very ethical breeder and might even be the most logical thing - I could never put him on truck knowing he was to die at the end, just to get another one, it just isn't my nature.

I have him and love him and owe him the best life I can give him. It helps that I am fortunate to have enough land of my own to keep him for his lifetime, even if he is never more than a paddock ornament.

If you could spare a place for my little man in your prayer I would be grateful, who knows we might get that miracle.

My BO has raised a number of babies. One of her mares had navel ill in her hock as a foal. Probably not the same thing, but for the last 19 years she has been the best mare ever. She is known as the "sweetest horse that ever lived."

Need some inspiration? Read her story here: Arriba, the sweetest horse that ever lived

There's ALWAYS room for hope!

Yes, of course prayers and positive Jingles for Handsome Luna ~ he is super gorgeous ~~~~~ AO ~ Always Optimistic ~

Northern Virginia, 45 minutes east of paradise - 2 hrs during rush hour

If you believe the breeder will euthanize him if you swap out, perhaps you can work out a deal where she sends you a replacement but you keep him, too.
    "The mighty oak is a nut who stood its ground"

"...you'll never win Olympic gold by shaking a carrot stick at a warmblood..." see u at x

Luna will be in my prayers. And so will you. What a wonderful owner you are and what a lucky little guy he is to have found you, Weese.

I'll be very interested in your updates with the Pentosan.
    Last edited by zakkandtoto; Jan. 3, 2011 at 03:48 PM. Reason: typo

Weese, I am definitely going to keep you and Luna in my prayers. Just the mere fact that you are keeping Luna, rather than doing what most people unfortunately would do by swapping him out, I think the world of you.

It is so sad we have so many people who think that if a horse can't be used, then send them off. Heartless.

So, I will pray for you both and hope the Good Lord will help Luna become a fine horse that you can ride.
    I have heard the cosequin ASU is a super product. Corta flex has been useful on one of my horses, but it has a lot of yucca, or devils claw(can't remember, which mask, not help build). The PT at the vet hospital highly recommends it, as does my dog's surgeon. So, ...I am thinking it must be good.

I hope to read in a few years that you are training Luna to ride.
    Jingles and Prayers for Luna!~

Bumping up for a Luna update ~ Jingles ~